Any new rule changes for this year?

Started by leg turk, August 08, 2019, 02:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

The Badger forum is a little slow this time of year.  I was just wondering if there are any new NCAA rules we need to know before the new season kicks off? 

bigG

I don't know about any new rules, but the recent focus on hands to the face is a breath of fresh air.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

Quote from: bigG on August 09, 2019, 07:09:43 AM
I don't know about any new rules, but the recent focus on hands to the face is a breath of fresh air.

What, are they backing off on that this year?  It sure determined the outcome on a lot of close matches last year.

bigoil

Quote from: leg turk on August 09, 2019, 07:16:32 AM

What, are they backing off on that this year?  It sure determined the outcome on a lot of close matches last year.
Refs can warn now but I'm not sure how that will work on video replay.

bigG

Quote from: leg turk on August 09, 2019, 07:16:32 AM

I hope they stay tough on that. Eye gouging, nut grabbing, oil check are things that beg for punches top be thrown.

thesweep

I wouldn't say that hands to the face is equivalent to any of the following:  eye gouging, nut grabbing, oil checking.
However, I can understand wanting to limit opponents using it as a takedown setup.

With that said, hands to the face can be completely without intention and get called. I remember once it was called on a guy who was trying to defend a bodylock by pushing the opponents face from his chest to the side of his body so that he could get his hips back. "Hands to the face" is also commonly seen when a defensive wrestler is trying to establish head position but the opponent has a two-on-one. I don't think these calls are the intention of the rule.  Therefore, there needs to be a warning.

IMHO, these kids work too hard for important matches to decided by such a subjective call w/o a history of violating the rules.

bigG

I'm fine with the warning; and it is true that several losses have occurred because of the call. Like most rules, it is the result of people taking an action way too far.

You can't make calls based on a person's history, though being informed regarding some tactics is a ref-wise thing to do. The fact that is has gotten more objective, though, is a step in the right direction.

thesweep

When I said a "history," I just meant that they did it once in the match already.  Essentially, they were warned once in the match for doing it before being "dinged" for a point.

bigG