Wrestlers staying state

Started by Gordy M, February 16, 2021, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: madeyson on February 18, 2021, 01:25:04 PM
Quote from: Handles II on February 18, 2021, 12:20:29 PM
In a hometown-meet/greet with Bono and assistants he difinitively told our wrestlers and parents that at UW grades trump abilty. He said there are in and out of state guys that he wants to recruit but is 100% denied by admin based on their academics. Quite positive Barry Davis ran into the same exact issues. Can they bring in a kid or two and start them off on probation? Yes, that happens almost everywhere but you have to be an unreal talent AND have the attributes to become a solid student first.
Bottom line is what people have been saying for decades. Education comes first, sports second.

Agree with this, but let's not make an assumption that all of our in state hammers have poor academics - I know for a fact that is NOT the case.

Look at the all academic team this websight puts out and cross them with kids that placed top 3 in the state. Pretty amazing list with both academics and GPA.

So I agree with the education comes first then sports but looking at current wrestlers and former wrestlers that had both it is pretty amazing.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: Numbers on February 18, 2021, 10:34:05 AM
Quote from: Narwhal on February 18, 2021, 10:26:37 AM
Reading forums of other states. I read New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Minnesota, California, Arizona, Michigan; people in these other states are grumbling about 'super star' kids leaving their state to wrestling elsewhere. Just sayin'

But few complain when the home state college brings in a blue chip from out of state.

Man I busted a gut on that one. So true!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dman

Pretty sure no one on here is saying academics aren't important...of course they are.  What people are saying is that that can't be the only excuse for why kids aren't staying in WI to wrestle for the Badgers, or wrestling in college anywhere.  If you are going to say that then you are essentially saying that WI kids are so much more poor academically than most other states...which is not true.  Thus, why do we continually use academics as an excuse??  Sure you are going to have kids that can't handle both academics and participating in a college sport, but ALL states and colleges have that problem.

Again, I think it is up to us as parents/coaches/etc. to teach kids what it DOES take to get into college (academics, hard work, discipline, sacrifice, self believe, etc.), and not sit and blame one off things and make excuses as why WI kids don't go to the Badgers or wrestle in college anywhere. 

bigG

Might sound like an excuse but as much as some of my wrestlers would have loved to have gone into college wrestling they would not have loved college. Many had been working years before graduating high school, and already had a trade in place that paid better than any money I've ever made. Wanted to keep going but sure didn't want a 4 year schooling that they'd never have used. Much as I love wrestling it's hard on the bod. Masonry is, too, but masonry pays.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

In a hometown-meet/greet with Bono and assistants he difinitively told our wrestlers and parents that at UW grades trump abilty. He said there are in and out of state guys that he wants to recruit but is 100% denied by admin based on their academics. Quite positive Barry Davis ran into the same exact issues. Can they bring in a kid or two and start them off on probation? Yes, that happens almost everywhere but you have to be an unreal talent AND have the attributes to become a solid student first.
Bottom line is what people have been saying for decades. Education comes first, sports second.

Agree with this, but let's not make an assumption that all of our in state hammers have poor academics - I know for a fact that is NOT the case.
Who made that assumption?
Bono clarified that in some cases, his hands are tied. Period.
And if the kid can't stay eligible in college, they are no good for the college or the team.

madeyson

Quote from: Handles II on February 18, 2021, 02:45:30 PM

And if the kid can't stay eligible in college, they are no good for the college or the team.

This is a thread about why in state kids are not going to Wisconsin - and high academic standards continue to be brought up as to reasons why. That makes an assumption our in state kids don't have the academics to get into UW. I believe Minnesota has similar academic standards - and some of our in-state hammers are headed there next fall - so I don't think academics were the case there.

At the end of the day there is not one reason this is happening - is the Wisconsin coaching staff interested in our top level talent in the state? Are there some colleges offer better opportunities/scholarships for kids? What style of wrestling is this Wisconsin coaching staff after? I do believe Wisconsin wrestling is on the rise - many of the clubs - AWA, Crass, Aviators, Nazar, Sarbacker on and on and on - are elevating the game in Wisconsin wrestling. Whether they stay in Wisconsin or not is a complex and personal decision for each athlete and school.

dman

Quote from: madeyson on February 18, 2021, 03:51:18 PM

This is a thread about why in state kids are not going to Wisconsin - and high academic standards continue to be brought up as to reasons why. That makes an assumption our in state kids don't have the academics to get into UW. I believe Minnesota has similar academic standards - and some of our in-state hammers are headed there next fall - so I don't think academics were the case there.

At the end of the day there is not one reason this is happening - is the Wisconsin coaching staff interested in our top level talent in the state? Are there some colleges offer better opportunities/scholarships for kids? What style of wrestling is this Wisconsin coaching staff after? I do believe Wisconsin wrestling is on the rise - many of the clubs - AWA, Crass, Aviators, Nazar, Sarbacker on and on and on - are elevating the game in Wisconsin wrestling. Whether they stay in Wisconsin or not is a complex and personal decision for each athlete and school.

Bingo

And just add what I said...what are we doing as coaches/parents to help prepare kids for college.

Ghetto

Quote from: madeyson on February 18, 2021, 03:51:18 PM

The acceptance rate at Madison and at Minnesota are almost exactly the same. It is 2% "Harder" to get into Madison. I'd agree that it's similar.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

This thread comes up every year.

Do we want the best Badgers team we can have, or do we want in-state kids to wrestle in red? In a perfect world we'd want both things to happen.

Again, I'd say that O'Toole is the prize recruit that Bono missed on. He's brought in Braxton Amos, who is going to be a hammer, DJ Hamiti, among a bunch of other guys that are ranked high nationally. Things don't happen overnight. On top of that, he brought in transfers to fill the gaps, something that would never have happened under the last regime.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on February 18, 2021, 07:32:07 PM
This thread comes up every year.

Do we want the best Badgers team we can have, or do we want in-state kids to wrestle in red? In a perfect world we'd want both things to happen.

Again, I'd say that O'Toole is the prize recruit that Bono missed on. He's brought in Braxton Amos, who is going to be a hammer, DJ Hamiti, among a bunch of other guys that are ranked high nationally. Things don't happen overnight. On top of that, he brought in transfers to fill the gaps, something that would never have happened under the last regime.

And I know you know this but O'Toole committed within a couple of months of Coach Bono coming onboard.

Andersonman1234

If they truly want the kid almost any school outside of the IVY leagues can get kids in. Yes that's something they'll say at a meet and greet but they have slots allowed to get kids in. Now say football doesn't use all of there's which is never other sports get more slots. But I know we want to use the academics as an excuse why we can't keep anyone to stay but maybe have we thought about it maybe being the new regime? Anyone outside the state of Wisconsin calls this regime scummy, cheaters, etc. I don't have an opinion on them I'd like to get them a couple years and see where the guys are at. But every time Bono gets brought up it's never positive and I'm assuming kids are seeing what everyone outside the state are seeing as well.

npope

Quote from: Andersonman1234 on February 19, 2021, 02:20:39 PM
Anyone outside the state of Wisconsin calls this regime scummy, cheaters, etc.

I'm just glad that I don't have to be the one to defend that statement. Good luck.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

crossface21

If they truly want the kid almost any school outside of the IVY leagues can get kids in. Yes that's something they'll say at a meet and greet but they have slots allowed to get kids in. Now say football doesn't use all of there's which is never other sports get more slots. But I know we want to use the academics as an excuse why we can't keep anyone to stay but maybe have we thought about it maybe being the new regime? Anyone outside the state of Wisconsin calls this regime scummy, cheaters, etc. I don't have an opinion on them I'd like to get them a couple years and see where the guys are at. But every time Bono gets brought up it's never positive and I'm assuming kids are seeing what everyone outside the state are seeing as well.

I think you're absolutely wrong on the statement that if they truly want a kid they can get them in at Wisconsin.

bigoil

Yeah, I'm sure they do. That's why Cael has worked with Coach Bono and Reader. Joe Dubuque came here for a underground event. We went from having 1 female RTC athlete to three in a short period of time.

I'm sure there are people that don't like other coaches but if you have ever talked to Coach Bono or Reader you would be a fan and Seth as well.

Andersonman1234

I think you're absolutely wrong on the statement that if they truly want a kid they can get them in at Wisconsin.
[/quote]

I guess I should've been more clear if a kid has a 2.8 and 20 ACT or 1700 SAT they can get in. It's not impossible like you guys make it sound. Like I said they get slots and can contest it with the school. Not everyone can get in I agree but it isn't as hard as you make it sound. Some kids just want to go to other schools where they see best fit. If I'm a kid right now I don't see a reason to stay home unless it's  to save money in tuition.