Wrestler or Coaches Decision?

Started by Omaplata, November 09, 2015, 03:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omaplata

At the high school level how do most of you feel on position decisions going into 2nd and 3rd periods?  Should the wrestler always be looking in his corner for the coaches guidance on going neutral, top or bottom or Should the ultimate decision be on the wrestler?

DrSnide

Individual tournament should be the wrestler's decision

Dual meet should be the coaches
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

It's a dictatorship until they are seniors for us. It's their job to wrestle. They may not know the scenario or strategy in the moment.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

MNbadger

Always the coach. Sometimes I would give them the choice at that time.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

dozer

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Jzelinski

Regardless of who's decision it is they should always look to the corner. I want to look my wrestler in the eyes to make sure they know the situation.

Dale Einerson

Typically, I recommend starting a thread with a poll between each period, then go with the most popular answer.

Or, more seriously, it depends.

Dale Einerson

...or, the opposite of what Maggie says.

bigG

Dang match shouldn't have made it that far. I'm chewing that kid out for not having stuck duh bumb by then.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

boowrestle

Depends on the wrestler,but like to see all wrestlers looking to the coaches before making the choice.
you can run but you cannot hide.

lizard king

coaches decision, but if the kid really wants a different choice that is up to them but then they better be right.

EIUwrestler1

As stated above, it depends on the wrestler, one thing I believe for sure, you cant make a kid do the right thing if he thinks its the wrong thing. His heart will not be in it.  Sometimes you have to just clap your hands and go with it.

ramjet

Quote from: Dale Einerson on November 09, 2015, 05:52:14 PM
Typically, I recommend starting a thread with a poll between each period, then go with the most popular answer.

Or, more seriously, it depends.

I could do that if you like then everyone could add suggestions then I could add those to the poll at which point we could argue over the results and validity of said poll.  ;D

tess5

It would give us something to do while we wait for the boys and girls to hit the mat.

bkraus

My inaugural season as a head coach many years ago, I had a kid who was a state placer.  He was wrestling another kid who was a state placer.  We went into the third down 3-2.  We got the initial take down in the first.  We got reversed and rode out in the second.  Our choice in the third.  He looked at me and pointed down.  I shook him off and went neutral.  Got in on a bunch of shots but couldn't finish.  His dad went nuts on me that I had no idea what I was doing.  His son always gets out from the bottom, etc etc...  He proceeded to tell all the parents that I had no idea what I was doing, unbeknownst to him that my then wife was sitting right there.  The next day I got an email from him saying "I watched the tape, you made the right call, sorry about last night"
Strive for Perfection