Sectional b ashwaubenon

Started by statman, January 20, 2020, 06:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Quote from: downtown on January 22, 2020, 01:24:46 PM
Qualifying for sectionals in D1 is generally easier than qualifying for sectionals in D2 & D3 because you qualify half of the field.  But in D2 & D3 almost  all of those regionals only have 6 teams in them so its not that much easier to qualify for sectionals.  Getting through to state in a D1 sectional is very difficult where as qualifying for in D2 & D3 is easier just because of the numbers.  Plus you have much larger enrollment in D 1 so more kids go out for wrestling in the bigger schools generally.  I wrestled and coached in both D2 and D1 and without a doubt the level of talent is far deeper in D1 than D2 & D3.  It doesn't mean that the best kids at certain weights aren't from D3 schools.  It just means as a whole D1 has top to bottom better wrestlers.  It is simple numbers.  Your chance of having more athletes out for a team in Stevens Point with 2,088 kids versus Bonduel with an enrollment of 292 kids is likely.  It doesn't mean that Bonduel has no chance at beating Stevens Point.  It just mean statically Stevens Point has a huge advantage over them enrollment wise.

Not to continue down this path but the thread was started as "I took a look at the rankings this weekend and and this must be the toughest in the state...Does any other sectional compare?" So I would assume that is a discussion about how other sectionals compare.

In regards to large D1 schools "statically" having an advantage enrollment wise over smaller schools...also in the consideration is D1 schools have more opportunities for athletes. Large schools offer more sports/extra-curricular activities than D2/D3 schools and we see more one sport athletes in D1 schools so D1 schools potentially lose wrestling recruits to other sports. Thus the size advantage of a D1 school is diluted because of other opportunities. Many D3 schools have basketball and wrestling as winter sports and that is it. So if you want to be in a sport you go out for one or the other...which increases the pool at smaller schools

Stevens Point had 29 kids skin fold this year. Stratford had 31

statman

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 23, 2020, 07:50:49 AM
Quote from: emmitmac on January 22, 2020, 10:36:57 PM
Quote from: statman on January 22, 2020, 08:19:08 PM
I would say minor stumpf at 132. Sanderfoot lopez at 138. Hammen smith at 152. Lemke mashl at 160 if dembroski is done

I hope you're right. Leisgang bruss at 145? Talking to an Ashwaubenon Dad today, I can't see Dembrowski being able to make it back

You two should get a room.   8)

Do you have any predictions? Id love to hear who you think will make it through
they don't call me statman for nothin

Takedown Bro

Quote from: statman on January 22, 2020, 06:41:19 PM
Let it go... If you want to start at d1 vs d2 vs d3 thread go ahead... Otherwise stick to the ash sectional or tell me another d1 sectional that is comparative... Comparing d1 sectionals to d2 and 3 is just stupid... They dont even use the same format

Statman, I thought Luke Louison already posted that Racine St Catherine was a tougher D1 Sectional then then Ash one.  I know that one Stoughton is in is pretty tough one also....

thequad

Let it go... If you want to start at d1 vs d2 vs d3 thread go ahead... Otherwise stick to the ash sectional or tell me another d1 sectional that is comparative... Comparing d1 sectionals to d2 and 3 is just stupid... They dont even use the same format
It asked for other sectionals that compare!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

statman

Quote from: thequad on January 23, 2020, 11:41:38 AM

So your just going to ignore what i said after that about how its difficult to compare numbers from d1 to d2 and 3 because they dont even use the same format

bulldog

Quote from: statman on January 23, 2020, 12:18:14 PM
Quote from: thequad on January 23, 2020, 11:41:38 AM

So your just going to ignore what i said after that about how its difficult to compare numbers from d1 to d2 and 3 because they dont even use the same format

To be fair, you didn't say that until the middle of page 2. By then the door had been opened...

statman

You are right... I wish i could go back and clarify so we woukd have this stupid d1 vs d2 and 3 bs. All you get is people giving opinions on what sectional is tougher without having numbers to back it up.

wrastle63

Quote from: statman on January 23, 2020, 12:32:19 PM
You are right... I wish i could go back and clarify so we woukd have this stupid d1 vs d2 and 3 bs. All you get is people giving opinions on what sectional is tougher without having numbers to back it up.
Or have numbers that don't back up their point and actually make it worse.

DarkKnight

Thursday is always a good day. usually.

bulldog

Not to pick on you statman but you did make the statement "I took a look at the rankings this weekend and and this must be the toughest in the state...Does any other sectional compare?"

Isn't that giving an opinion on what sectional is tougher without any numbers presented to actually back up the statement? What did you think was going to happen? Of course people are going to chime in with their opinion. The Edgar Sectional has 5 ranked teams - 66 ranked wrestlers - 27 ranked in the top 6 - 7 are from Stratford. Statistically based on the parameters you initially set the Edgar Sectional is clearly tougher than the Ashwaubenon sectional.

So those ARE numbers to back it up...

Maybe more statistical parameters needed to be set to reduce the discussion. Like "is there a tougher D1 sectional?"

Maybe we should start the thread again and everyone can chime in and say "OH MY GOD statman...you are so right. This IS the toughest sectional in the state and nothing compares to it" Fastest way to hear others opinion...post yours on social media.

OH...and before I get beat up as a "D2 or D3 guy"...my boys both wrestled for D1 schools...

kpugh8680

This is a very entertaining debate!  Most of which has nothing to do with the original post.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

statman

Quote from: bulldog on January 24, 2020, 10:37:19 AM

Not to pick on you statman but you did make the statement "I took a look at the rankings this weekend and and this must be the toughest in the state...Does any other sectional compare?"

Isn't that giving an opinion on what sectional is tougher without any numbers presented to actually back up the statement? What did you think was going to happen? Of course people are going to chime in with their opinion. The Edgar Sectional has 5 ranked teams - 66 ranked wrestlers - 27 ranked in the top 6 - 7 are from Stratford. Statistically based on the parameters you initially set the Edgar Sectional is clearly tougher than the Ashwaubenon sectional.

So those ARE numbers to back it up...

Maybe more statistical parameters needed to be set to reduce the discussion. Like "is there a tougher D1 sectional?"

Maybe we should start the thread again and everyone can chime in and say "OH MY GOD statman...you are so right. This IS the toughest sectional in the state and nothing compares to it" Fastest way to hear others opinion...post yours on social media.

OH...and before I get beat up as a "D2 or D3 guy"...my boys both wrestled for D1 schools...

Are you for real... Did you read anything else i posted. You siad i didnt use any numbers myself... Look at the original post. I layed out how many ranked teams... How many ranked wrestlers... And how many ranked wrestlers in the top six... Those are numbers. I asked does any other sectional compare and someone gave a d2 sectional as an example and my response was it is hard to compare the 2 when they dont even use the same format. I mean like you really dont understand or are you just being difficult

bulldog

boy...statman seems to be a bit touchy on this one.  You are right...this IS the toughest sectional in the state and nothing compares to it. Your stats cannot be disputed. All D2 and D3 sectional cannot be compared to the Sectional b ashwaubenon because they send different numbers through regionals and on to state.

DarkKnight

Is Lopez dropping? 

and enough arguing. it's all senseless. good wrestling everywhere. its tougher in some places and in some brackets. ya ya ya. we know.

bulldog

You know...there is a thread specifically started to talk about specific sectionals. If the discussion was "who is going at what weight at the Ashwaubenon sectional" wouldn't this be better discussed there? It can be found under "2020 WIAA State Tournament Series" discussion...just a suggestion.

https://forum.wiwrestling.com/index.php?topic=50424.0