Sectional b ashwaubenon

Started by statman, January 20, 2020, 06:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

Quote from: downtown on January 22, 2020, 01:24:46 PM
Qualifying for sectionals in D1 is generally easier than qualifying for sectionals in D2 & D3 because you qualify half of the field.  But in D2 & D3 almost  all of those regionals only have 6 teams in them so its not that much easier to qualify for sectionals.  Getting through to state in a D1 sectional is very difficult where as qualifying for in D2 & D3 is easier just because of the numbers.  Plus you have much larger enrollment in D 1 so more kids go out for wrestling in the bigger schools generally.  I wrestled and coached in both D2 and D1 and without a doubt the level of talent is far deeper in D1 than D2 & D3.  It doesn't mean that the best kids at certain weights aren't from D3 schools.  It just means as a whole D1 has top to bottom better wrestlers.  It is simple numbers.  Your chance of having more athletes out for a team in Stevens Point with 2,088 kids versus Bonduel with an enrollment of 292 kids is likely.  It doesn't mean that Bonduel has no chance at beating Stevens Point.  It just mean statically Stevens Point has a huge advantage over them enrollment wise.

So, you're saying getting to the individual state wrestling tourney from a town out of Stevens Point is more difficult to getting to state from a town of Fennimore... you're using numbers a bit incorrectly.

downtown

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 22, 2020, 01:33:37 PM
Qualifying for sectionals in D1 is generally easier than qualifying for sectionals in D2 & D3 because you qualify half of the field.  But in D2 & D3 almost  all of those regionals only have 6 teams in them so its not that much easier to qualify for sectionals.  Getting through to state in a D1 sectional is very difficult where as qualifying for in D2 & D3 is easier just because of the numbers.  Plus you have much larger enrollment in D 1 so more kids go out for wrestling in the bigger schools generally.  I wrestled and coached in both D2 and D1 and without a doubt the level of talent is far deeper in D1 than D2 & D3.  It doesn't mean that the best kids at certain weights aren't from D3 schools.  It just means as a whole D1 has top to bottom better wrestlers.  It is simple numbers.  Your chance of having more athletes out for a team in Stevens Point with 2,088 kids versus Bonduel with an enrollment of 292 kids is likely.  It doesn't mean that Bonduel has no chance at beating Stevens Point.  It just mean statically Stevens Point has a huge advantage over them enrollment wise.

So, you're saying getting to the individual state wrestling tourney from a town out of Stevens Point is more difficult to getting to state from a town of Fennimore... you're using numbers a bit incorrectly.

Statically yes getting to state while wrestling for Stevens Point is much more difficult than qualifying for state if you are from Bonduel.  Think of it this way.  If you are from Steven Point you have 2,000 kids in your school.  In your sectional you have 15 schools very similar enrollment wise to yours.  So you have a total sectional enrollment of 32,000 kids who possibly COULD wrestle.  Of those 32,000 kids  28 of them will qualify for the state tournament.  So you have a .000875% chance of qualifying for the state tournament.  If you are from Bonduel you have 25 other teams with enrollment similar to yours in your sectional.  So you have 7,800 kids total who possibly could wrestle.  Of those 7,8000 kids 42 of them will qualify for the state tournament.  So you have a .005385% of qualifying for the state tournament.  You are 6 times more likely to qualify at Bonduel than you are in Stevens Point.

I know that there are several outliers.  Like wrestling is more popular of a sport in the south west corner of the state in D3.  The north east part of the state in D2 is brutally tough.  But numbers are what they are.  That is why top to bottom D1 has the best wrestlers overall.  They have so many more kids to pick from. 

Fennimore, Stratford and Coleman are rolling this year and have some of the best teams in the state all divisions.  If not maybe even the best.  But it is easier to qualify for state in D3 at their respective schools.  Wrestling is very popular at those schools and I would bet that over 1/3 the boys in the school are out for wrestling at those schools.  Probably about 30-40 boys out for wrestling.  Could you imagine if Stevens point had 30% of all of the boys in their high school wrestling!   2,000 kids in the school half are boys so 1,000.  30% of them wrestling would be roughly 350 kids out for 14 varsity spots.  That team would be unstoppable.  Wrestling just isn't as popular at the larger schools.

1Iota

Quote from: downtown on January 22, 2020, 02:13:19 PM

Statically yes getting to state while wrestling for Stevens Point is much more difficult than qualifying for state if you are from Bonduel.  Think of it this way.  If you are from Steven Point you have 2,000 kids in your school.  In your sectional you have 15 schools very similar enrollment wise to yours.  So you have a total sectional enrollment of 32,000 kids who possibly COULD wrestle.  Of those 32,000 kids  28 of them will qualify for the state tournament.  So you have a .000875% chance of qualifying for the state tournament.  If you are from Bonduel you have 25 other teams with enrollment similar to yours in your sectional.  So you have 7,800 kids total who possibly could wrestle.  Of those 7,8000 kids 42 of them will qualify for the state tournament.  So you have a .005385% of qualifying for the state tournament.  You are 6 times more likely to qualify at Bonduel than you are in Stevens Point.

I know that there are several outliers.  Like wrestling is more popular of a sport in the south west corner of the state in D3.  The north east part of the state in D2 is brutally tough.  But numbers are what they are.  That is why top to bottom D1 has the best wrestlers overall.  They have so many more kids to pick from. 

Fennimore, Stratford and Coleman are rolling this year and have some of the best teams in the state all divisions.  If not maybe even the best.  But it is easier to qualify for state in D3 at their respective schools.  Wrestling is very popular at those schools and I would bet that over 1/3 the boys in the school are out for wrestling at those schools.  Probably about 30-40 boys out for wrestling.  Could you imagine if Stevens point had 30% of all of the boys in their high school wrestling!   2,000 kids in the school half are boys so 1,000.  30% of them wrestling would be roughly 350 kids out for 14 varsity spots.  That team would be unstoppable.  Wrestling just isn't as popular at the larger schools.

I have always used the WWF Freestyle State as a snapshot of how the talent is divided among the divisions.  Last year of the 14 weight classes in the Junior division, 8 champions hailed from D-1 schools, 3 from D-2, & 3 from D-3.  This is obviously not an exact science, or a full picture, but I think it provides somewhat of a snapshot. 

emmitmac

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 22, 2020, 01:28:10 PM
I know we're prolly getting off topic from ashwaubenon sectional, which i agree has a ton of tough matchups. Especially like 138.

In the Westby sectional in D3 with Fennimore, Mineral Point, etc, at 106 the current #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, and #12 ranked guys exist. tough bracket there and I'm sure the other 13 brackets won't be much easier.

I don't want to argue about what's tougher, I just would like us to recognize that any sectional/regional can be difficult in any Division.

You're right. The thread was started on Ashwaubenon sectional. I'm almost every weight class there are at least 3 ranked kids and as much as 5. As you mentioned 138 2nd , 3rd, 4th, and 6th ranked wrestlers are here. It's a shame that at least one of these boys won't go. I've heard that #6 is dropping to 132

wrastle63

Quote from: 1Iota on January 22, 2020, 02:42:28 PM

I have always used the WWF Freestyle State as a snapshot of how the talent is divided among the divisions.  Last year of the 14 weight classes in the Junior division, 8 champions hailed from D-1 schools, 3 from D-2, & 3 from D-3.  This is obviously not an exact science, or a full picture, but I think it provides somewhat of a snapshot.
Not really a true representation. How many D1, D2, D3 kids compete at freestyle greco? When you look at the brackets there are more D1 kids that compete.

missinghome

I just love how you all argue constantly about which division/regional/sectional is tougher. Makes for great entertainment no doubt.
So just to give you a little more ammunition didn't Alex Dieringer  win 3 state titles in D1  but take 2nd in D2?

1Iota

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 22, 2020, 03:07:30 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on January 22, 2020, 02:42:28 PM

Not really a true representation. How many D1, D2, D3 kids compete at freestyle greco? When you look at the brackets there are more D1 kids that compete.

I would suggest that's an even greater testament to the talent at D-1.  The vast majority of serious wrestlers, kids who have aspirations of wrestling at the next level, compete at freestyle state. 

thequad

I should never go to a D1 match and see a forfeit!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

statman

Hold on a minute... I never siad you cant compare the talent of d1 to d2 and 3. I siad you cant compare the sectionals and how they do at the state tourny. You cant compare the numbers because they dont even have the same format. It is like apples to oranges because the process of getting to state isnt even the same.

Now stop with the derailment of the topic.
they don't call me statman for nothin

thequad

Consider that D1 has 16 teams sending 2 wrestlers in each weight, in D2 and D3 you have 26 teams sending 3 wrestlers in each weight.
Also many times there are 3 highly ranked wrestlers at a weight in a regional and only 2 get to advance.
Then how do you explain this?

thequad

Quote from: statman on January 20, 2020, 06:54:08 AM
I took a look at the rankings this weekend and and this must be the toughest in the state...

5 of the top ten teams
43 ranked wrestlers
20 wrestlers ranked in the top six

Does any other sectional compare?
In the sectional at Oconto Falls five of the top seven ranked schools are there. 

statman

Let it go... If you want to start at d1 vs d2 vs d3 thread go ahead... Otherwise stick to the ash sectional or tell me another d1 sectional that is comparative... Comparing d1 sectionals to d2 and 3 is just stupid... They dont even use the same format

emmitmac

Quote from: statman on January 22, 2020, 06:41:19 PM
Let it go... If you want to start at d1 vs d2 vs d3 thread go ahead... Otherwise stick to the ash sectional or tell me another d1 sectional that is comparative... Comparing d1 sectionals to d2 and 3 is just stupid... They dont even use the same format

Amen. Who's going to advance at 132 and 138 presuming Stumpf drops to 132 and López, ward , Sanderfoot all stay at 138. Keeping Derenne in mind of course

statman

I would say minor stumpf at 132. Sanderfoot lopez at 138. Hammen smith at 152. Lemke mashl at 160 if dembroski is done

emmitmac

Quote from: statman on January 22, 2020, 08:19:08 PM
I would say minor stumpf at 132. Sanderfoot lopez at 138. Hammen smith at 152. Lemke mashl at 160 if dembroski is done

I hope you're right. Leisgang bruss at 145? Talking to an Ashwaubenon Dad today, I can't see Dembrowski being able to make it back