Best Wisconsin wrestler to never win a state championship?

Started by Bellytobelly, June 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Well, since we're not confining success stories to folkstyle success, maybe GR/FS should be included in HS championships. Might exclude some of our favorites; but it's only fair.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: thequad on June 08, 2017, 12:37:21 PM
I think Morrisy was a state champ as a jr.

Morrisey lost to Donar in the semis as a JR.

2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd.

Lost to Grant Sutter as a FR and SO, Donar his JR year, and Zach Zenner as a SR.  Would agree one of the best to not win a state title.

shouldvewrestled

Kalvin York finished 4, 2, 2, 5 in his career at state.

bigG

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on June 08, 2017, 01:41:55 PM
Quote from: thequad on June 08, 2017, 12:37:21 PM
I think Morrisy was a state champ as a jr.

Morrisey lost to Donar in the semis as a JR.

2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd.

Lost to Grant Sutter as a FR and SO, Donar his JR year, and Zach Zenner as a SR.  Would agree one of the best to not win a state title.

Nothing but losses to pure studs. I didn't realize his road was that tough. Wow. Tough.

kabrvi

Reginald Lisowski (July 11, 1926 – October 22, 2005) was an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name, The Crusher (sometimes Crusher Lisowski to distinguish him from other Crushers, such as Crusher Blackwell). In his obituary, The Washington Post described him as "a professional wrestler whose blue-collar bona fides made him beloved among working class fans for 40 years".[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crusher_(wrestler)

bigG

Nice guy, too. Growing up in S. Milwaukee, you'd see him around. My dad knew him (neighbors growing up) and to hear him talk normally was kind of refreshing. I always admired that he was the tough guy on TV but a nice guy in reality.

Don't mess with the bolo baby!

He was kind of the first person to lift weights in S. Milwaukee.

padre

August Peplinski would be somewhere on a list if ever made.  190 career wins and finished 6-4-2-2.

woody53

For me, it will always be Nick Ziegler from Lodi. He moved around for the team for a State Team Championship. But the Wrestling Gods never let him get one of his own. Great Kid. Very successful business man now.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

Ziegler was a very staunch wrestler who was tough to score on. He beat many a stud.

Flatbottom

Luke Harmess - Winneconne
Jeff Schmidt - Bonduel.
Joel Dziedzic - Kewauskum
Tons of HS accolades 0 state titles

Lots of awesome non champions, fun to talk about
I'm not a product of my environment my environment is a product of me

OneEyedFatMan

Matt Schneider of Waterloo was a two time state runner-up...and wrestled for UW-Madison.

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

statman

they don't call me statman for nothin

herewego

Tom Weix of Merrill.  Took 2nd to John Harms from Baraboo (3x state champ) in 1986 or 87.  Tom went on to UWSP and was a 2x National Runner up there.  Great guy, great athlete. 

bigG

Mark Hemauer lost to a monster Fritz Lehrke in the finals in '86 I believe. Mark was a tough kid. Went on to be a brute at Parkside. His kid ain't too shabby, either.