Best Wisconsin wrestler to never win a state championship?

Started by Bellytobelly, June 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellytobelly

Who do you think are the best wrestler(s) in Wisconsin to never win a state title? I'll start it off with Cullen Morrissey (2nd,2nd,3rd,2nd) and Brady Webb (Q,2nd,2nd,2nd). I'm sure there are many more great wrestlers that didn't quite get there so name them off

Houndhead

bigG

Great stuff, Hound.

Jim Bavers was the one that always baffled me.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigG

Dah Crusher!!! I don't think Reggie Lisowski ever wrestled in HS.

OneEyedFatMan

Lots of great old-timers, whom competed in the one-class system!

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigG

Did Landvogt from Oak Creek ever win the whole deal?

thequad

Joe Wypiszenski, DQed in sectional semifinals on a slam. No wrestle back. The state qualifiers from his sectional finished 1-2 at state. He had technical falls on both of them during the season.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigG

Quote from: thequad on June 06, 2017, 12:21:00 PM
Joe Wypiszenski, DQed in sectional semifinals on a slam. No wrestle back. The state qualifiers from his sectional finished 1-2 at state. He had technical falls on both of them during the season.

What year was that quad?

ramjet

Quote from: Houndhead on June 06, 2017, 07:37:37 AM
Ben Peterson
Ben Proviser

Yes and how about Logan Hermsen 2 time DIII champion and only qualified for state one time.

Hungus

You're killing me Smalls!!!

woody53

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

greysquirrelmobile

It's hard for anyone to be the best , but Brandon Penzkover, Mauston.  NCAA D3 Champ All WIAC century team ... NCAA Hall of Fame.

Troy Grindle

Ben and John Peterson are the obvious answers.

But the three that I have seen wrestle are.

Craig Klawitter of Pardeville.  He placed at state 3,3,3,2 losing to the eventual state champ every year at state.  His senior year was when Scott Hady won his 4th title and Klawitter had beaten him earlier in the year.  I think Klawitter only had 6 losses in highschool.

Joe Terrill of Mineral Point.  Three years in the state finals and he draw Shawn Ange, Shawn Ange, and Garrett Lowney.  Dang that is some tough draws for the finals.  Ange and Lowney are two of the best high school wrestlers that Wisconsin has ever produced.  Joe himself was a fargo all american and ended up wreslting at UW and was a ncaa qualifier.

Malachi Root from Green Bay Prebble placed at state all 4 years and had only a handfull of career loses.  Had a pretty weird loss in the state finals his senior year with getting pinned in the first period.  I think he passed out while in a front headlock.
And then there was that.