6. Two Rivers Div. 2 Wisconsin
7. Montini 3A Illinois
7. Freedom Div. 2 Wisconsin
8. Pewaukee Div. 1 Wisconsin
13. Edwardsville 3A Illinois
HM. Sheboygan Falls Div. 2 Wisconsin
HM. Wrightstown Div. 2 Wisconsin

kluevercoach

Wrestling starts Friday 5pm and Saturday 8:30am. Finals scheduled for 6pm.
This is an outstanding field of teams and individuals! Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!!

ICEMAN112

Thompson Alabama out unless sanctions are lifted. They find out tomorrow.

littleguy301

While Mark Hall may have the "big" name in the tournament, check out Gable Steveson from Apple Valley, that kid is incredible and just a sophmore! He moves more that any wrestler I have ever seen at any weight and he is a 220 pounder!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: ICEMAN112 on January 03, 2016, 09:39:03 PM

What sanctions?  Details, please...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ICEMAN112

Quote from: imnofish on January 04, 2016, 12:09:54 AM

What sanctions?  Details, please...

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/2009554858096273667/thompson-wrestling-hit-with-severe-penalties-for-numerous-ahsaa-rules-violations/

Besides the sanctions one wrestler Hank Turner can't compete his Senior year. The team was accused of recruiting him even though his family moved to the district. Great kid who fell into the these issues. They will find out today if the team can compete the rest of the year. Others brought these allegations against the team. A simple camp run by a Coach with more than 7 wrestlers present counts as an event. Thompson runs a very ethical program of hard working wrestlers. There are others in Alabama that did this to stop their run for a 6th Straight title and try to level the playing field without hard work.

3wrestle

Quote from: ICEMAN112 on January 04, 2016, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: imnofish on January 04, 2016, 12:09:54 AM

What sanctions?  Details, please...

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/2009554858096273667/thompson-wrestling-hit-with-severe-penalties-for-numerous-ahsaa-rules-violations/

Besides the sanctions one wrestler Hank Turner can't compete his Senior year. The team was accused of recruiting him even though his family moved to the district. Great kid who fell into the these issues. They will find out today if the team can compete the rest of the year. Others brought these allegations against the team. A simple camp run by a Coach with more than 7 wrestlers present counts as an event. Thompson runs a very ethical program of hard working wrestlers. There are others in Alabama that did this to stop their run for a 6th Straight title and try to level the playing field without hard work.

I read the article looks like the school self reported the coaches attendance at camps and it was over the allowable limit for Alabama. They are working with the state to resolve the issues. Sounds like your familiar with the program did the coaches not know the summer rules?
I couldn't find anything on the senior, strange he can not wrestle if his family followed proper procedure...

bud

Bianchi and Yates should be a good one. Any chance Hall bumps up for Beau?
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

scrub4life1234

Quote from: bud on January 04, 2016, 09:19:57 AM
Bianchi and Yates should be a good one. Any chance Hall bumps up for Beau?

That'd be some good matches. Are the finals being run live on FSN?

WWC_Badger

Good morning badgers!  Since Iceman, my twin, posted the info about Thompson, I'll briefly clarify.   These kids just want to wrestle so please understand they do not want any further notoriety.   They are all great kids with a great coach.    I'm one of the club coaches for WWC that is nearby Thompson and supports their wrestlers.   I've been here now for almost four years and it's truly exciting to see these kids improve and has allowed myself to even get back into action on the veteran circuit.

With regard to the violations, there stands a rule with regard to participation outside the season in Alabama with your HS coaches.  Within the season, club coaches can only do 1-1's as well.   If more than 7 wrestlers attend a camp or an individual tournament, it constitutes as an event for the HS, if the HS coach is present.  This rule really applies to football or larger team sports, but wrestling is in the same fold.  Being Alabama allows 7th grade and up to wrestle varsity, you can imagine this really affects post season camps and tournaments for these kids.  Thompson has almost 100 wrestlers in the 5 grades come out.   It's a sport that is gaining popularity even with the Title IX restrictions that limits all but one college in Alabama to support wrestling.   Thompson did self report after being threatened.  They had their administration look into the allegations and thus reported.    I won't get into the mud slinging, but when it comes from the opposing team who has the most to gain from their sanctions, it's frustrating.      

As for Hank Turner, I've been fortunate to see his skills improve and wrestle to one loss from placing at Super 32 this year.  He is also a former state champion and runner up last year.   He's a great kid, but got caught up in this mess.   He has been a part of our club for several years and their family decided to relocate to Thompson after his Junior year.  Unfortunately, he took part in the camps like he had done previous years, but had knowing he was moving.    As such, this could be seen as a recruiting violation, because he had not registered with the school yet.    The catch 22 is that the school wasn't open for registering new students until long after this camp.   Nobody would have imagined this would affect him like it did.   As part of the review, he's eligible to wrestle for any school in Alabama, just not Thompson.   Sadly, his parents and he had already relocated.   His education and his ability to wrestle with the best program in the state made it an easy decision.   He's now competing in national tournaments where he can and beware of him at Senior Nationals at VA beach.   This kid is thirsty and has done the work to be recognized.  I know, I mend my wounds on a weekly basis.  

jets152

No national rankings love for Bianchi? That just doesn't seem right..
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

imnofish

Thanks for the updates, guys.  Very intriguing situation.   :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

WWC_Badger

Update on Thompson and further clarification on Hank.    As of noon today, they are cleared to wrestle in tournaments and will be heading to the Cheesehead.    They also clarified Hank's circumstances.   You won't see him at Cheesehead, but in case you're interested, it had to do with him attending the camps as well.  Those camps became associated with events due to the HS coach being present.   I had to clip the rulebook section to really be able to understand where or how it applied to him.  Here it goes:

A student who is a member of any school athletic team (grades 7-12) may not participate (includes practice) on a non-school team in the same sport during the school season of that sport. A student who is a member of any high school athletic team may not participate in an outside sport activity in the same sport during the school season of that sport.

A student who violates this rule becomes ineligible to compete on that school team or in that school sports activity for the remainder of that school season. Any student who participates on an outside team after the school sport season begins is ineligible to join that school team for the remainder of that season.

The coaches were unaware of this rule and Hank having participated in the camps in prior years was not aware that by participating before being enrolled, he would become ineligible.  He registered when the time came to register like any student would.   Sadly, the allegations of recruiting wrongfully pulled this rule into light.  Had anyone known, we would have kept him out of the practices that month.    Keep an eye out for him at NHSCA as a Senior wrestling 160 or 170. 

As a former Wisconsinite, please give the Thompson wrestlers who are coming to the tundra, a hearty welcome and warm clothes if you see them shivering.

Coach Jeff Williams

mike

Quote from: Goat Roper on January 04, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
This is such a well run tournament.  I will be attending.

Great concession stand as well.
I agree goat the cheesehead is very well run and I will add it's the toughest tournament in Wisconsin.  Also love that wrestlers who have a rough day 1 are rebracketed and get to wrestle day 2. I believe all wrestlers get 4-5 matches.  Good stuff! Can't wait!