WIWrestling.com Rank Update Ed. #2 Dec 16 posted!

Started by TomM, December 15, 2015, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang Fan

Charger Dad  you have hit a sore spot for me on your comments.  Here is something for you to check out. 2014 285 lb class and watch the finals in all 3 classes at Madison and then tell me those boys aren't athletic and those we not good matches!!!!!  Make sure you watch the matches on badger state wrestling before you respond......Good luck to your son.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ChargerDad

I watched all 3 divisions the last 2 years live, and agree, those where good heavyweights. I was never talking about those heavyweights.  I was referring to the depth at heavyweight not being what some other weight classes are in my opinion and not intending to imply that there aren't a number of good heavyweights every year.

jw52

I remember the last couple years too. Weren't all three champs nationally ranked in 2014? I also remember a large amount of people filing out of the kohl center prior to these matches. Another reason for random draw on championship Saturday!

Mustang Fan

Quote from: ChargerDad on December 27, 2015, 09:06:49 AM
I watched all 3 divisions the last 2 years live, and agree, those where good heavyweights. I was never talking about those heavyweights.  I was referring to the depth at heavyweight not being what some other weight classes are in my opinion and not intending to imply that there aren't a number of good heavyweights every year.

Depth yes I agree, it's hard to keep a good heavyweight out and maintain 285 when many of them are committed to a college football program to be a lineman where the schools want them at 315 plus!!! There was a comment on this thread that said something about the empty seats when the 285 guys hit the mat and that is just so wrong!!! those guys worked hard to get there too and deserve the support of the fans. I like the idea of drawing for starting weight classes on sat night for the championships and maybe we could keep the Kohl center full till the final match is over !!

Mustang Fan

Quote from: jw52 on December 27, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
I remember the last couple years too. Weren't all three champs nationally ranked in 2014? I also remember a large amount of people filing out of the kohl center prior to these matches. Another reason for random draw on championship Saturday!

I think it was 2013 when Cole Johnson from Desoto and Newton Smercheck from LC were nationally ranked

ChargerDad

Quote from: Mustang Fan on December 27, 2015, 11:11:22 AM
Quote from: ChargerDad on December 27, 2015, 09:06:49 AM

Depth yes I agree, it's hard to keep a good heavyweight out and maintain 285 when many of them are committed to a college football program to be a lineman where the schools want them at 315 plus!!! There was a comment on this thread that said something about the empty seats when the 285 guys hit the mat and that is just so wrong!!! those guys worked hard to get there too and deserve the support of the fans. I like the idea of drawing for starting weight classes on sat night for the championships and maybe we could keep the Kohl center full till the final match is over !!

I agree 100%

ChargerDad

Quote from: Mustang Fan on December 27, 2015, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: jw52 on December 27, 2015, 11:06:16 AM

I think it was 2013 when Cole Johnson from Desoto and Newton Smercheck from LC were nationally ranked

Two very good heavyweights.. I enjoyed watching Big Newty wrestle a lot, especially post season in Greco.

jw52

Was Nelson from stoughton nationally ranked that year too?

stbird

As a smaller guy, I don't enjoy watching the heavier weights at all.  Once a match hits about 170 I'm either sleeping or leaving.  That said, the Maryland State Tournament starts the small schools at 106 and the large schools at 285 and rotates it every year.  Although I'm not too fond of it, it is a great way to prevent people from leaving.  WI could do the same thing and eliminate the issue. 

imnofish

One advantage of how we do it now is that I don't have to fight the traffic so much after the finals, thanks to all the fans with short attention spans.   ;D 

Seriously, I think it's important to consider that wrestling fans don't just attend for their own entertainment, but also to support and show respect for the participants.  The last 2 are responsibilities we have to the kids and the sport.  Failure to follow through publicly devalues both of them.  Besides, after spending all that money on tickets and parking, why not be sure to get full value for your investment? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

CoachZ

I mentioned this in a thread after last years state tournament. Bring in a former WI high school wrestling or college great, Dennis Hall, Lee Kemp, Ben Askren....you get the idea, to draw for the finals. Have them draw after the semi final matches down on the floor. Give people a reason to stay all the way through the semi finals too. No reason it can't be done. Those heavier weight classes should get to feel that energy and excitement that is there in the beginning, but seems to fade a bit as the night goes on.

Mustang Fan

Quote from: CoachZ on December 27, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
I mentioned this in a thread after last years state tournament. Bring in a former WI high school wrestling or college great, Dennis Hall, Lee Kemp, Ben Askren....you get the idea, to draw for the finals. Have them draw after the semi final matches down on the floor. Give people a reason to stay all the way through the semi finals too. No reason it can't be done. Those heavier weight classes should get to feel that energy and excitement that is there in the beginning, but seems to fade a bit as the night goes on.

Totally agree!!!

imnofish

Quote from: stbird on December 27, 2015, 08:15:25 PM
As a smaller guy, I don't enjoy watching the heavier weights at all.  Once a match hits about 170 I'm either sleeping or leaving.  That said, the Maryland State Tournament starts the small schools at 106 and the large schools at 285 and rotates it every year.  Although I'm not too fond of it, it is a great way to prevent people from leaving.  WI could do the same thing and eliminate the issue. 

I was privileged to wrestle at these weight classes in high school and/or college (long ago):
95, 112, 120, 138, 145, 155, 158, 167, 175, 177, 190.  I also changed from a long, lanky wrestler into a short, stocky one.  (Now I'm just an old, fat one.  ;D)  All these varied experiences really helped me get an appreciation of the challenges that wrestlers of different sizes and shapes face.  It helped me a lot as a coach, too.  As a fan, I still appreciate the efforts and strategies of all of them.  Maybe you would benefit from volunteering to roll around with the big boys at your local high school.   ;D  It's a different world at that end of the lineup, but it's all good.