Why not wear fight shorts and shirt in high school wrestling?

Started by TomM, October 24, 2014, 02:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Why not wear fight shorts and shirt in high school wrestling?

Examples here: < http://www.wiwrestling.com/WhyNot/WhyNot.htm >

What are your thoughts?

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

Houndhead

Ghetto

Why not. Let's try something proactive to try and grow the sport. It takes away one excuse.

Great idea by Flo to do it on the big stage.

Wasn't a two piece "singlet" approved a while back? Not one team jumped on it, because I think we were all afraid they'd change their minds and we'd be out the money we spent on the new kind of "singlets".
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I wouldnt have the problem with this idea either.

After my son and I watched the Hall match he was wondering why they didnt wear singlets. I said it was a choice and at this time he still wants a singlet ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I do not support this idea.  Wrestling is not fighting.  Let MMA promote their own sport.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ghetto

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on October 26, 2014, 11:17:13 PM
I do not support this idea.  Wrestling is not fighting.  Let MMA promote their own sport.

Do you think that wearing board shorts while wrestling promotes MMA? Just because they where them? Does the MMA then promote surfing, where the shorts came from in the first place?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on October 26, 2014, 11:17:13 PM

We have to be smart enough to understand that MMA is an opportunity to grow our sport of wrestling, which we are in great need of. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

HMsDad

What's wrong with change if it is for the better of the sport? My grandpa use to mow the lawn with an old two wheeled mower that looked like it had razors for  cutting blades does that mean that is how I should? Things evolve for the better. I talked to some of friends of my 14 year old kid and the first thing they say is I would like to try wrestling but I'm not wearing that! 

imnofish

My son-in-law had good wrestling ability, but switched to basketball during middle school, because (when he hit puberty) he was so self-conscious about wearing the singlet.  With today's over-emphasis on sexuality, this issue looms even larger.  It is indeed appropriate to address those concerns with a uniform re-design. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MNbadger

Fight shorts are too baggy.  They get in the way of several wrestling moves.  If you want to go to more typical "gym shorts" fine but they should be much closer fitting than the MMA type shorts.
I used to think MMA helped us but I have changed my opinion.  Mothers don't want their sons fighting, period.  I think it does more harm than good.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Houndhead

Maybe the change needs to start at the lower levels. Youth clubs could promote a choice of either one. Eventually the WIAA might come around.

thequad

In the 70's shorts over singlets were very common. I don't believe any rules have changed. At one time there was a rule that all wrestlers on a team had to wear uniforms that were the same. I don't know when this rule was changed.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

HMsDad

Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2014, 01:31:20 PM
Maybe the change needs to start at the lower levels. Youth clubs could promote a choice of either one. Eventually the WIAA might come around.
Great idea! That would be the way to start. Does the WWF say you must wear a singlet at regionals and state?