Wrestling coach interview questions

Started by jeast, October 31, 2013, 07:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeast

Just looking for some questions to ask of potential wrestling coaches in an interview process.  We've got some great candidates and we are trying to differentiate good from great.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

bkraus

I would ask them about their philosophies, not only in wrestling, but in guiding students.  What is their definition of success?  Ask them to bring in a mock one week practice schedule.  How would you handle the parent that wants to be involved in every situation with the team or their child?
Strive for Perfection

Handles II

One that I was asked once, and now ask every time.
"You see a wrestler out at the gas station filling his car. You see he has a dip in his lip. What do you do?"

Kjohnson

My last interview with the superintendent, his last question was

Rat

In the case of small schools and co-ops I think a couple of good questions are you willing to go after kids and will you be able to work closely with the grade school kids. Will you have enough time do everything that goes with coaching. Wrestling season is so long and hard on young families who coach. Good Luck Jeast.

jeast

Thanks everyone!  All good responses and it has certainly helped! 
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

uncle Fester

Quote from: Handles II on October 31, 2013, 11:50:37 AM
"You see a wrestler out at the gas station filling his car. You see he has a dip in his lip. What do you do?"

we check for a spit cup and see if he swallows...
we didnt come here for a picnic

Todd

Quote from: bkraus on October 31, 2013, 08:14:47 AM
I would ask them about their philosophies, not only in wrestling, but in guiding students.  What is their definition of success?  Ask them to bring in a mock one week practice schedule.  How would you handle the parent that wants to be involved in every situation with the team or their child?

+1
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: futurerichguy on November 01, 2013, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: uncle Fester on November 01, 2013, 08:51:21 AM

If he's smoking a cigarette, choose a different time and location to approach him with your concerns.

Aren't both things a violation of WIAA code of conduct?

crossface21

What is the first thing you'll do as Head Coach?

-Present a few different scenarios to see what the response would be.

Where should wrestling fall in the whole scope of school?

How will you promote your team?

In this day of strained budgets, how do you expect raise funds?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

What goals do you have for the team this year? Next year? What's the long term outcome?

These are all questions I was asked at one time or another.

woody53

I ask their priorities in life :
1) Faith
2) Family
3) School (as in student)
4) Wrestling
Seems to go against some peoples idea of success in the sport. Our sport goes beyond the mat.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Lcoach

Ask them if they are willing to take the advice of the wi wrestling forum board of all that is known. If yes, you got your man or woman. JKD!
Life is God's gift to us!
How we live it is our gift to God!

bigG

Quote from: uncle Fester on November 01, 2013, 08:51:21 AM

This may quite have been the best post in history. Holy crap, that's gold!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bman

Try to formulate your questions so they are worded in a manner that reveals their behavior or their actions regarding  a particular situation or scenario, rather than ask philosophical questions, or questions where they speculate what they would do.--or what they think you want to hear.  By asking for specific examples of behavior you may get a better sense of what they have actually done, and how they would deal with similar situations in the future, rather than what they hope they would do. --Based on some of the topics for questions provided in the thread, I came up with some examples.

"Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a student athlete that you caught violating team rues?"

"Parental involvement is important, but too much involvement can have a negative effect on an athlete and perhaps, negatively impact the team.  How have you dealt with the overly involved parent in the past?"

"Sometimes we wish we had handled a particular situation differently.  Looking back, do you have a situation you wish you would have handled differently?"  And, if so, Why?" 

Todd

Quote from: bman on November 02, 2013, 12:04:04 AM
Try to formulate your questions so they are worded in a manner that reveals their behavior or their actions regarding  a particular situation or scenario, rather than ask philosophical questions, or questions where they speculate what they would do.--or what they think you want to hear.  By asking for specific examples of behavior you may get a better sense of what they have actually done, and how they would deal with similar situations in the future, rather than what they hope they would do. --Based on some of the topics for questions provided in the thread, I came up with some examples.

"Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a student athlete that you caught violating team rues?"

"Parental involvement is important, but too much involvement can have a negative effect on an athlete and perhaps, negatively impact the team.  How have you dealt with the overly involved parent in the past?"

"Sometimes we wish we had handled a particular situation differently.  Looking back, do you have a situation you wish you would have handled differently?"  And, if so, Why?" 

Lot's of people using performance based interviewing now.  Real world examples.