Wisconsin Wrestling History Quiz (Monday, April 29, 2013)

Started by TomM, April 29, 2013, 07:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

I don't have time to link the names up with the actual guys in the photo but I can say the following. I am pretty sure that the guy dead center (between Krutch and Spies in the front row) is Bob Trapino. The guy between Spies and Reinwand is either Hanson (from Ohio) or Ric Morris (I think). I see Glen Vissers peeking around some guys in the back row (in front of Hull). Isn't that Dave Evans at the end of the first row on the right? Way in the back is Gary Sommers. Is that Klienhaus in the middle of the bunch with a big mop of hair?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Drivingforce

Quote from: TomM on April 30, 2013, 08:09:08 AM
Is that Duffy Brelsford with the cane? 8)
Nice... I just saw Duffy, he doesn't look that old now. :)

The guy to his left looks like John Smith from Okie State. Can't be though.

badgerjohn

Quote from: Drivingforce on April 30, 2013, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: TomM on April 30, 2013, 08:09:08 AM
Is that Duffy Brelsford with the cane? 8)
Nice... I just saw Duffy, he doesn't look that old now. :)

The guy to his left looks like John Smith from Okie State. Can't be though.

I thought I was the guy with the cane   :o
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

whatever

Isn't that Tom Husted kneeling on the very left with Bruce Brotzmann standing behind him?
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

OneEyedFatMan

You guys are all messed up.....this is from the Alumni vs UW team dual in fall of 1979.

front row:  Tom Husted, Dave Goodspeed, Steve Kruchoski, Bob Trapino, Dale Spies, Rick Morris, Caleb or Jacob Reinwand, Jack Reinwand, Steve Evans.

second row: Bruce Brotzman, Dave Evans, Grant Smith, Neal Neyer, Ron Jeidy, Pete Leiskau, Lee Kemp, Masamitsu Ichiguchi (World and Olympic Greco Champ from Japan 1963-64), I don't know that old feller, Duane Kleven.

third row:  Russ Hellickson, Randy HIll, Mike Euker, Mitch Hull, maybe Gary Gutknecht or as previously mentioned Glenn Vissers?, Jim Kleinhans, Gary Sommers, Dennis Kipnis, Peter Zamzow, Kent Rawhouser, Mike Terry, Andy Rein.

I was in this dual as a freshman, but somehow missed the photo.
Rick Morris picked me apart on our feet.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

woody53

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on May 03, 2013, 12:57:26 PM
You guys are all messed up.....this is from the Alumni vs UW team dual in fall of 1979.

front row:  Tom Husted, Dave Goodspeed, Steve Kruchoski, Bob Trapino, Dale Spies, Rick Morris, Caleb or Jacob Reinwand, Jack Reinwand, Steve Evans.

second row: Bruce Brotzman, Dave Evans, looks like Mark Schmitz, Neal Neyer, Ron Jeidy, Pete Leiskau, Lee Kemp, Masamitsu Ichiguchi (World and Olympic Greco Champ from Japan 1963-64), I don't know that old feller, Duane Kleven.

third row:  Russ Hellickson, Randy HIll, Mike Euker, MItch Hull, maybe Gary Gutknecht or as previously mentioned Glenn Vissers?, Jim Kleinhans, Gary Sommers, Dennis Kipnis, Peter Zamzow, Kent Rawhouser, Mike Terry, Andy Rein.

Great memory OneEye. I thought that is what the event was, but was afraid to answer as I was only a spectator and the memory is slipping.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

imnofish

Quote from: woody53 on May 03, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

second row: Bruce Brotzman, Dave Evans, looks like Mark Schmitz, Neal Neyer, Ron Jeidy, Pete Leiskau, Lee Kemp, Masamitsu Ichiguchi (World and Olympic Greco Champ from Japan 1963-64), I don't know that old feller, Duane Kleven.

third row:  Russ Hellickson, Randy HIll, Mike Euker, MItch Hull, maybe Gary Gutknecht or as previously mentioned Glenn Vissers?, Jim Kleinhans, Gary Sommers, Dennis Kipnis, Peter Zamzow, Kent Rawhouser, Mike Terry, Andy Rein.

Great memory OneEye. I thought that is what the event was, but was afraid to answer as I was only a spectator and the memory is slipping.

Nice job!  I thought it was probably taken in the late 70's, based on the apparent ages of some of the guys that I met a few years later.  At the time of the event, I was 26 and beginning my second year of coaching in Wisconsin.  Must have a lot of great memories associated with this pic, OneEye! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

maggie

3 rd row, first guy standing-Bruce Brotzman-Milton Wrestling  :) i picked all the other one also... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

lincolnlogs

I was -9 years old at the time of this picture...just a whisper in the wind.

OneEyedFatMan

With those older fellas with years behind them, it was easy to ascertain that it was an alumni match.

The "key" to identifying the year was Ichiguchi and Zamzow- Peter Zamzow- who "retired" after the 1979-80 season. What a horse.....his last match was pinning Ben Petersen in the finals of the Mayor Daley Tournament. Ichi arrived in the 79-80 autumn, so pretty much had to be the Alumni Match of autumn 1979.

OneEyedFatMan

This just in.....that's Grant Smith right behind Dave Goodspeed, not Mark Schmitz. (I got a closer look at the photo and saw clearly that it is Grant).

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on May 06, 2013, 11:53:49 AM
With those older fellas with years behind them, it was easy to ascertain that it was an alumni match.

The "key" to identifying the year was Ichiguchi and Zamzow- Peter Zamzow- who "retired" after the 1979-80 season. What a horse.....his last match was pinning Ben Petersen in the finals of the Mayor Daley Tournament. Ichi arrived in the 79-80 autumn, so pretty much had to be the Alumni Match of autumn 1979.

OneEyedFatMan

I was thinking that.....since so many of you are so young, that I might share a bit about these gentlemen....

Tom Husted- from Pascack, NJ, two time state champ, Jr World Champion, two time Big Ten runnerup, finished up at Lehigh.
Dave Goodspeed- Evansville, WI. One time state placewinner, 3 time Big Ten placer. Knocked off defending NCAA champ Ken Mallory first round of 1979 NCAAs.
Steve Kruchoski- WI state champ- town escapes me. Recruited as a 126 lber, ended up wrestling at 158 or 167.
More on some of these old heads later.

second row: Bruce Brotzman, Dave Evans, Grant Smith, Neal Neyer, Ron Jeidy, Pete Leiskau, Lee Kemp, Masamitsu Ichiguchi (World and Olympic Greco Champ from Japan 1963-64), I don't know that old feller, Duane Kleven.

third row:  Russ Hellickson, Randy HIll, Mike Euker, Mitch Hull, maybe Gary Gutknecht or as previously mentioned Glenn Vissers?, Jim Kleinhans, Gary Sommers, Dennis Kipnis, Peter Zamzow, Kent Rawhouser, Mike Terry, Andy Rein.

OneEyedFatMan

I don't know too much about Dale Spies (Riverdale?), or Bob Trapino (McFarland?)...but I can help you with Rick Morris,,,who was a full scholarship athlete from Illinois who became one heckuva engineer.

Rick had the misfortune of getting bumped up a weight class one year to face Andre Metzger and Lee Roy Smith and maybe Scott Trizzino back to back to back...  ( hey been there done that!). Great guy!

Reinwand boys are more recent history, and you all know that Jack was a 4th placer in state ( I think) whom went on to win the NCAAs and even more impressively- build Lodi from a weakling program to a powerhouse- his boys and Doreen helped a bunch too.

Steve Evans of DeForest was a lot meaner than he looks, and worked out with Lee Kemp quite a bit!

That's all I have for the first row.

Second Row:

Bruce Brotzman, another walk on from Milton, made the team from time to time and won his match against Tim Riley of Iowa in the dual meet at 126!

Dave Evans- from Rockford, IL- two time AA and Midlands champion- a true champ!

more coming up...

TomM

Good stuff OneEye...

Thanks... keep the info coming!
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

npope

Some additional detail:

Kruchowski (Whitewater) won it at 126 as a junior in HS and then failed to place as a senior. He ended up as a journeyman for the Badgers.

Bob Trapino (McFarland) was a two time champ in HS and was really tough in the practice room...but so was Reinwand - who held the 126 pound spot. Trap was varsity for one season at 134 for the Badgers but never staked any claim to fame. He still lives in the Madison area.

Mike Terry (Sun Prairie) placed second in HS at 119 (lost on a double caution in the finals) but grew a lot and blossomed in college, becoming a two time AA around 150, I think. I think working with Rein had a lot to do with it.

As mentioned, Morris was a big time recruit that never was a consistent starter for the Badgers - he too was a journeyman for the Badgers. His real claim to fame was a runner-up finish at Fargo in freestyle in HS, along with winning the Illinois HS title.

Gary Sommers (Racine Horlick) was a HS state champ and was also "quietly" a Big Ten champ at heavyweight.

Kliehaus (Chilton) was a unique one. He came in without much of a pedigree and did some good stuff while wrestling for the Badgers (although the details escape me at this moment).

Glenn Vissers (Seymour) was third at heavyweight in HS and was pretty much relegated to being just a practice room guy. One interesting thing about Glenn was that he was a chubby heavyweight and decided to lose the fat and became a 190 pounder while on the team.

Steve Evans (DeForest) was the nicest guy you would ever meet off the mat, but he would brutalize you on the mat if he had the opportunity. While he held the varsity spot for a couple of years he never really made much of an impact. He and Kemp were tight.

I think everybody knows about Rein.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope