UW vs. North Carolina and Hofstra

Started by Harris, November 14, 2021, 09:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Next up for the Badgers is duals at North Carolina and Hofstra on Saturday, November 27th after Thanksgiving.  Here are the predictions by WrestleStat:

27-Nov-21   
         Wisconsin                     North Carolina                     WrestleStat Prediction
125     (18)Eric Barnett (So)     (218) Spencer Moore (Fr)     Win
133     (77) Ethan Rotondo            (29) Jaime Hernandez     Loss
141     (111) Joey Zargo (F)     (14) Kizhan Clarke             Loss
149     (#8) Austin Gomez              (7) Zach Sherman             Win
157     (43) Garrett Model (J)     (1) Austin O'Connor             Loss
165     (53) Dean Hamiti (Fr)     (79) Sonny Santiago (Fr)     Win
174     (#8) Andrew McNally (Sr)     (93) Gavin Kane             Win
184     (21) Chris Weiler (Se)     (145) Mark Chaid             Win
197     (94) Braxton Amos (F)     (25) Max Shaw (Fr)       Win
285     (7) Trent Hillger (Jr)     (29) Brandon Whitman             Win

WrestleStat Prediction:  Badger Victory 27-10

I actually think this will be a much more competitive dual than WrestleStat is predicting for the following reasons:

1.  125 North Carolina Freshman Spencer Moore made the cadet world team this past summer and wrestled in Budapest Hungary with Badger recruit James Rowley.  This team was coached by Jon Reader.  Moore will be a tough test for Barnett.  Moore lost to Malik Heinselman from Ohio State 6-2 this season.  Barnett is 1-2 against Heinselman last losing to him 3-2 in the first round of the Big Tens last year.  This should be a great match which I think Barnett will win but I don't see it being a tech fall as predicted by WrestleStat.

2.  149 #8 Austin Gomez vs. #7 Zach Sherman will be the match of the dual.  A 3X qualifier, Sherman took 7th at last years NCAA tournament for his first All American honors.  Sherman lost to NCAA runner up Sammy Sasso at the Ohio State Dual this year 4-3.  Gomez has a much better record against common opponents (8-2 vs. 3-4).  Based on the way Gomez has been wrestling so far this year, I predict fireworks and a great match.  Sherman will be a huge test for Gomez.

3.  165 DJ Hamiti vs. Sonny Santiago.  Santiago was a California State champion for St. John Bosco and the number one recruit at 152 lb. in 2020.  He lost 10-2 to Ohio State's #10 Carson Kharchla last week.  Hamiti has looked great in his first 2 dual wins but this will be a much more formidable opponent who likes to wrestle close matches.  Should be another great matchup.

4.  197 Braxton Amos hopefully will get to wrestle #25 Max Shaw who is a good wrestler who qualified for the NCAA tournament last season after finishing 2nd at the ACC conference tournament.  He is a gritty wrestler from Pittsburgh, PA who wrestled 195 in high school while Amos was 220.  Not sure if they ever wrestled as kids but this should be a great chance for Braxton to wrestle someone with a little more experience and success at the NCAA level.  My guess is this will be an exciting match and a great measuring stick for Amos.

5.  133 Rotondo or Burwick have a great opportunity to beat a quality wrestler in #29 Jaime Hernandez.  157 Model will have his hands full with NCAA champion Austin O'Conner but I think these types of matchups early in the season are just what Model needs to qualify for the NCAA's.  I am a huge Garrett Model fan and would love to see him make the big dance.

Gutwrench

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.  Like you mentioned Harris, it will be a good gauge on where the guys are at against some quality opponents. 

tigerking

Quote from: Harris on November 14, 2021, 09:29:24 PM
Next up for the Badgers is duals at North Carolina and Hofstra on Saturday, November 27th after Thanksgiving.  Here are the predictions by WrestleStat:

27-Nov-21   
         Wisconsin                     North Carolina                     WrestleStat Prediction
125     (18)Eric Barnett (So)     (218) Spencer Moore (Fr)     Win
133     (77) Ethan Rotondo            (29) Jaime Hernandez     Loss
141     (111) Joey Zargo (F)     (14) Kizhan Clarke             Loss
149     (#8) Austin Gomez              (7) Zach Sherman             Win
157     (43) Garrett Model (J)     (1) Austin O'Connor             Loss
165     (53) Dean Hamiti (Fr)     (79) Sonny Santiago (Fr)     Win
174     (#8) Andrew McNally (Sr)     (93) Gavin Kane             Win
184     (21) Chris Weiler (Se)     (145) Mark Chaid             Win
197     (94) Braxton Amos (F)     (25) Max Shaw (Fr)       Win
285     (7) Trent Hillger (Jr)     (29) Brandon Whitman             Win

WrestleStat Prediction:  Badger Victory 27-10

I actually think this will be a much more competitive dual than WrestleStat is predicting for the following reasons:

1.  125 North Carolina Freshman Spencer Moore made the cadet world team this past summer and wrestled in Budapest Hungary with Badger recruit James Rowley.  This team was coached by Jon Reader.  Moore will be a tough test for Barnett.  Moore lost to Malik Heinselman from Ohio State 6-2 this season.  Barnett is 1-2 against Heinselman last losing to him 3-2 in the first round of the Big Tens last year.  This should be a great match which I think Barnett will win but I don't see it being a tech fall as predicted by WrestleStat.

2.  149 #8 Austin Gomez vs. #7 Zach Sherman will be the match of the dual.  A 3X qualifier, Sherman took 7th at last years NCAA tournament for his first All American honors.  Sherman lost to NCAA runner up Sammy Sasso at the Ohio State Dual this year 4-3.  Gomez has a much better record against common opponents (8-2 vs. 3-4).  Based on the way Gomez has been wrestling so far this year, I predict fireworks and a great match.  Sherman will be a huge test for Gomez.

3.  165 DJ Hamiti vs. Sonny Santiago.  Santiago was a California State champion for St. John Bosco and the number one recruit at 152 lb. in 2020.  He lost 10-2 to Ohio State's #10 Carson Kharchla last week.  Hamiti has looked great in his first 2 dual wins but this will be a much more formidable opponent who likes to wrestle close matches.  Should be another great matchup.

4.  197 Braxton Amos hopefully will get to wrestle #25 Max Shaw who is a good wrestler who qualified for the NCAA tournament last season after finishing 2nd at the ACC conference tournament.  He is a gritty wrestler from Pittsburgh, PA who wrestled 195 in high school while Amos was 220.  Not sure if they ever wrestled as kids but this should be a great chance for Braxton to wrestle someone with a little more experience and success at the NCAA level.  My guess is this will be an exciting match and a great measuring stick for Amos.

5.  133 Rotondo or Burwick have a great opportunity to beat a quality wrestler in #29 Jaime Hernandez.  157 Model will have his hands full with NCAA champion Austin O'Conner but I think these types of matchups early in the season are just what Model needs to qualify for the NCAA's.  I am a huge Garrett Model fan and would love to see him make the big dance.

Predictions
125- Barnett win by decision
133- Burwick over Hernandez decision. Burwick is a better mat wrestler than Rotondo and I think he takes down Hernandez.
141- Clarke over Zargo decision. Big measuring stick match for Joey. Would be huge for the line up if he starts beating guys like Clarke
149- Sherman over Gomez decison. I don't think we have seen the best version of Gomez yet due to the lay off and Sherman wrestled a great match against Sasso.
157- O'Conner over Model major.
165- Hamiti over Santiago decision. Would love to see Hamiti get bonus points here.
174- McNally over Kane decision. If Kane beat out Clay Lautt for the starting spot, he has to be tough. Hopefully McNally can bring it after some time off.
184- Weiler over Lautt decision. Lautt just lost to Rocky Jordan 4-1, but I love the way Weiler is scoring points this year.
197- Amos over Shaw pin. Amos goes greco for the fall.
285- Hillger over Whitman decision. Classic Hillger grind out match

Harris

Here is the Hofstra Dual:

27-Nov-21   
         Wisconsin                      Hofstra                       WrestleStat Prediction
125     (18)Eric Barnett (So)     (243) Jacob Moon       Win
133     (77) Ethan Rotondo        (240) Joel Mylin       Win
141     (111) Joey Zargo (F)     (134) Justin Hoyle       Win
149     (#8) Austin Gomez             (180) Michael Leandrou Win
157     (43) Garrett Model (J)     (48) Greg Gaxiola           Win
165     (53) Dean Hamiti (Fr)     (65) Ricky Stamm           Win
174     (#8) Andrew McNally (Sr)     (59) Ross McFarland      Win
184     (21) Chris Weiler (Se)     (38) Charles Small          Win
197     (94) Braxton Amos (F)     (51) Trey Rogers          Loss
285     (7) Trent Hillger (Jr)             (26) Zachary Kighton-Ward Win
WrestleStat Prediction:  Wisconsin Victory 34-4

Some interesting facts about Hofstra:

1.  157 Gaxiola is a 2X NCAA Qualifier
2.  165 Stamm is a 2X NCAA Qualifier
3.  184 Small is an NCAA Qualifier but has lost 2X to Weiler
4.  197 Rogers is an NCAA Qualifier and is projected by WrestleStat to major decision Amos
5.  285 Kighton-ward is a 2X NCAA Qualifier

I think the most interesting match ups are 157, 165 and 197.  I think Model and Hamiti both have tough match ups that they should win on paper but they will be tested again.  I am hoping Amos sees that he is not getting much respect from WrestleStat and makes a statement.  133 is a winnable match for either Rotondo or Burwick.  Hofstra has more quality wrestlers than I realized.  Should be a great match up favoring the Badgers with a few tougher matches.

gwmiller44

Badgers -21 NC-17
Really? Think, Wow!

Harris

InterMat Rankings 11/16/21

125    10 Eric Barnett
133    NR Ethan Rotondo
141    NR Joey Zargo
149    19 Austin Gomez
157    NR Garret Model
165    25 Dean Hamiti
174    8 Andrew McNally
184    17 Chris Weiler
197    18 Braxton Amos
285    6 Trent Hillger

dad 2 5

I don't think it will take long for some of the guys to climb up in the ranking

Harris

The Badgers will wrestle North Carolina first at 4:30 PM CT and then Hofstra at 6:30 PM on Saturday, November 27th on the BigNetwork+.  Here is the Badger schedule with a link to the Big Ten Plus broadcast.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/wrestling/schedule/2021-22

Harris

125   #17 Eric Barnett    #98 Spencer Moore   W MD 11 - 0
133   #42 Kyle Burwick   #27 Jaime Hernandez    L DEC 7 - 3
141   #106 Joseph Zargo   #12 Kizhan Clarke    L DEC 9 - 5
149   #9 Austin Gomez    #10 Zach Sherman   W DEC 9 - 4
157   #45 Garrett Model   #1 Austin O'Connor    L MD 13 - 5
165   #44 Dean Hamiti    #88 Sonny Santiago   W MD 10 - 0
174   #9 Andrew McNally   #10 Clay Lautt    L DEC 6 - 1
184   #21 Chris Weiler   #49 Gavin Kane    L DEC 8 - 2
197   #104 Braxton Amos    #27 Max Shaw   W DEC 6 - 2
285   #9 Trent Hillger    #43 Brandon Whitman   W FALL 4:08

Great dual win for the Badgers.  Really loved the way Barnett, Gomez, Hamiti, Amos and Hillger got after it.  Zargo wrestled Clarke tough and was gassing him at the end.  Weiler looked sluggish.  McNally and Model lost tough ones.

Harris

125   #17 Eric Barnett    #232 Dylan Acevedo-Switzer   W FALL 3:34
133   #91 Ethan Rotondo    #168 Jacob Moon   W FALL 6:02
141   #106 Joseph Zargo    #119 Justin Hoyle   W MD 22 - 8
149   #9 Austin Gomez    #180 Michael Leandrou   W TF5 16 - 1 1:38
157   #45 Garrett Model   #103 Joe McGinty    L FALL 4:14
165   #44 Dean Hamiti    #68 Ricky Stamm   W TF5 16 - 0 5:00
174   #9 Andrew McNally    #158 Corey Langner   W FALL 3:18
184   #21 Chris Weiler   #51 Charles Small    L DEC 3 - 2
197   #104 Braxton Amos   #60 Trey Rogers    L SV-1 6 - 4
285   #9 Trent Hillger    #24 Zachary Knighton-Ward   W FALL 6:56

Another great dual win for the Badgers.  Barnett looked great again.  He is wrestling tough.  Great to see Rotondo get his first win and Zargo win in front of his hometown crowd.  Gomez is an animal and I love his mat wrestling.  He is dangerous in all positions.  What a heart breaking loss for Model who was in control and winning the match.  Hamiti is exciting to watch as well.  Can't wait to see him against some tougher competition.  McNally with the angry pin after losing in the first dual.  I think Weiler should have won that match.  He just seemed a little sluggish tonight.  Amos was in control of the match and seemed to lose steam after the hands to face point.  I think the weight cut is his biggest challenge at this point.  Thor looks great.  Glad he is back to being healthy.  He is so fast.