Donald E. Herrmann 1932 - 2016

Started by TomM, September 06, 2023, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Donald E. Herrmann
1932 - 2016

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/stevenspointjournal/name/donald-herrmann-obituary?id=8044322

Send Flowers

Donald E. Herrmann
1932 - 2016

Donald E. Herrmann obituary, 1932-2016, Madison, WI

Send Flowers

BORN

DIED

About
Oconto High School
University of Wisconsin

FUNERAL HOME
Cress Funeral & Cremation Service - Madison West
3610 Speedway Road
Madison, Wisconsin
View Website

Donald Herrmann Obituary
Herrmann, Donald E.

Madison - Donald E. Herrmann, age 84, of Madison, passed away unexpectedly at home on Monday, September 5, 2016. Don was born on July 19, 1932 in Chicago, Illinois to William and Antonia Herrmann. When Don was 13, his family moved from Chicago to Minocqua, Wisconsin where Don lived until he graduated high school.

Don was united in marriage to his college sweetheart, Jean Robertson, on June 10, 1953. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, Don taught math at Oconto High School where he also coached football and wrestling. He then moved to Madison to attend graduate school, where he taught on the University of Wisconsin physical education faculty and served as Executive Secretary of the American College of Sports Medicine. During this time, he also worked as a referee for football and wrestling, including Wisconsin state tournaments, Big Ten, and the NCAA National Wrestling Championships. In 1973 Don became Assistant Director at the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association where he worked until retirement. After retirement, Don moved back to Madison and remained active in a variety of civic organizations.

Throughout his life, Don loved athletics. He was a multi-sport athlete in high school and college, coach, referee, and athletic administrator. Don was inducted into the George Martin Wrestling Hall of Fame, the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point Athletic Hall of Fame, the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame, and the Wisconsin Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame. He also received a Lifetime Service Award from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. In addition, Don served as an elected official in the Town of Hull, and was involved in a variety of civic organizations, including President of his local Kiwanis.

Don was preceded in death by his wife of 62 years, Jean Herrmann, as well as his parents, William and Antonia Herrmann, and two brothers, Eugene and Robert Herrmann. He is survived by three children, Scott (Mary) Herrmann, Sherri (Len) Pilon, and Susan (Scott) Mindock, as well as 6 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.

Visitation will be held from 5pm to 7pm with a memorial service at 7pm on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at Cress Funeral Home, 3610 Speedway Road, Madison, Wisconsin. In lieu of flowers, Don had suggested a donation to the Hale Quandt Memorial Scholarship Fund, online at https://give.uwsp.edu/give-now or by mail to 2100 Main Street, Suite 134, Stevens Point, Wisconsin 54481.

Cress Funeral and

Cremation Service

3610 Speedway Road Madison

608-238-3434

Please share your memories at

www.CressFuneralService.com

Published by Stevens Point Journal on Sep. 9, 2016.
To plant trees in memory, please visit the Sympathy Store.

Sign the Guest Book
Memories and Condolences
for Donald Herrmann
Sponsored by Cress Funeral & Cremation Service - Madison West.

Expand the Memories and Condolences form.
Add a memory or share condolences
Not sure what to say?

Add a Photo
Submit Your Message
6 Entries
Joining those from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), who express both condolences but also wonderful memories of a thoughtful and caring contributor at so many levels. Don leaves an extraordinary legacy through people and organizations that will continue far into the future. God bless.

Jim Whitehead, CEO/Executive Vice President
American College of Sports Medicine
Indianapolis, IN
September 13, 2016
My condolences to Don's family. I first met him in the early 1970's and he invited me to take part in a sports medicine symposium on wrestling that he had organized for the American College of Sports Medicine. He was a most gracious, warm, friendly and enthusiastic professional. I won't ever forget the positive role model and courtesy he showed me as a young person in this field.

William G. Herbert, PhD, FACSM
Professor Emeritus
Department of Human Nutrition, Foods & Exercise
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA
September 11, 2016
Donald was a good Town of Hull Portage County, WI supervisor when I served on the Town of Hull Parks Commission from 1987 until 1994. Donald was a strong supporter of town parks and recreation and was instrumental in the implementation of the Town of Hull Parks Master Plan of to my knowledge is somewhat still used today. May God rest Donalds soul. I will remember Donald in my prayers
Phillip J. Janowski
September 10, 2016
Hugs and prayers to the family of Don . He was my wrestling coach and teacher at Wittenberg high School in 1955 and 1956, Joe Groshek
September 9, 2016
Worked at the WIAA with Don and he was always so kind. Sympathy to the family.
Mary Self
September 9, 2016
Offering our deepest condolences during this difficult time.
The Staff of Cress Funeral & Cremation Service
September 9, 2016
Showing 1 - 6 of 6 results
Make a Donation
in Donald Herrmann's name

Memorial Events
for Donald Herrmann
SEP
Visitation
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Cress Funeral & Cremation Service - Madison West
3610 Speedway Road, Madison, WI 53705