Dake vs Burroughs... Match 2

Started by leg turk, June 26, 2013, 08:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

Pretty exciting by both wrestlers.

The scoring has me a little puzzled and I had trouble rewinding the video....but still a great match regardless of the outcome.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

hammen

Quote from: whatever on June 26, 2013, 09:16:54 AM

The scoring has me a little puzzled and I had trouble rewinding the video....but still a great match regardless of the outcome.

Which part of the score is puzzling? It looked pretty good.

bigoil

Quote from: hammen on June 26, 2013, 08:33:56 PM
Quote from: whatever on June 26, 2013, 09:16:54 AM

Which part of the score is puzzling? It looked pretty good.

I would assume he is talking about when it was 3-1 Dake and Burroughs shot in for a take down (2) called by the announcer and then a reversal/push out by Dake for 1 and yet the score was 4-4. Burroughs was awarded 1 for hand to hand not pointed out by the announcer but if you watch the ref you can see 1 blue.

bigG

Yeah, that looked right to me.

Great match. May have been two tuff losses for Dake; but he was wrestling possibly the best on the planet.

I thought Dake was gonna launch him for a second, there.

You just can't beat the Burroughs double.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

What a tremendous match!  Dake is much closer to Burroughs than I expected. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

hammen

Quote from: imnofish on June 27, 2013, 08:54:24 AM
What a tremendous match!  Dake is much closer to Burroughs than I expected. 

I think he is still pretty far off, but he did much better that 2nd match than most probably expected. Remember the first match was a quick tech fall, so he's not as close as that OT match would appear.

npope

If FILA rules had applied (no OT), as they will at the World Cup, Dake would have won that second match.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Gutwrench

The take home I had is that when Burroughs really turned it on, he almost always got a score out of it.  I know there is a lot that goes into it, but it seemed to me like when Burroughs really poured it on there really wasn't anything Dake could do to stop him.

hammen

Quote from: npope on June 27, 2013, 09:50:47 AM
If FILA rules had applied (no OT), as they will at the World Cup, Dake would have won that second match.

But they didn't apply. If they had, one can assume Burroughs would've been persistent to score before the end of regulation.

Greco

Quote from: npope on June 27, 2013, 09:50:47 AM

Not quite. Burroughs would have gotten 2 for that leg lace instead of just one. At the World Cup hand-to-hand turns are worth 2. Burroughs would have been ahead 7-6 at the end of regulation.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Greco

Thanks Tom. Interesting points about overtime in that article.
Do you think that the IOC frowns on overtime because it makes it harder to time the schedule for event completion and broadcasts?

Do you think that fans like overtime that much better than a tie being decided by criteria? Like the article said, the one overtime took six minutes to decide, which means only 2 points of scoring in six minutes. If the IOC is looking for more scoring per minute, overtime might be a detriment.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I prefer the wrestlers determine the outcome on the mat instead of arbitrary criteria.

The overtime added a high level of drama to the event.   Yes, Dake/Howe wrestled for an additional 6 minutes, but it was sudden death and either of them could have won at any moment.

The first one to score wins - it's simple, and everyone watching knows what's on the line. 

If this was on TV, I am pretty sure even the casual fan would stay tuned in ....

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Greco

I would say that the wrestlers already determined the outcome by the score that they produced during regulation time. Note: with the new rules it is impossible to get to the end of regulation time with a 0-0 score.

The criteria is not arbitrary (random or uncertain) it is spelled out and defined. The average fan might not like the fact that they have no idea what the criteria is. If they do, then it is exciting knowing that Burroughs has to score because he would lose a tie by criteria since Dake has a 3 and he doesn't.

I agree that the casual fan would stay tuned in if they already saw the regulation part of the match and wanted to see how it ends. But, would the casual fan notice that the last weight class' match was cut from the broadcast because the overtime matches used up the time slot allocated to wrestling?