First Tournament ever

Started by bigoil, March 09, 2022, 11:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last Ride

Quote from: Rat on March 12, 2022, 11:02:14 AM

Belmont Wisconsin 1973 We had just won the fever river league championship in basketball. My basketball coach gave everyone a team picture on the back of mine he wrote not a bad basketball player. GO OUT FOR WRESTLING that's way back when coaches were smarter than the kids. I wrestled the next day.

Haha wise words from your old basketball coach.
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

whatever

Great topic!

I had a bunch of older brothers who wrestled but my first tournament was when I was 5 and my mom took me and two of my older brothers to Janesville.  I'll never forget it because my mom (who was very social) started chatting with a dad who was entering his oldest son who was also 5.  Our parents became good friends over the next few years as we were always at the same youth tournaments.  He went on to have a very successful career for Oconomowoc (state champ as a sophomore, 3rd and 2nd) but luckily for me he was always quite a bit smaller.  Spent a lot of weekends going to tournaments with his family when my mom couldn't drive us.  After the tournament, I'd spend the night at his farm and my mom would pick me up on Sunday .

The kid was Dan Marks.  Great family!
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

imnofish

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on March 11, 2022, 11:21:18 AM
Quote from: imnofish on March 11, 2022, 10:46:13 AM
I certainly remember mine.  It was back in 1962, when I was a 5th grader.  The tournament was at Sycamore, Illinois.  I took 3rd in an 8-man bracket.   In my last match, I recall coming from behind to win in the closing seconds, by scoring an escape, takedown, and 3-point nearfall.
So you were Jayson Ness' inspiration.

LOL!  I doubt I inspired anyone back then.  This was the first tournament in our area for kids not yet in high school. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Spartan

bigoil

That's the second Lakeland open, only one year apart and whatever references that in the other thread.

Houndhead

Grapl

Yes the Lakeland Open was in Minocqua

Houndhead

Quote from: Grapl on March 15, 2022, 11:42:53 AM
Yes the Lakeland Open was in Minocqua

I remember some high schoolers going to the Lakeland Open when I was in grade school, but I don't remember it being held when I was in High school.

TomM

Quote from: Spartan on March 14, 2022, 04:16:14 AM
Lakeland Open 1973

That tournament  was probably started by George Martin Hall of Fame  member
Wayne Stapleford.

https://www.wiwrestlinghofhonorees.org/alpha/s/stapleford-wayne/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

BloodTime

Mat Rats Youth Tournament in 2010, I was in third grade. Didn't win a single match there, but I got to eat nachos at the tournament so I couldn't complain.

Gutwrench

3rd grade at the Port Washington youth tournament 1982.  I wasn't on the team per se, but my older brother was wrestling. The coach asked my parents if I wanted to give it a go.  My parents asked me and I said sure.  Coach found me a little singlet and sent me out there.  Won the tournament.  ;)

Started full time the next year in 4th grade.