Dropping weight classes for meets/tournies

Started by smacks, February 09, 2017, 08:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smacks

Can someone provide the cliff notes version of dropping weight classes?

Is the below information correct?

1.  If your minimum skinfold weight was calculated before 12/25 you do not need to make scratch weight and could qualify for that weight using your growth allowance.  Ie: a wrestler could wrestle at 152, when weighing 155, despite never making the scratch weight of 152

2.  If your minimum skinfold weight was calculated after 12/25, you would need to make your scratch weight of 152 at least once before you could qualify to wrestle 152 for the remainder of season using your weight allowance?

3.  I believe Track keeps track of the .5/day drop and the minimum weight classes, but does trackwrestling keep also keep track of the minimum weight classes and whether they have made scratch weight as not all matches are recorded on track?  If not, who is responsible for knowing when a minimum/new minimum weight was established for a wrestler and who is able to drop down in weight class and if they have/have not made scratch weight.

4.  How do you bring this into question and with whom do you speak, without seeming like a jag, or is this just not a rule that is enforced and do you just let it go if you are not 100% certain about a wrestler being eligible for a weight.

Please feel free to add.

Thanks

Ghetto

Quote from: smacks on February 09, 2017, 08:28:25 AM
Can someone provide the cliff notes version of dropping weight classes?

Is the below information correct?

1.  If your minimum skinfold weight was calculated before 12/25 you do not need to make scratch weight and could qualify for that weight using your growth allowance.  Ie: a wrestler could wrestle at 152, when weighing 155, despite never making the scratch weight of 152
CORRECT
2.  If your minimum skinfold weight was calculated after 12/25, you would need to make your scratch weight of 152 at least once before you could qualify to wrestle 152 for the remainder of season using your weight allowance?
FROM MY UNDERSTANDING, CORRECT.
3.  I believe Track keeps track of the .5/day drop and the minimum weight classes, but does trackwrestling keep also keep track of the minimum weight classes and whether they have made scratch weight as not all matches are recorded on track?  If not, who is responsible for knowing when a minimum/new minimum weight was established for a wrestler and who is able to drop down in weight class and if they have/have not made scratch weight.
I have never seen where trackwrestling keeps track of the .5 per day. It can only go off of the initial body fat test. Most tournaments don't enter the weights into track, so there's no real way to see where a kid should be or not be. It also will not have the initial drop  to scratch weight, unless a tournament added the weights in.

4.  How do you bring this into question and with whom do you speak, without seeming like a jag, or is this just not a rule that is enforced and do you just let it go if you are not 100% certain about a wrestler being eligible for a weight.
It is a tough thing to bring up. You look like a jag no matter what, though really it's the offending coach's issue.  It isn't enforced all that often. It would have to be brought up to the head official I would think, and then they would have to ask the coach for documentation.

Please feel free to add.

Thanks

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

CLC FAN

I'm with Ghetto on points A, B, and C.  As far as who to challenge with, your team's head coach should contact the individual in question 's head coach.  If that coach can produce documentation that all is legit - issue resolved.  If his documentation shows a wrestler competed in violation of the rules (past tense), then email Wade Labecki at WIAA with the challenge.  No need to involve a ref if it was a past violation.  Again, such a challenge should come from your  school's head coach. 

If the kid would be in violation if he wrestled a certain weight that day, his coach could bump him up or withdraw him.  If the coach does not change anything, your coach could involve the head ref... usually refs will let the kid compete and leave it to the coach to challenge with WIAA after the fact.

Same goes if the coach cannot produce documentation on the spot.  Usually the practice is to let the kid compete, then any coach can email Wade and issue a formal challenge.  The coach in question then has I believe 3 days to produce past weigh in sheets to clear his kid.

I also agree that there really isn't a way to say "I think you are cheating " without coming off like a jag.  Sometimes it still needs to be done.

smitty71

This is not under the authority of the officials.  They are told to let them wrestle and then the coach would have to file a "protest" with the WIAA.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

padre

Also remember that just because Track shows a minimum weight there are many that can go lower than what is shown with parental permission.

smacks

Quote from: padre on February 09, 2017, 11:44:18 PM
Also remember that just because Track shows a minimum weight there are many that can go lower than what is shown with parental permission.

An individual had his MWC listed on Track all year, then within the last two weeks, it dropped down one class.  Not sure if this was because of parental consent or what else could cause that?  This is what brought up questions about their new MWC and that they had not made their scratch weight class since this change.

The way I read it, they had a new MWC established after 12/25 and would need to make their scratch weight under this scenario. 

In the end, I'm sure there will not be any protest filed and all the kids will just wrestle and see who advances.  I've also spoken to some long time coaches who still seem unsure of the exact rule on this as well regarding 2nd half weight class dropping.

boowrestle

Unless something has changed since last season,Pretty sure that a wrestler never has to actually make the scratch wt.
you can run but you cannot hide.

Numbers

Quote from: boowrestle on February 10, 2017, 08:07:36 AM
Unless something has changed since last season,Pretty sure that a wrestler never has to actually make the scratch wt.
Lowest allowed weight class vs. Growth allowance

These two concepts do not work together under the current system.  That is why there are so many questions.  It is not logical.  You should not be able to have it both ways.

You are the 106 pound state champion, but never weighted in all year at 106, because you couldn't.  But since a test said it would be healthy for you to weigh 109 back in November, you are allowed to weigh 109 in February (and now wrestle in the 106 pound weight class.)

Why?  That is right...kids in high school are still growing so they get a growth allowance!  So if they are still growing, why would the kid not  ??? be retested the last week of January to see if 109 is still a "healthy" weight?  Likely that minimum weight calculation would be 111 or 112 three months later.

I don't think retesting at the end of January in the answer here.  My opinion is you should not be able to use a growth allowance to drop to a weight class you could not wrestle on December 1st.  Apples to Apples, this is logical.

Somehow this should get into the rule book.  What is the opposition?  My kid did not grow the last three months so he should be able to wrestle 106 (when the lowest he ever weighed was 109?)

Armdrag

Numbers your post is a bit off.................if the fat test says a wrestlers lowest possible weight is 109, he is a 113 pounder period..............the rule state that a wrestler does not get to use the growth allowance to be eligible for the lower weight class..........so just because the 106 pound weight class became 109 in February the wrestler who has his lowest possible weight at 109 is not eligible to wrestle 106 (as I said rule states a wrestler whose lowest possible weight is not at least as low as the scratch  weight class can not become eligible for that weight class when growth allowance hits)......part of your post is correct as long as I skin folded before 12/25 and my lowest weight is 106 I am a 106 pounder........but may never weigh 106 the entire season, might weight till Christmas when it becomes 108 or February when it becomes 109.........hope that made sense????

imwi

Quote from: Armdrag on February 10, 2017, 08:47:30 AM
Numbers your post is a bit off.................if the fat test says a wrestlers lowest possible weight is 109, he is a 113 pounder period..............the rule state that a wrestler does not get to use the growth allowance to be eligible for the lower weight class..........so just because the 106 pound weight class became 109 in February the wrestler who has his lowest possible weight at 109 is not eligible to wrestle 106 (as I said rule states a wrestler whose lowest possible weight is not at least as low as the scratch  weight class can not become eligible for that weight class when growth allowance hits)......part of your post is correct as long as I skin folded before 12/25 and my lowest weight is 106 I am a 106 pounder........but may never weigh 106 the entire season, might weight till Christmas when it becomes 108 or February when it becomes 109.........hope that made sense????

This is correct and it's a Wisconsin thing.  Other states (at least PA), allows what Numbers said, you can use the growth allowance to qualify for a weight, in Wisconsin, you can not.

Numbers

Quote from: imwi on February 10, 2017, 09:07:35 AM
Quote from: Armdrag on February 10, 2017, 08:47:30 AM

This is correct and it's a Wisconsin thing.  Other states (at least PA), allows what Numbers said, you can use the growth allowance to qualify for a weight, in Wisconsin, you can not.

Glad to hear Wisconsin has that in place.  Thanks for the update.  Don't worry, I don't run a high school program.

kneeslide

Quote from: boowrestle on February 10, 2017, 08:07:36 AM
The wrestler actually gas to make the scratch weight if they appealed after Christmas.  This has been in place for a number of years.  If the lowest weight is determined prior to Christmas then the wrestler never has to ake the lowest weight.