Last trip to Madison as a Youth

Started by walkd, March 26, 2014, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkd

No matter the ending, it has been a good ride.  Going from one win the entire first year of wrestling in 1st grade, to a solid second year where he did not want to go to Regionals, because in his words, I'm not good enough yet.  He hesitated to go out for wrestling his third year, but did at the last minute.  That has been followed with 6 straight years of travel to Madison.  The first two years were two and out.  The third year, we just wanted to place, never expecting to make to the finals.  We have been very fortunate to make it to the finals the last three years, to make it four years in a row would go against the odds I guess.  Going to Madison never gets old.  As we close this chapter, we look forward to the next in high school.  I don't know how this year will end, maybe good, or not so good, but regardless, it has been an enjoyable ride.  I love my son dearly, and he has made me very proud on and off the mat.  We have made many friends from many clubs, kids and parents.  Much respect and thanks to all of you.  To all, enjoy the moment no matter the outcome, it should not be taken for granted.

foose4

Quote from: walkd on March 26, 2014, 01:52:20 PM
No matter the ending, it has been a good ride.  Going from one win the entire first year of wrestling in 1st grade, to a solid second year where he did not want to go to Regionals, because in his words, I'm not good enough yet.  He hesitated to go out for wrestling his third year, but did at the last minute.  That has been followed with 6 straight years of travel to Madison.  The first two years were two and out.  The third year, we just wanted to place, never expecting to make to the finals.  We have been very fortunate to make it to the finals the last three years, to make it four years in a row would go against the odds I guess.  Going to Madison never gets old.  As we close this chapter, we look forward to the next in high school.  I don't know how this year will end, maybe good, or not so good, but regardless, it has been an enjoyable ride.  I love my son dearly, and he has made me very proud on and off the mat.  We have made many friends from many clubs, kids and parents.  Much respect and thanks to all of you.  To all, enjoy the moment no matter the outcome, it should not be taken for granted.

Well said and agreed.  It will be a bittersweet moment as we leave the Alliant Center Saturday Night.  I know people say it's just youth and high school means more.  I say bull crap, every moment means a lot at that moment, no matter what the age.  Memories are memories no matter when made.  I know our family has made some great memories and we hope that continues on in high school.  Our family has met many people and made great friends during the last 9 years and we hope to keep those friendships for a lifetime.

Good luck this weekend!
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

catzfan

Well said. Both of you. I hope to have a few more years there with my last wrestler but Youth State has created so many memories, family times, good friends, and lasting lessons. They will not be forgotten. Live in the moment. Enjoy the reward for the hard work (being in Madison) and you get what you get (results) at a great event. Good lessons have come from 'not so good days' there, it's all a journey and Youth State very much a part of that. Good luck!

padre

Enjoy it...time flies so fast.

These times DO matter as it shapes our wrestlers into what they will be as high schoolers and adults.  The wins and losses are engraved in your wrestler's memory and your own for the rest of their life. 

bulldog

This is my youngest son's last year as a youth wrestler and my oldest son's last year as a high school wrestler. Both have enjoyed great success and I have loved watching them at all stages of wrestling. It is NOT just youth wrestling...it is another step in journey. This weekend will be the most important weekend to hundreds of wrestlers that are not in high school. At this moment THIS event in Madison IS the biggest event in their life. If this is your first time to Madison or you have been there many times before, walk out on the mats, look up in the crowd and look around through the eyes that are seeing it for the first time. Remember that feeling of being at youth state with your son or daughter for the first time. It is awesome. The crowd, the excitement, the drama...even the tears and the cheers. To the athletes and their parents...this is the best weekend in wrestling. Enjoy your time. Remember...your wrestler will one day be in 8th grade and this will all be done. Then your wrestler will be a senior in HS and that will all be done. Maybe college for a few but embrace these weekends before they are gone. AND...there are no better friends than the friends we have made during the years of youth wrestling. These are the friends you make for a lifetime. My senior still hangs with kids he wrestled at state in 8th grade. Have a great weekend...we will see you all in Madison...and good luck to everyone

bronco

+1 to each and every one of these statements so far, and for those of you who have stated in the past "it doesn't matter at this level" that is to bad for you, and you are entitled to your opinion - but this is certainly not the case for many others. The memories/accomplishments from my sons youth wrestling will always be treasured by me, as well as the different level of high school wrestling will be, and hopefully, at the highest level beyond. Good luck to everyone this weekend and treasure the memories.