D1 182

Started by All Blue, February 23, 2015, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Quote from: npope on February 23, 2015, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: TomM on February 23, 2015, 05:45:24 PM
It's hard to make predictions when they are in the future. 8)

I predict that we are getting tire of you telling us that one, Tom ;)
You can say that again. 8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Pheasant 1984

My high school coach always said to be the best you will have to beat the best! Get er done!
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

maggie

Topic is D1 182, I'm ALL IN on the kid from Milton, Bowen Wileman...that's all i can say i guess.... ::)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

The Last Ride

Quote from: npope on February 23, 2015, 02:30:26 PM
The need to seed is a reflection of people's concern for placement. I get it, but I don't buy it. For school aged kids we should value process over outcomes (IMHO) because the skills and attributes derived from the experience are the long-term values we purport to be seeking to develop; the outcome (i.e., placement) is just the carrot that has been employed to induce the kids to chase this pursuit with effort, intensity and honor. The color of a medal fades and tarnishes with time, the values derived from stepping up and accepting a true challenge will linger long after the finish on medals are indistinguishable from one another.

While the kids can be forgiven for not knowing better, one would think adults might have a better perspective. Everybody is equal at the state meet - I love it!
Nobody can dispute the fact that we see the real state title wrestled in the Quarters at times... I don't care what the bracket says.. There will be  a true state champ though... can't argue that...
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

MHSfan

The only seeding I'm in favor of is splitting finalist from the previous year up. Especially champs.

whatever

Seems like everyone is preaching to the choir.....and the wrong choir.

I was at the Regionals where a parent of ours was a former high school classmate of Mr. Wade Labecki.

Mr. Labecki told this parent that the WIAA WANTS the State individual tournament to be seeded and even has a formula to do so.

However, the change must come from the WWCA and the coaches are the ones who are unwilling to propose the change to seed the State tournament.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

The Last Ride

Quote from: whatever on February 24, 2015, 11:44:57 AM

I was at the Regionals where a parent of ours was a former high school classmate of Mr. Wade Labecki.

Mr. Labecki told this parent that the WIAA WANTS the State individual tournament to be seeded and even has a formula to do so.

However, the change must come from the WWCA and the coaches are the ones who are unwilling to propose the change to seed the State tournament.

Well there you have it.....Hope to see you in Madtown whatever...
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

Ino

Quote from: Tews19 on February 24, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
Even the WWF  is seeding wrestlers in their respective regionals. First year this will be implemented.

I wouldn't call it seeding, they are separating state qualifiers from last year at regionals and then it is still a random draw for the state brackets.

Paul Harvey

Interesting.....this is somewhat surprising to me. Time to start lobbying the coaches......
And now you know........ the rest of the story........Good Day!

whatever

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 24, 2015, 01:18:36 PM

Well there you have it.....Hope to see you in Madtown whatever...

I'll be sure to look you up, LR....I think I have a pretty good recollection of where that Hudson bunch is situated... ;)
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

dforsythe

Quote from: Paul Harvey on February 23, 2015, 05:05:22 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 23, 2015, 04:30:14 PM
what are the advantages of seeding a tournament full of quality wrestlers? I mean in a way they are seeded first round, would it be better to have sectional champ vs sectional champ? So now we are talking about quarters, is it wrong to have 2 top 4 wrestlers meet in the quarters but OK for them to meet in the semis? Who is being cheated? The guy placing 3rd that "might" have had 2nd as if we are so sure he would have beat the runner up? In my opinion the only thing cheating anyone is not having double elimination.

Why do other great wrestling States seed? Why are the Big10s seeded? Why does the NCAA seed the national tournament? Surely they must be all wrong, right?

Is their something special about the WIAA that we feel it has no impact on the State Tournaments?

The Big10s and NCAA are seeded because of the team scores.