Ben Davino

Started by asdf, April 03, 2023, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdf

going to Ohio State per Flo.  That sucks.

No One Cares

Quote from: asdf on April 03, 2023, 08:16:31 PMgoing to Ohio State per Flo.  That sucks.

Pretty sure to OSU per, um, him.

mkm13

That is the type of receuit we need yearly to have a chance to compwte with the top teams.

BadgerOne

Wow, another whiff and this one hurts.  Ben Davino was in Madison a lot, followed all the coaches and many Badger wrestlers on Twitter (more so than other schools), liked some of the Bono/Badger tweets and Bono couldn't land him. I thought he was the most likely of any of the blue chippers to come to Madison and him coming to Madison might help land another St. Charles stud, Dom Munaretto.  Not landing any of Braedan Scoles, Greyson Clark, A. Sinclair, Mirasolas and Davino really hurts.  While I applaud Bono for revving up the fan base, I just don't see Bono pulling in the elite recruits he needs to take this program to compete with the top programs.  I was excited to get Braxton and Dean, but since then I think all the high school recruits are dart throws at best. 

BadgerOne

I wonder if Bono offered Davino a full ride.  If Bono didn't do that, then it would irk me that he spent all this money on dart throw prospects and didn't have the resources to go big game hunting.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 04, 2023, 09:56:02 AMWow, another whiff and this one hurts.  Ben Davino was in Madison a lot, followed all the coaches and many Badger wrestlers on Twitter (more so than other schools), liked some of the Bono/Badger tweets and Bono couldn't land him. I thought he was the most likely of any of the blue chippers to come to Madison and him coming to Madison might help land another St. Charles stud, Dom Munaretto.  Not landing any of Braedan Scoles, Greyson Clark, A. Sinclair, Mirasolas and Davino really hurts.  While I applaud Bono for revving up the fan base, I just don't see Bono pulling in the elite recruits he needs to take this program to compete with the top programs.  I was excited to get Braxton and Dean, but since then I think all the high school recruits are dart throws at best. 

The landscape of college athletics has significantly changed since the NIL rules(or lack there of) and transfer portal.  To land the blue chippers(HS or transfers), programs have to learn to to play and win the NIL game.  Coaches need the tools and resources to succeed.  My guess at UW, those tools and resources are likely all eaten up by football, basketball's, hockey's and probably volleyball

Money has tipped the balance in what parents/kids are looking for.  The traditional values are now moving down the priority list.  So, don't always be so quick to blame the coaches and call these kids going to other schools for more money a whiff.  Heck, look at the money reported this week that women's basketball players are getting.  The one stud LSU girl left Maryland and now make over $500K in NIL.  Under your logic there are hundreds of programs that are whiffing then

BadgerOne

Quote from: novice wrestler on April 04, 2023, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 04, 2023, 09:56:02 AMWow, another whiff and this one hurts.  Ben Davino was in Madison a lot, followed all the coaches and many Badger wrestlers on Twitter (more so than other schools), liked some of the Bono/Badger tweets and Bono couldn't land him. I thought he was the most likely of any of the blue chippers to come to Madison and him coming to Madison might help land another St. Charles stud, Dom Munaretto.  Not landing any of Braedan Scoles, Greyson Clark, A. Sinclair, Mirasolas and Davino really hurts.  While I applaud Bono for revving up the fan base, I just don't see Bono pulling in the elite recruits he needs to take this program to compete with the top programs.  I was excited to get Braxton and Dean, but since then I think all the high school recruits are dart throws at best. 

The landscape of college athletics has significantly changed since the NIL rules(or lack there of) and transfer portal.  To land the blue chippers(HS or transfers), programs have to learn to to play and win the NIL game.  Coaches need the tools and resources to succeed.  My guess at UW, those tools and resources are likely all eaten up by football, basketball's, hockey's and probably volleyball

Money has tipped the balance in what parents/kids are looking for.  The traditional values are now moving down the priority list.  So, don't always be so quick to blame the coaches and call these kids going to other schools for more money a whiff.  Heck, look at the money reported this week that women's basketball players are getting.  The one stud LSU girl left Maryland and now make over $500K in NIL.  Under your logic there are hundreds of programs that are whiffing then

Actually, I'm not the only one to call Davino not going to Wisconsin a whiff.  A poster on the Penn State Wrestling Board called it a whiff too as he thought Davino was most likely going to Wisconsin.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 04, 2023, 11:51:42 AM

Actually, I'm not the only one to call Davino not going to Wisconsin a whiff.  A poster on the Penn State Wrestling Board called it a whiff too as he thought Davino was most likely going to Wisconsin.

Great, don't read Penn State's board.  Could care less about them.   And please enough for the AWA kids narrative as whiffs. You know as well as anyone, it is is extremely unlikely they will go against the Askerns word and give UW a good look

BadgerOne

Quote from: novice wrestler on April 04, 2023, 11:56:45 AM

Great, don't read Penn State's board.  Could care less about them.   And please enough for the AWA kids narrative as whiffs. You know as well as anyone, it is is extremely unlikely they will go against the Askerns word and give UW a good look

Well, when Chris Bono took the job, he said he could make Wisconsin into a top five program that could compete for titles, and he'd be able to keep the best wrestlers in Wisconsin at Madison (he said he'd seal the border).  Why isn't it fair to call losing top instate talent to other schools, a whiff?  He got Clark and Sinclair along with Davino in for a week to train and wrestle with the German team.  Didn't Bono have a good opportunity to make his mark with these wrestlers? 

vsmf2010

Take a look at the facilities that The OSU has to offer. Not a level playing field at all. Going to be tough to compete with the top teams with the current facilities.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/facilities/jennings-practice-facility/

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 04, 2023, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: novice wrestler on April 04, 2023, 11:56:45 AM

Well, when Chris Bono took the job, he said he could make Wisconsin into a top five program that could compete for titles, and he'd be able to keep the best wrestlers in Wisconsin at Madison (he said he'd seal the border).  Why isn't it fair to call losing top instate talent to other schools, a whiff?  He got Clark and Sinclair along with Davino in for a week to train and wrestle with the German team.  Didn't Bono have a good opportunity to make his mark with these wrestlers? 

And....what would you expect him to say?  Almost all coaches say that,  Crazy post.   But also, we can all agree the playing field and the traditonal values of recruiting have changed since Bono was hired.   How about player retention?  Coach Fickell hit it on the nose when he said that to retain your own players you have to recruit them daily.  Schools came looking for B. Allen

asdf

Quote from: No One Cares on April 03, 2023, 09:07:22 PM
Quote from: asdf on April 03, 2023, 08:16:31 PMgoing to Ohio State per Flo.  That sucks.

Pretty sure to OSU per, um, him.

Yeah he committed to Ohio State University, whats your point?

The Legend

If Bono can't adapt to the landscape of recruiting as it is, then we have the wrong coach.  Quit making excuses for him.  Isn't that exhausting? Me personally I still think recruiting is his strength. But if he fails at it?  The program is in trouble.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: The Legend on April 04, 2023, 01:47:48 PMIf Bono can't adapt to the landscape of recruiting as it is, then we have the wrong coach.  Quit making excuses for him.  Isn't that exhausting? Me personally I still think recruiting is his strength. But if he fails at it?  The program is in trouble.

No need to make any excuses, Bono/Reader are great recruiters!!   My response is to the people who call it a whiff when going after the elite of the elite and not getting them.  These are highly sought after kids and the success rate is not going to be perfect.  Every college coach in all sports are learning and adapting on the go.   They will figure it out

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 04, 2023, 12:19:10 PMTake a look at the facilities that The OSU has to offer. Not a level playing field at all. Going to be tough to compete with the top teams with the current facilities.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/facilities/jennings-practice-facility/

Wrestling is a sport where all you need to engage in the sport are mats and all college programs have mats.  I am pretty sure Reader tweets often that Madison is the best college campus in  America, so if he is right how can other schools compete with that?  Braxton Amos and Dean Hamiti could have gone anywhere and they chose Madison, so I guess they didn't think a new shiny practice facility was overly important.