State Tournament Streak

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 19, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlingislife_189

It's that time of the year again! State tournament time! Congratulations to all of the hard working athletes that made the state tournament this year. There is a lot of time and effort put in to make it to the Kohl Center. Also, congratulations to every single student-athlete that stepped on a mat this year. Even if you didn't accomplish all of your goals this year, know that you have learned some great life lessons that will propel you forward into being a successful person. That's one of the great benefits our our sport.

Anyway, as we embark on our 75th annual WIAA state tournament, I think about all of the great matches I've witnessed. From heart break to absolute exhilaration, you see it all. That's what makes our state tournament great. Good luck to all of the wrestlers this weekend!

I've been going to the state tournament for 18 years now. How many consecutive years have you gone and what are some of your favorite memories?

bigoil

Nekoosa mayor something like that - he's got to be close to 50?

woody53

This will be my 43rd year working the Tournament. As most that know me. Other than my Family and my Faith. This means everything to me.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

The most important memories. Coaching my two time State champ and all the others that made it to State while I was running the Tournament. Thank you WIAA. The other was when Kelly Bires and Mike Rohewtis (SP) held up Cory Henry's Jacket. Never replace that.

woody53

And Yes, The Mayor has me in the streak ! ;)

doublegotcha

This will be my 31st year in a row.  Would be longer but car wouldn't start my freshman year in college.  My favorites memories are coaching my two sons in 6 state tournaments.

TomM

Quote from: doublegotcha on February 19, 2018, 06:50:15 PM
This will be my 31st year in a row.  Would be longer but car wouldn't start my freshman year in college.  My favorites memories are coaching my two sons in 6 state tournaments.

Those AMC Pacers were not reliable. 8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Hungus

You're killing me Smalls!!!

Chuck

This will make 40 for me. As much as I love the seats in the Kohl Center I would be willing to go back to the barn for 1 session per year and that would be Friday night. That way they would have to go back to only using 3 mats for semi finals.

statman

this will be year 18 for me. I almost missed a year when I was coaching at Bloomington kennedy but our kid lost first round and I booked it down to Madison in time for the semifinals.
they don't call me statman for nothin

RedDawn1966

i dont have a streak like years in a row because a couple times i didnt have a car but all in all i bet i got down there to Madison at least 20 times over all the years

Grapl

This will be my 41st year.  I did miss some sessions when I was wrestling/coaching in college.  I was able to sneak away and watch Hanutke win his 4th.

bud

30+ for me. Started in the mid 80"s.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

MarkK

Lot's and lots.  I enjoy hanging out with my wrestling friends.  Going to the coffee shops, watching great matches and talking with parents who are so proud of their wrestlers. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

dforsythe

34 years for me, but this year I get to coach my son. This one is extra special.