Fundamentals

Started by wrestlingislife_189, December 06, 2014, 09:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlingislife_189

Last night I went to a dual meet and it was incredibly frustrating to me. First off, there were too many forfeits, which we all know is way to prevalent in today's wrestling world. Second, the fundamentals were not there. Hand control on bottom to get out, keeping your head up on bottom, setting up a good leg attack, staying off your hip, finishing a move, staying in your stance, sprawl/crossface/whizzer, the list goes on and on. It was frustrating to see some of these basic things not in use. A lot of matches could have ended differently if some of these basic wrestling principles were used. I understand it is the first match of the year but coaches need to focus in on some of these things so their kids have a complete understand of the greatest sport on earth! Has anyone else noticed a lack of fundamentals? Sorry about the rant.

crossface21

I think it's because there are more wrestlers being put in varsity line ups that shouldn't be. They should be on JV level instead. It's not that they are lacking the fundamentals, it's that they are still new and lacking skills and experience to be on the varsity level.

It would help if we didn't have to try and fill 14 weight classes. It probably also has something to do with where guys minimum weight is and that's why there are so many FF's- coaches can't get all their actual varsity talented guys in the lineup. Even Wisconsin has had problems getting guys into the lineup because of weight issues. ;)
See what I did there? Just turned this thread into another "too many weight classes, minimum weight, AND Barry Davis argument":)

bigG

Well done, sir.  :)

It may be just my school; but our numbers aren't huge, but we kind of make it understood, if you can take a varsity forfeit, you can also be stuck wrestling a state champ. There've been times we've held kids out per mass inexperience.

My boy just started, in 8th grade. I'm pretty happy with his progress; but bite the heck out of my lip watching the same mistakes I've helped a bunch of kids through.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.