Big Green Egg grill

Started by ramjet, June 10, 2016, 07:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Anyone have one of these. The concept looks solid and they seem to cover the gamut of cooking style and methods. I trial investment seem a little steep but what could wear out? I am on my second Green Mountain pellet grill between the two I could have owned a Big Green Egg. Fuel costs look to be close to the same per hour of operation. Low and slow or hot and fast.

http://biggreenegg.com

TomM

They do seem neat. Catches my eye every time I see one in a store.
If you will get a lot of use out of it, it's a great investment. (you only live once.)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Al I know is that folks that buy them show dedication to those pricey suckers. I'm thinking of making a fridge smoker.

Latest ATK test center knowledge: soaking wood chips does nothing. Even over night, they take on less than 1percent of their weight. No need to soak wood chips.

I've heard the egg is the best chicken cooking device. Haven't tried one, yet. I just use the ole barrel style. Charcoal/wood.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Feedback from two folks who one; Accurate and precise temperature regulation. Natural charcoal less used because of the temp regulation and insulating properties of the ceramic design. Food flavor is outstanding and capacity is great without hot spots. "Worth every penny I paid for it!" both owners quoted.

bigG

I always waned to make flat bread by slapping the dough to the side of the inside of one of those. Seems given the distance from the coals makes the egg use heat retention and smoke to cook. Sounds good to me.

Then again, nobody who blows that kind of $ on a grill is gonna say they got scammed.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.