Appetizer – New Year’s Eve

Started by Kjohnson, December 28, 2013, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Appetizer – New Year's Eve

Going to a get together and need to bring a dish to pass. I'm sure the host will have the basics, I need something a little different.   In the past, it doesn't seem to be a seafood crowd. Any ideas?

ramjet

2 Bags of Frito scoops

2 small cans of Rotel with chili tomatoes and 1 tube of Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage and one brick of Velveeta cheese.

Melt the velveeta drain the Rotels and pre-cook the spicy sausage and drain off excess fat,  after the velveeta is melted mix in the tomatoes and cooked sausage. Great dip serve warm and the Frito's for dipping make this a real crowd pleaser might want to double the batch its that good.

aarons23

I want to try new and different things this year....we seem to do the same things for Christmas Eve and New Years so I want to change it up this year. Any suggestions would be great.  For Christmas we had hot wings, honey BBQ wings, jalapeño cheese dip, hot itialian cheese balls, meatballs n gravey, raw beef, lil porkies, cheese and sausage and pickled herring. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

aarons23

Quote from: TomM on December 28, 2013, 10:11:14 AM
hmmm hmmmm Mac and cheese...  8)

Actually a good home made Mac n cheese is always a winner with the kids.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Kjohnson

Quote from: aarons23 on December 28, 2013, 09:26:09 AM
I want to try new and different things this year....we seem to do the same things for Christmas Eve and New Years so I want to change it up this year. Any suggestions would be great.  For Christmas we had hot wings, honey BBQ wings, jalapeño cheese dip, hot itialian cheese balls, meatballs n gravey, raw beef, lil porkies, cheese and sausage and pickled herring. 

Looks like you covered it all. Nothing else is left ;D

Kjohnson

Kjohnson

Quote from: aarons23 on December 28, 2013, 11:06:48 AM

Homemade Mac & Cheese with some extras added in......yes :D

bigG

Quote from: ramjet on December 28, 2013, 09:19:25 AM
2 Bags of Frito scoops

2 small cans of Rotel with chili tomatoes and 1 tube of Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage and one brick of Velveeta cheese.

Melt the velveeta drain the Rotels and pre-cook the spicy sausage and drain off excess fat,  after the velveeta is melted mix in the tomatoes and cooked sausage. Great dip serve warm and the Frito's for dipping make this a real crowd pleaser might want to double the batch its that good.

Ram, you oughtta right a cook book for JD sausage. I agree, though, good stuff. Sounds like just the thing to make this little gem sing.

Seriously, though, if you make your own tortilla chips with this dip, you could hurt somebody. Real easy to make. I'm cool with scoops, though. I just don't get Tostitos and all these other weak tortilla chips.

Fritos go great in chili, too. I used to be all about just crackers with chili. these days, cornbread and chili are my favorite combo. Awright, shut up, Greg.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: Kjohnson on December 28, 2013, 12:22:11 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on December 28, 2013, 11:06:48 AM

Homemade Mac & Cheese with some extras added in......yes :D

chili-mac & cheese   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on December 29, 2013, 02:46:29 PM
Quote from: ramjet on December 28, 2013, 09:19:25 AM
2 Bags of Frito scoops

Ram, you oughtta right a cook book for JD sausage. I agree, though, good stuff. Sounds like just the thing to make this little gem sing.

Seriously, though, if you make your own tortilla chips with this dip, you could hurt somebody. Real easy to make. I'm cool with scoops, though. I just don't get Tostitos and all these other weak tortilla chips.

Fritos go great in chili, too. I used to be all about just crackers with chili. these days, cornbread and chili are my favorite combo. Awright, shut up, Greg.

LOL yea they would benefit but it is god stuff.

bigG

Quote from: futurerichguy on December 28, 2013, 10:59:47 AM
Raw Ground Round (freshly ground by the in-store butcher)
Rye Bread
Onions
Salt and pepper to taste

Gotta have this once a year at least. One of my favorites.

Ram, have you tried JD hot yet? I'm seeing it in the stores.

One good one for a meat crowd is to make your own pate out of braunschweiger.

8 ounces braunschweiger liver sausage

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 tablespoon minced onion

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper to taste

bigG

If you don't do that I bet if you made simple ham salad people would rip into it. Stuffed mushrooms usually go fast, too.

I'll be at Tom's house eatin' a lard samich over the sink. ;)

Kjohnson

Decide to go with Grandma J's chocolate chip cookies. It takes a little time but worth it

imnofish

Appetizer: Popcorn, no butter, lightly salted.  Beverage: Barley Pop

Main Course: Another bowl of popcorn

Dessert:  One more barley pop.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!