Team State!

Started by Nailbender, March 02, 2017, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quack

I am not a ref, and I don't like complaining about reffing, but I did not really agree with the ref for D1. I was always told a good ref is not really noticed in a match. Well I didnt really notice the wrestlers. Sometimes I think refs try to take too much control of a match and it kinda ruins it.

Before any of you jump on the band wagon and tell me I should ref if I don't like what is going on, trust me it is not the position for me.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

MarkK

Yep I spelled it wrong all day long.  Types too fast. It looked wrong sorry about that.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

Props to the champs. KK cam on.. Ells. and L-C is just the best rivalry in the state IMHO. Strat rolled as expected. What great teams.

I couldn't be there...any sweet highlights you'd like to share?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

CLC FAN

Quote from: bigG on March 04, 2017, 11:17:42 PM

2nd to last match of the finals, Mike Freund of Ellsworth loses to L-C's state champ by 3 points and both he and all the Ellsworth fans celebrate like he just pinned Dan Gable.  This despite the fact that L-C had just taken the dual lead! Kid knew his job and had faith in the 106 to seal the deal.  Everyone says wrestling is an individual sport, but I like seeing one man demonstrate that he knows it's not about him and that he's part of a whole.  Ellsworth 's fans are pretty educated too it would seem.

On the topic of educated fans... Big cheer came from Kaukauna's fans before their dual with Stoughton started because Kaukauna won the flip!

FinalWord

Quote from: CLC FAN on March 05, 2017, 07:29:46 AM

2nd to last match of the finals, Mike Freund of Ellsworth loses to L-C's state champ by 3 points and both he and all the Ellsworth fans celebrate like he just pinned Dan Gable.  This despite the fact that L-C had just taken the dual lead! Kid knew his job and had faith in the 106 to seal the deal.  Everyone says wrestling is an individual sport, but I like seeing one man demonstrate that he knows it's not about him and that he's part of a whole.  Ellsworth 's fans are pretty educated too it would seem.

On the topic of educated fans... Big cheer came from Kaukauna's fans before their dual with Stoughton started because Kaukauna won the flip!
+111
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

bigG

Quote from: CLC FAN on March 05, 2017, 07:29:46 AM

2nd to last match of the finals, Mike Freund of Ellsworth loses to L-C's state champ by 3 points and both he and all the Ellsworth fans celebrate like he just pinned Dan Gable.  This despite the fact that L-C had just taken the dual lead! Kid knew his job and had faith in the 106 to seal the deal.  Everyone says wrestling is an individual sport, but I like seeing one man demonstrate that he knows it's not about him and that he's part of a whole.  Ellsworth 's fans are pretty educated too it would seem.

It does make for a fulfilling experience when the fans are knowledgeable. Sounds like it was a day defined mostly by class.

woody53

The fan support was great at State. But I can tell you that none of the final six teams will get a Sportsmanship Award. I walk around through all the Quarters, Semis, and Finals. I can honestly say that the team fans that were in the the finals, need to look at who is sitting next to you, to represent your team.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

There are those who go too far. Makes the group look bad.

woody53

Quote from: bigG on March 05, 2017, 03:33:23 PM
There are those who go too far. Makes the group look bad.
Yes, and that is what the Sportsmanship award is all about. "AD's" need to talk to their fans about this for the Tournament.

npope

Quote from: woody53 on March 05, 2017, 02:38:36 PM
The fan support was great at State. But I can tell you that none of the final six teams will get a Sportsmanship Award. I walk around through all the Quarters, Semis, and Finals. I can honestly say that the team fans that were in the the finals, need to look at who is sitting next to you, to represent your team.

Were they "talkin' smack" or some such nonsense? Sometimes fans (grown ups?) need to just let the kids go and stop living vicariously through the exploits of their kids/teams. I'll cut the 16 year-olds a little more slack...but just some.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

woody53

Quote from: npope on March 05, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
Quote from: woody53 on March 05, 2017, 02:38:36 PM

Were they "talkin' smack" or some such nonsense? Sometimes fans (grown ups?) need to just let the kids go and stop living vicariously through the exploits of their kids/teams. I'll cut the 16 year-olds a little more slack...but just some.
I cut the Young Ones a ton of Slack. It is the Adults that need too see what they represent.

bigG

Good points. In school the kids are rarely the problem. They screw up we catch them and deliver a consequence or , better yet, chance to clean up their messes. Then one of the parents catches wind...