Lost Opportunity

Started by Wrestling Novice, March 22, 2021, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestling Novice

Watching the D1 Championships this weekend, I couldn't help but think of the D3 wrestlers that lost a wonderful opportunity to compete.   

Considering that D1 and D2 had no COVID issues.

I still am at a loss as to why D3 could not hold a Championship tournament.  I'm at a bigger loss as to why the WIAC would not allow wrestlers to compete in the replacement tournament.   

How disappointing for those kids.

tigerking

My understanding is the NCAA decided that a certain number of schools would need to participate in order to have NCAA Championships. It was decided that D3 would need 70% participation of schools and they ended up with 61% participation. D1 and D2 both were about the number of schools they needed to participate, so they both were afforded NCAA Championships.

The WIAC did not allow wrestlers to compete at the NWCA Tournament because they would have had to allow every winter sport the right to compete in a non-NCAA tournament and they were not comfortable with doing that.

asdf

Believe it was around 34 schools that participated in the alternative championship (out of 110 schools).  So, yes alot of kids missed out.

Hopefully the decision makers see how unbelievably COVID safe wrestling has been thru all age groups.  Wrestling has the unique opportunity to lead all sports thru these crazy times.