Former Wisconsin wrestlers in the dance?

Started by woodald, March 16, 2017, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodald

Does anybody have a list of former WIAA wrestlers who are wrestling in the NCAA's?  I saw Tres Leon took 4th.  I always loved watching him battle.  I also see that Newton Smerchek made it for CMU.  He was a blast.  Crone won his 1st round match too.  Any others?

Hawkeye

Jacob Morrissey 174# Purdue. 3x State Champ from Oconto Falls.

leg turk

Ghetto

Smercheck had a sweet throw and pin. Will wrestle tomorrow.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mdbriggs

Of the 330 NCAA Qualifiers there were 4 former Wisconsin High School Wrestlers.  No All-Americans this year.

Dale Einerson

Crickets...

Where is the "Wisconsin can't win because we don't get the best in-state kids" discussion?  Said differently, as much as I am a fan of each of those home talents; I am...and as much as I understand and recognize Dieringer, Sueflohn, Askrens, others would have all made incredible impacts by wrestling for Bucky, we need to recruit successfully nationally because we won't win national championships without more of the best coming from other states. 

Argue against that if you want, however, understand the math is on my side.  State-wise 49-1.  Population-wise, 66-1. 

Barou

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 20, 2017, 04:08:53 PM

Where is the "Wisconsin can't win because we don't get the best in-state kids" discussion? 

In all my years on this forum I have never read that quote.  Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of college wrestling would have to know that WI could never compete at a high level with a roster even remotely close to homegrown recruits.  Some of us think since the amount of D1 talent coming out of WI pales in comparison to the top states (Pennsylvania, California, Ohio, New Jersey, etc) that there is an inherent advantage of keeping that talent in state.  10 national titles and 3 hodges have been earned by our native sons since '98.  Some might think it would have been pretty cool if one of those guys was wearing a Badger singlet. 
JHI Mafia

benaskren

Getting the best In State kids is a VITAL part of an in state school having success.

If UW had a better process to improve kids abilities once they got on campus then we would have more instate guys doing well on a yearly basis.  See Missouri(I am the most familiar with they success but you can find this same trend with other high level in state programs.) where in state walk ons become high level contributors.  Michael Chandler- never a State Champ becomes and AA, Mark Ellis 1x state champ becomes National Champ, Marcus Hoehn 1x state champ becomes big 12 champ, etc.

Now of course you have to recruit nationally, but getting the best kids in state is a MUST! If you need more evidence please research IA, OK, MN, etc. 
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Dale Einerson

Quote from: getyourpoints on March 20, 2017, 05:42:12 PM
Crickets...

Where is the "Wisconsin can't win because we don't get the best in-state kids" discussion?  Said differently, as much as I am a fan of each of those home talents; I am...and as much as I understand and recognize Dieringer, Sueflohn, Askrens, others would have all made incredible impacts by wrestling for Bucky, we need to recruit successfully nationally because we won't win national championships without more of the best coming from other states.  

Argue against that if you want, however, understand the math is on my side.  State-wise 49-1.  Population-wise, 66-1.  

Flo has a great break down of how many qualifiers came out of each state and ranked each state based on its population.
WI was around 20th give or take a few i cant remember, about the exact same as where we rank at Fargo. We are some where between the 16-20th best wrestling state I would think.
Dale,
I am not sure Bucky would have got the best out of our talented kids that left the state, those fellas received some top notch coaching and had loads of talented partners in the room.  

You may have a fair point regarding the improvement in talent level here, or elsewhere.  it is an unproveable thing...  Still, I believe my point kind of ties in with Flo's data and your input...would seem Wisconsin would need to draw more Mark Hall's and Bo's to get guys that start at the top and stay there...

In any NCAA sport, winning begets winning, and not winning at the highest level makes it tougher to build a program that turns out to be top 5 year in and year out.  Any sport...

Dale Einerson

Quote from: Barou on March 21, 2017, 09:10:22 AM

Where is the "Wisconsin can't win because we don't get the best in-state kids" discussion? 

In all my years on this forum I have never read that quote.  Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of college wrestling would have to know that WI could never compete at a high level with a roster even remotely close to homegrown recruits.  Some of us think since the amount of D1 talent coming out of WI pales in comparison to the top states (Pennsylvania, California, Ohio, New Jersey, etc) that there is an inherent advantage of keeping that talent in state.  10 national titles and 3 hodges have been earned by our native sons since '98.  Some might think it would have been pretty cool if one of those guys was wearing a Badger singlet. 

With all due respect Barou, direct quote, no.  But the premise, many, many times.  I read what Ben writes below and I will defer to his knowledge and inputs.  However, the AA level in NCAA wrestling is truly an elite group.  Wisconsin has some kids whose accomplishments are significant and unique.

I cheered just as hard for Ben to win it all, multiple times, as I would have if he were in a Wisconsin singlet.  I respect and appreciate whatever personal decisions he made regarding his choice of University.  I wish I could have cheered for him in a Wisconsin singlet, but any athlete out of high school has a host of reasons why they go where they go. 

Maybe the bottom line is Wisconsin definitely needs to create more reasons to come here...and top 5 isn't on the menu as a team next year.

Having said that, 13th is better than almost anybody projected out loud.  Maybe it is a good start, but with the two highest placers moving on, it seems it is a start, not a good start.

bigG

Might we also consider that many students look for academic programs that fit their goals. I know we thing WI is good at everything; and they are good at most things; but a Morrisey at Purdue, or another at ND state, or whatever might be a better fit for this or that kid. I don't care how great a wrestler you are, the sport means less than the knowledge career boost, academic bonds, etc.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dman

Quote from: bigG on March 23, 2017, 07:14:52 AM
Might we also consider that many students look for academic programs that fit their goals. I know we thing WI is good at everything; and they are good at most things; but a Morrisey at Purdue, or another at ND state, or whatever might be a better fit for this or that kid. I don't care how great a wrestler you are, the sport means less than the knowledge career boost, academic bonds, etc.

But you can say that about all kids and not just those from WI...thus, not sure what your point is G??  Not trying to be a dbag...truly trying to understand. 

bigG

My thing is that even PSU fans are frustrated; when they have cake and eat it , too, when just a few years ago, they were okay with humble pie. Now, Iowa fans are POed because PSU got another stud from them.

I'm saying it must be great to be in that spotlight; but the sport means diddly to the school and academics. Snyder could win four more golds and make the history books. Medberry could save a kid's life and have accomplished so much more than 10 Olympic golds.

You're not a douche. When  I have to write fast I tend not to make myself very clear.

When we combine great academics with opportunity to wrestle, we serve great college wrestlers. I think we offer that in WI; just not to the satisfaction that want to see us up there with PSU, OSU, tOSU, MN, MZZOU, IA, etc. We don't have the numbers; but we sure got the academics. But, when we lose a stud to a Purdue, it's often because of specialized academics. I don't even know if that's the case with Morrisey; but I hope he chose the best route for him.

Hawkeye

Wisconsin didn't make much effort when it came to Morrissey. Morrissey probably would have chosen Wisconsin over Purdue. Poor recruiting is pretty much what it was.

bigG

You wouldn't choose WI over PSU in Mark Hall's case. We're not as good wt wrestling. Our attraction is academic superiority and incredible programs; that's why the Chinese seem to choose UW or PSU. Not as good at wrestling; but puts us on a much bigger map.

I agree (with those who say) that Ben Askren would put us on a better wrestling map and put the chin in China. Still, we have academic cards to be played. Be nice to combine the Ben A and our smarts prowess. I'm sure even Ben would miss a few; but I bet he'd can some brutes.

Would you call Morrissey a blue chipper that would smack our other 174 guys; or a good wrestler that we just missed. Ricky R. can be a tough dude, and we do have some depth at 174.