Snow Shoes

Started by TomM, December 14, 2013, 10:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

I enjoy walking using snow shoes (when there is snow.)
Have a pair of Redfeather snow shoes.  Bought them about 7 years ago.  Have used them a lot. They were about $100.00.  Typical basic design.. although aluminum frames etc. The straps have to be buckled and hooked etc.  Kind of grunt work sometimes getting them on etc.  I think they are pretty long... not sure of length, but over 2 feet.  One issue is at least one of them always tends to 'pigeon toe' in while hiking... aggravating... some binding issue that is common with these according to online accounts.
< http://www.redfeather.com/ >(none of the current ones on this site look anything like mine.  I guess mine are old.

So, I met this guy who was wearing a 'small' pair of shoes.  He's a pretty big guy, so I inquired about the shoes.  He was happy to share....
The ones he has are Dion brand < http://www.dionsnowshoes.com/ >
I researched it... and set out to purchase a pair.
Buying from the Dion store/factory, the ones I wanted would cost me over $240.00 shipped. 
So I continued to look around... and found this company online < http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/ >
Cost me considerably less... and I can not wait to use them.  They are 'modular'... so you pick out your bindings, frame and cleats.
< http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/dion-snowshoes.html >

2013 Dion Snowshoes 132    dion-snowshoes-132-frame   1   63.95
Frame - Dion
Running-Fitness Snowshoes
Component
2013 Dion Quick Fit        dion-snowshoes-quick-fit-binding       
1   58.49  choose bindings size = Large - fits
Binding - Dion   feet up to size 14
Running-Racing Snowshoes
Component
2013 Dion Snowshoes Ice    dion-ice-cleats   1   40.49
Cleats Snow Shoe
Component
Subtotal  162.93
Coupon discount  -16.29 (use code snowshoe10)
Subtotal  146.64
Shipping    0.00
Total  146.64

Maybe you will find this interesting...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

jeast

My redfeather shoes are a bit newer I guess.  30 inch shoes and easy ratchet clamps get them on and off quite quickly and easily...although it always takes my breath away whenever I bend over to tie my shoes, or ratchet on my snow shoes...something about my belly...???

I had an issue for a time with the shoes going pigeon toe on me, but once I got the straps adjusted correctly, no more issue.

Keep me informed on those new shoes you got, I would like to know how you like them in deeper snow. 

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Houndhead

I have a pair of Yanes snowshoes I bought a couple winters ago. I think they are the 36" ones. I don't use them as much as I should, but they are nice walking in. I also have a pair of handmade ash snowshoes that I bought from an older gentleman that made them in Bessemer, MI. They have been great shoes, I just need some new binding for them. Will the modern bindings work on the older wooden shoes? We have plenty of snow on the ground for snowshoeing, probably 12-16 inches.

imnofish

I used to do some snowshoeing and I definitely enjoyed it.  When my knees starting getting older than the rest of me, I gave my snowshoes to my son.  There are now lighted snowshoe and cross country ski trails in the woods by our home, so I am sometimes tempted to borrow my old shoes.  Occasionally, he takes a trek through there and says it's a nice hike.  You guys who still have young knees get out there and enjoy the snowshoes this year, cause we are apparently going to have lots of snow.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

I had a seat cushion in one of my ladder stands that I didn't want to leave in the woods all winter. Today I put the snowshoes on and walked in to get it. Rather than remove the snowshoes, I climbed the 15' ladder stand with the snowshoes still attached. As I was walking back out, I was wondering to myself, how many people have ever climbed a ladder stand with snowshoes on?

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on December 23, 2013, 07:53:26 PM
I had a seat cushion in one of my ladder stands that I didn't want to leave in the woods all winter. Today I put the snowshoes on and walked in to get it. Rather than remove the snowshoes, I climbed the 15' ladder stand with the snowshoes still attached. As I was walking back out, I was wondering to myself, how many people have ever climbed a ladder stand with snowshoes on?
...without somehow breaking some bones.  :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on December 23, 2013, 07:59:10 PM

I weighed the risk/reward and decided I could do it without injuring myself. Coming down was the tricky part.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on December 23, 2013, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: imnofish on December 23, 2013, 07:59:10 PM

I weighed the risk/reward and decided I could do it without injuring myself. Coming down was the tricky part.

Coming down should have been easy, but the landing could have been rough.   ;)

TomM

My Dions are great!  Have a few walks in.
Have to check on the tree climbing certification on these though.  Maybe need a chain to wrap around the tree like those lumberjacks.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

Quote from: TomM on December 26, 2013, 11:04:54 PM
My Dions are great!  Have a few walks in.
Have to check on the tree climbing certification on these though.  Maybe need a chain to wrap around the tree like those lumberjacks.

I checked the shoes and the tree stand for warning labels and  I didn't see any so I figured it was good to go. ;D ;D