Wisconsin Wrestling League will Launch November 30th

Started by tw, September 29, 2020, 06:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw

We are thrilled to announce the launch of the Wisconsin Wrestling League (WWL) for the 2020-21 youth wrestling season in Wisconsin. The WWL will be operating a Folkstyle season starting on November 30th with a culminating Championship Series that will begin on February 7th.

"The WWL was formed to provide wrestling practice and competition opportunities to youth wrestlers in the state with the mission of ensuring all wrestlers who want to practice and compete will have a safe and reliable opportunity to do so," said Justin Tritz, Founder of the WWL. "Kids need structure and stability around the activities they set goals for themselves in, and we intend to provide both to kids who want to wrestle."

The WWL will consist of 3 divisions: K-2nd grade, 3rd-5th grade, and 6th-8th grade. Each team in the league will be scheduled to compete in 3 regular season events along with the Championship Series in February. Events will be managed by participating clubs throughout the state with facilities large enough to host. Weight classes for regular season meets will be established the night before competition and scheduled to ensure completion within a 2-hour time block.

Please use the following link to read more about the WWL and how you can become a part of it:
https://www.wisconsinwrestlingleague.com/PressRelease-2020-09-29.jsp

beastmode

Quote from: tw on September 29, 2020, 06:01:14 AM
We are thrilled to announce the launch of the Wisconsin Wrestling League (WWL) for the 2020-21 youth wrestling season in Wisconsin. The WWL will be operating a Folkstyle season starting on November 30th with a culminating Championship Series that will begin on February 7th.

"The WWL was formed to provide wrestling practice and competition opportunities to youth wrestlers in the state with the mission of ensuring all wrestlers who want to practice and compete will have a safe and reliable opportunity to do so," said Justin Tritz, Founder of the WWL. "Kids need structure and stability around the activities they set goals for themselves in, and we intend to provide both to kids who want to wrestle."

The WWL will consist of 3 divisions: K-2nd grade, 3rd-5th grade, and 6th-8th grade. Each team in the league will be scheduled to compete in 3 regular season events along with the Championship Series in February. Events will be managed by participating clubs throughout the state with facilities large enough to host. Weight classes for regular season meets will be established the night before competition and scheduled to ensure completion within a 2-hour time block.

Please use the following link to read more about the WWL and how you can become a part of it:
https://www.wisconsinwrestlingleague.com/PressRelease-2020-09-29.jsp

This is great! Thanks for providing another opportunity for wrestling during these crazy times.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

Houndhead

Will there be a high school division once the WIAA season is cancelled?

tw

I can't tell you how much I hope that doesn't happen, however, if it does I'm sure the same group of people trying to save a season for Middle School and Youth Wrestling would step up and try to provide opportunity for HS.  Hopefully stuff like this helps people realize that kids are going to compete one way or another so the schools may as well just continue to offer programs.

wrastle63

I was curious how this would work if middle school seasons still happen. Will this be replacing the WWF state championships or in addition to?

littleguy301

I believe the WWF is still planning a 3 day state championship at the dells. There will be no regionals to qualify.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on September 30, 2020, 07:08:13 AM

Holy batman, talk about being positive ???

tw

This is not meant to replace the WWF State Tournaments in anyway.  This is meant to provide practice and competition opportunities leading up to those events that will likely otherwise be lacking this year.  The WWL is a grade based season so by its general structure is already pretty different than the WWF series and bring together a different group of kids. 

Regarding Middle School programs, again I would love it if middle school programs were offered the same as they have been in the past.  I would personally have my kids wrestle their MS program over participating in this league.  The problem is MS programs are already cancelling.  Wisconsin Rapids, where my son goes to school, already moved to intramural wrestling which is practice only and only with the kids in there cohort.  This is happening all over Wisconsin and this league is meant to replace those lost opportunities for the kids who just want to wrestle.

Houndhead

Quote from: littleguy301 on September 30, 2020, 08:16:38 AM

I wish I could be optimistic, but I just don't see a bodily contact sport like wrestling not being cancelled. And having any high school athletes wear masks while competing may be the dumbest thing I have seen since the covid started.

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on September 30, 2020, 10:41:56 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on September 30, 2020, 08:16:38 AM

I wish I could be optimistic, but I just don't see a bodily contact sport like wrestling not being cancelled. And having any high school athletes wear masks while competing may be the dumbest thing I have seen since the covid started.

I would guess the WWF will be putting kn some tournaments along with other states.

Looks like the east coast states are going ahead with wrestling due to the summer success of wrestling. Wrestling has opened some eyes to with the amount of wrestling and the lack of heard cases out there.

Though the wiaa will probably do the opposite of what a normal person would think.

ramjet