Pre-Season Wisconsin Rankings

Started by TomM, November 20, 2015, 01:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricGuy

Quote from: CLC FAN on November 20, 2015, 05:29:35 PM
Quote from: Jeff Farrell on November 20, 2015, 04:55:02 PM
I'm not quite sure what the point of these rankings are, why do them?  Why not wait, if this is what they are going to be. 

And if the logic is as described, how is Stoughton, last years 2nd place team ...  Hudson is better than them?  Really?

As someone stated above, it looks like the team rankings were mistakenly taken from the "odds of winning team state" page.  I can't defend Hudson being ranked as a better team than Stoughton at this point in the season, but I will defend the notion that Hudson has a better shot to make it to Team State than Stoughton does.  Stoughton has to get through Milton to make it to Madison.  Hudson does not.  Since there is a very real possibility that Stoughton might not even make the Team State tournament, their odds of winning it all take a significant hit.

First I will say I love CLC's post!  Very well thought out and he is a good guy who puts in a ton of time into analyzing WI wrestling and I have plagiarized off his writings!

I can't let our Janesville neighbor to the south do all the defending of the purple.  Remember even using CLC's moneyball statistics, he has Stoughton in the finals! As he writes above - Hudson has a better shot to make it to Team state (don't need his moneyball statistics to know that, Hudson has maybe SPLASH to challenge that trip and SPLASH has some studs, but they don't put up the same challenge as Milton on depth alone).  Yet, using those same statistics Stoughton has a better chance to get past Milton than Hudson does getting past Special K  (again by using CLC's own numbers).  So depending how you dice CLC's numbers, you could make alternative arguments for teams and their rankings. 

Next just remember CLC's 2015 Team state participants predictions - he had just over 37% correct and that includes the give-me of the "special K" team.   If you take them out, he had 2 of the final 7 correct 28%

So lets sum up, I think it's safe to say few on this forum would go to Vegas with CLC and bet on his NFL, NBA, NCAA picks and this is the same statistician that has provided us the preseason team rankings.   ;D

The upside is the season is here and aren't these threads so much more enjoyable than spending pages and pages on whats wrong with WI HS wrestling, why do youth wrestlers drop out, whats wrong with the badgers, or why are the Packers trailing the Vikes in the division. Though us Vikings fans are pleasantly surprised with that.   ;D
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

DarkKnight

Electric Guy, I know where you are coming from, and I have Stoughton a clear #2 as well... but his moneyball statistics come from somewhere, and they are okay... but by no means do they mean that is how the season will end up.

Given initial lineups of Kaukauna and Stoughton, Stoughton could start out at even #1 in my opinion, if they have a line up perceived to be more talented than KK.

Perception is hard to judge, however. and Hudson is a tough team.

ElectricGuy

I'm just messing with CLC,  as for Hudson, I know they are loaded and would not be surprised to see them in the finals.   I actually thought last year they probably matched up the best against special K vs the field,  but they had a couple things go haywire in the semi's matchup that didn't help their cause, I think 220 was leading before getting pinned and maybe had K's 220 on back at one point (I could have that wrong) as mentioned their state 32lb was unavailable and 182 was up for grabs.  Lot's of points left on the table by Hudson.   

They probably have the deepest backend of any D1 lineup with Massie, Anderson, Schindler

As I said before, D1 team for the first time in a few years is wide open - not just between 2 teams, but between about 5 teams.  Should be a fun year. 

Jeff Farrell

Fact:  Stoughton beat Rapids to get to the championship match!

DarkKnight

But I did forget KK had Ty Lee out of the lineup, and now he is back in.

Ty Lee is certified for 126, while Trent Leon recertified at 120. who knows where they will start at, but them.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: DarkKnight on November 22, 2015, 10:20:34 AM
But I did forget KK had Ty Lee out of the lineup, and now he is back in.

Ty Lee is certified for 126, while Trent Leon recertified at 120. who knows where they will start at, but them.

He was in the lineup by team state last year

MarkK

I agree with that Doc.  I was pretty impressed with the Radio program from this year on high school football.  They gave all the scores because they are posted in a couple of spots. Then they had interviews with coaches on Friday nights concerning their big matchup.  They went around the state.  tough to do that in wrestling with multiple nights but it is not impossible and an online version of that would be welcomed by me.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

OneEyedFatMan

Two interesting, non-ranked heavyweights coming to mind are:

Brenden Lillo of Columbus D-2
and
Michael Dunlap of Madison East D-1

They will face each other in the dual on Dec. 10.

I would predict that, if they can stay healthy, both will show up at the Kohl Center in uniform.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

DarkKnight

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on November 24, 2015, 10:51:57 AM

and

I would predict that, if they can stay healthy, both will show up at the Kohl Center in uniform.

I like this prediction. What are their current grades?? they'll make some noise im sure

cheesemn

Williamson listed twice in D1-182 and D1-195

justafan

Was looking at that. Also @195, Ernst is ranked 4th and 15th. Jordan Festge - 14th, graduated and is wrestling for UW-Whitewater.

OneEyedFatMan

Both are seniors.

8)

Quote from: DarkKnight on November 24, 2015, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on November 24, 2015, 10:51:57 AM

and

I like this prediction. What are their current grades?? they'll make some noise im sure
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"