Mark Hall Official Visit

Started by wrestlingislife_189, September 07, 2015, 11:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

The wrestler from Pennsylvania  Chance Marsteller was an absolute no miss coming out of high school. Undefeated 4X Pennsylvania State Champ, was competing in college tournaments in high school and beating DI wrestlers.
I think he is like 3rd on the depth chart currently in college. No one is a sure thing. Now if I was a betting man I would wager that Mark Hall will have a very promising College career. But again there is no sure thing.

billymurphy

Wait, Chance sat behind Dieringer last year at 165. Jordan would have sat behind Dieringer too.
Chance tried to cut to 157 but that was too much of a cut for him.
Let Chance get past his redshirt year before calling him a failure.
Chance speaks very highly of Dieringer.  Was on the team for
three months before he got his second takedown on Dieringer in practice.

Ivan Stankowski

Never said he was a failure, Just trying to point out that there is no sure thing. If I recall he was beat in an open tournament by 2 of his teamates. Again never did I want it to come across that he was a failure, but the jury is still out that is for sure

billymurphy

Lots of sure things.  David Taylor, Dieringer, and the current world champion wrestling for Ohio State at 197 lbs.

CLC FAN

3 = lots?

And please, if you would link to the post where you (or anybody) said that those three would be studs while also saying that all the kids with similar credentials who didn't make it wouldn't.

Wrestling success in college is very hard to predict.  I liken it to MLB... In baseball you are drafting a kid based on what you think he will become while knowing in 99% of cases that he can't do what you want right now - hit major league pitchers (or survive against major league batters if he's a pitcher).  In wrestling, a coach is recruiting a kid on what he thinks he will become and he should know that the kid right now would not win many college matches.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: billymurphy on September 15, 2015, 08:30:31 PM
Lots of sure things.  David Taylor, Dieringer, and the current world champion wrestling for Ohio State at 197 lbs.

You mean Dake not taylor right?

billymurphy

If it was so hard to predict, then we would not have the same exact teams
fighting it out for the national title every single year would we?
How often does John Smith come into Wisconsin to recruit? Dieringer was a sure thing and
I assure you, it was not hard for me to predict that he had a shot of winning four NCAA titles.
Will Penn State finish in the top 2?  Yes, because Cael can judge talent.
Will Oklahoma State finish in the top 4?  Yes, they have Dieringer.

Why pretend it is so impossible to judge talent? Barry went after Thielke, who
is a fantastic greco wrestler.  However, greco guys have proven to be a huge risk.
This is not rocket science. 

CLC FAN

It seems like you and I are coming at this from pretty opposite viewpoints.  I'm saying that no matter how well you recruit, you have to develop that talent - because in nearly all cases, high school studs are not ready to win college matches the day they step in the room.  Most are nowhere near close.  You seem to be saying that the best programs are the best because they recruit the most sure thing, ready-made studs.  Since the very best programs likely do both, I would say that it would be hard to use evidence to prove one is a bigger factor than the other.  Minnesota, for example, does a very good job recruiting, but I also think they do a tremendous job developing what they get.  So does Iowa, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State.  What intrigues me as a Badger fan is what Edinboro, Cornell, and Missouri have done.  Do they recruit as well as the big boys?  I don't know, but it seems for darn sure they develop talent with the best of them.

lizard king

I believe I posted the recruiting compared to the finishes for those teams and you are right, with the exception of Cornell, who also gets high recruits and high finishes.

I just have to say JT was not just a great Greco wrestler.  He was outstanding in Folk also and is/was a good Badger.  You can talk all you want about bad recruiting or bad development, and I will agree that the Badgers need to improve, but I don't think JT is the example.