Best proformers at the 2017 state tournament

Started by getyourpoints, February 26, 2017, 04:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getyourpoints

After watching 3 days of great wrestling with excellent matches from the first round to the final two matches of the tournament I feel there were some performances that stood out a tick more then the rest.

1. Devin Bahr (D2 152) looked absolutely dominant giving up only 1pt in the tournament and that was off of a cut.

2. Tyler Dow (D1 160) best chain wrestler I saw at state.

3. Keaton Kluever (D1 HWT) Never quit wrestling, winning some very close matches and the best finish of the finals.

4. Keegan O'Toole (D1 120) Lived up to the youth hype, taking first as a freshman.

5. Kamren Bornbach (D3 220) Most impressive big man at the tournament.

6. Tyler "Truck" Hanna (D2 170) Took 3rd as a freshman at 170lbs, grown man weight.

7. Scott Cook (D2 138) just looked tough all weekend, he was in control of every period of the tournament.

8. Jaden Van Maanen (D1 145) He set the pace of every match, he was one of a handful that looked like a D1 NCAA wrestler.

9. Benji Peak  (D1 126) he had hammer after hammer beating a few hammers that beat him earlier in the season.

10. Brock Bergelin (D2 120) I say this with respect "He did his job".

HM
Brady Koontz for having the sportsmanship and humility of a true champion.

Steve Skarda for being the most consistent and controlling referee.

Stratford and Stoughton for being so deeply represented.  

bigG

Don't think I could top that save for a zillion young ladies and gentlemen acting in a manner we can sure be proud of. This was a big deal for our cheerleaders, too. It's an event like no other in HS sports.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

woody53

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 26, 2017, 04:18:46 PM
After watching 3 days of great wrestling with excellent matches from the first round to the final two matches of the tournament I feel there were some performances that stood out a tick more then the rest.

1. Devin Bahr (D2 152) looked absolutely dominant giving up only 1pt in the tournament and that was off of a cut.

2. Tyler Dow (D1 160) best chain wrestler I saw at state.

3. Keaton Kluever (D1 HWT) Never quit wrestling, winning some very close matches and the best finish of the finals.

4. Keegan O'Toole (D1 120) Lived up to the youth hype, taking first as a freshman.

5. Kamren Bornbach (D3 220) Most impressive big man at the tournament.

6. Tyler "Truck" Hanna (D2 170) Took 3rd as a freshman at 170lbs, grown man weight.

7. Scott Cook (D2 138) just looked tough all weekend, he was in control of every period of the tournament.

8. Jaden Van Maanen (D1 145) He set the pace of every match, he was one of a handful that looked like a D1 NCAA wrestler.

9. Benji Peak  (D1 126) he had hammer after hammer beating a few hammers that beat him earlier in the season.

10. Brock Bergelin (D2 120) I say this with respect "He did his job".

HM
Brady Koontz for having the sportsmanship and humility of a true champion.

Steve Skarda for being the most consistent and controlling referee.

Stratford and Stoughton for being so deeply represented.  
I don't think I could have made a better list being there for three days.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

ramjet

grasshopper

Quote from: ramjet on February 26, 2017, 04:55:50 PM
Yet you left off Joles ???????

I think that a Joles vs Bornbach rematch of last year's 182lb finals could have made for one of the better matches of the tournament. Heck maybe they should just set up an exhibition match to entertain some of us D3 wrestling fans  :D

Mustang Fan

Joles = Total Domination in every match at state!!!

NWIS1

Sigler, Ells. TF, TF, WBF vs Cheesdhead finalist.
Bam!

ramjet

Quote from: Mustang Fan on February 26, 2017, 06:55:32 PM

Absolutely true and the competition was tough.

maggie

how about the come back kid Shea from Milton, massive performance !    Best Match of the Finals SD !
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

falconfan

The Amherst kid made him wrestle, but Joles is a beast.

Houndhead

This is from Grasshopper on another thread.
Joles lost to Dalton Hahn of Reedsburg 4-3 at the Dells duals.  (When I looked up some of his other notable matches this season I seen that he Beat the D2 220 pound state champ by tech Fall at the dells, the D2 195 state champion 12-5 in St. Croix falls, and majored the D1 220 pound state runner up from Hudson at the BR/DSC tournament this season!)

Houndhead

Seven returning champs in D1 did not repeat. That means the competition was incredible.
I believe O'Toole was the only freshman to win a title in all 3 divisions. Medora was very, very close.
Schoenfuss, Stuhl, Liegel, and Kluever with incredible last second victories. I thought Liegel/Trepanier should have went to OT.
Jacob Siglar really flew under the radar this season. Had an incredible finals.
Stuhl, Schoenfuss, and Schoenherr stay on track for 4 titles. Bosman and Schlough also still alive for 4. 
The TV coverage was great. My only wish is to update the two matches that are not featured more often during the match.

madeyson

Koltin Grzybowski D3 106, took 3rd and sectionals and ended up state champ - defeated a previous state champ and someone who had beat him the week before on his way to the championship.

MRL_84

Quote from: madeyson on February 27, 2017, 09:08:46 AM
Koltin Grzybowski D3 106, took 3rd and sectionals and ended up state champ - defeated a previous state champ and someone who had beat him the week before on his way to the championship.

I had never watched him wrestle until state and was very impressed.  He came ready to wrestle for sure!

RollTide

Quote from: maggie on February 26, 2017, 07:45:53 PM
how about the come back kid Shea from Milton, massive performance !    Best Match of the Finals SD !
I don't think i would bet against a Shea in the finals.  Seems like that is the third one to win as an underdog in the finals.