good matches

Started by thequad, March 06, 2022, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

What were some really good matches that are worth going back to look at in the state tournament any round?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: thequad on March 06, 2022, 06:05:51 PM
What were some really good matches that are worth going back to look at in the state tournament any round?

I don't know, I'm gonna assume you're asking about the first couple rounds that you may have missed? Because the finals as a whole were just outstanding.

Best matches for me, HWT Vito Massa vs the stud from Stoughton Empey. Just an incredible game plan for the River Falls kid giving up nearly 100 pounds vs an athletic HWT.
I thought 132...IIRC, it was a kid named Aure vs Duchateau. 145 Ward vs Goebel. 152, that Milard from Homestead gave Messenbrink all he could handle. Imagine what that kid's going to look like in the next 2 years.

I said this on another thread, but it was just the best state Tournament I'd seen in a while. I hadn't gone to the last few, but there is just more talent at the HS level right now, these kids have more mat awareness, they let it rip. The 170-pound match wasn't super competitive, and you had a stud from Arrowhead in Mulvaney...who probably wins it at that weight more years, but he just ran into an absolute buzzsaw in the kid from Milton who Bono should have already made an offer to.

Just an all-around outstanding Tournament.

downtown

Vitro Massa was giving up 51 pounds to Griffin Empey not quite 100.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: downtown on March 06, 2022, 09:10:41 PM
Vitro Massa was giving up 51 pounds to Griffin Empey not quite 100.

Ahh..I though Empey was close to a full 285. And I know Massa had to actually drink water gain some weight so he could even Wrestle HWT as you can't wrestle up multiple weights, just the one...so if Empey was close to 250, fine. It doesn't really fundamentally change my point or how the match went.

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 06, 2022, 08:15:58 PM

I don't know, I'm gonna assume you're asking about the first couple rounds that you may have missed? Because the finals as a whole were just outstanding.

Best matches for me, HWT Vito Massa vs the stud from Stoughton Empey. Just an incredible game plan for the River Falls kid giving up nearly 100 pounds vs an athletic HWT.
I thought 132...IIRC, it was a kid named Aure vs Duchateau. 145 Ward vs Goebel. 152, that Milard from Homestead gave Messenbrink all he could handle. Imagine what that kid's going to look like in the next 2 years.

I said this on another thread, but it was just the best state Tournament I'd seen in a while. I hadn't gone to the last few, but there is just more talent at the HS level right now, these kids have more mat awareness, they let it rip. The 170-pound match wasn't super competitive, and you had a stud from Arrowhead in Mulvaney...who probably wins it at that weight more years, but he just ran into an absolute buzzsaw in the kid from Milton who Bono should have already made an offer to.

Only a sophomore so not recruitable until June 15th, 2022 ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quad, on the forum Drew Best wrote a nice top 10 things at state and list several matches to watch. Might want to check that out.

thequad

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 08, 2022, 09:03:57 AM
Quad, on the forum Drew Best wrote a nice top 10 things at state and list several matches to watch. Might want to check that out.
Yes ,I read that. I am just wondering about other matches.
I am just looking for good matches to watch.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

littleguy301

Quote from: thequad on March 08, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 08, 2022, 09:03:57 AM
Yes ,I read that. I am just wondering about other matches.
I am just looking for good matches to watch.

Not sure as to what your taste is but here is another situation you can do. Randomly pick a bracket and just start clicking away and maybe you find a great match to watch. I actually did that last weekend and watched a couple of really good matches I may not have watches.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 08, 2022, 09:02:26 AM

Unless they changed it, you can make an offer to a kid when he's 9 years old(which was probably the time to offer Sinclair). They obviously can't sign until the early signing period before their Jr years, but Bono should already been talking to him. Talking about how he can Wrestle close to home and help get Wisconsin to the next level.

What we need is that first big kid to sign...and then in many sports, that's your best recruiter for the rest of the kids in his class!

But I take your point. Can't officially sign him until that early signing period. Bono should be at his door, Reader should be at Millard's and...IDK, get Gross and Lee Kemp to go up to Amery and get Hopke on the first day of that early signing period! Use some of those UW Legends...and who better than the legend of all UW Legends! I'm sure he'd be willing to help!

I know we don't love Basketball on this forum, but lets get some good old fashion(but legal) collusion going on here! Sinclair, Millard, Clark, Peters, Hopkey, Empey, Duchateau, Stoeffel, Aure, Spurley...all the other young studs...I'll provide the Banana Boats(they may need to be a little bigger, but we'll figure it out)...

bigoil

LG is right. Different rules for different sports. You may see a girls basketball recruit commit in 8th or 9th grade. This is not legal in wrestling 6/15 of the summer before JR year.

DocWrestling

NCAA Division 1 wrestling recruiting rules
NCAA Division 1 sports must adhere to the most restrictive set of rules:

Any time: College coaches can send recruits general materials, such as questionnaires, camp information, non-athletic information about the school and materials published by the NCAA.

June 15 after sophomore year: Student-athletes can receive personal contact and recruiting materials. Coaches can call athletes, send text messages, direct messages and emails, as well as make verbal offers.

August 1 before junior year: Recruits can begin taking unofficial visits and official visits to schools. Student-athletes can take one official visit per school and are limited to five total official visits. For example, a wrestling recruit might take three official visits in the fall of junior year, and then two in the spring. Additionally, wrestling coaches can also conduct off-campus contact with recruits.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 09, 2022, 04:52:38 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 08, 2022, 09:02:26 AM

Unless they changed it, you can make an offer to a kid when he's 9 years old(which was probably the time to offer Sinclair). They obviously can't sign until the early signing period before their Jr years, but Bono should already been talking to him. Talking about how he can Wrestle close to home and help get Wisconsin to the next level.

What we need is that first big kid to sign...and then in many sports, that's your best recruiter for the rest of the kids in his class!

But I take your point. Can't officially sign him until that early signing period. Bono should be at his door, Reader should be at Millard's and...IDK, get Gross and Lee Kemp to go up to Amery and get Hopke on the first day of that early signing period! Use some of those UW Legends...and who better than the legend of all UW Legends! I'm sure he'd be willing to help!

I know we don't love Basketball on this forum, but lets get some good old fashion(but legal) collusion going on here! Sinclair, Millard, Clark, Peters, Hopkey, Empey, Duchateau, Stoeffel, Aure, Spurley...all the other young studs...I'll provide the Banana Boats(they may need to be a little bigger, but we'll figure it out)...

Not in wrestling you cannt do such. Like it got posted there s rules and they differ from sport to sport. It is so important until June 15th to have club coaches on board with the college program. Also having the college coaches on board with the national team and be seen at the Fargo camps and work with the kids. A good RTC is critical to get kids into the room and roll.

I certainly hope the badgers have these sophomores on speed dial come June 15th!

npope

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 08, 2022, 01:22:16 PM
... Randomly pick a bracket and just start clicking away and maybe you find a great match to watch. I actually did that last weekend and watched a couple of really good matches I may not have watches.

Where can one find these matches online?

Thanks.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Armdrag

Tonsor vs Skebba 113 DI semi finals

Redeemer

Quote from: Armdrag on March 09, 2022, 12:00:37 PM
Tonsor vs Skebba 113 DI semi finals

This a good suggestion. People shouldn't be being mean to the Quad.

On Empey, do people think he is D1 worthy?? He may be, but he hasn't impressed me on that scale. I can be wrong though.