WI Wt. Classes - (MN dropping weight classes)

Started by Handles II, February 02, 2023, 02:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vir Fortis

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 08, 2023, 09:00:35 PMAlso athletes have grown size wise over the past 30 years. Just look at the size of NFL and NBA players now.

Example in 1981 the Washington team had a line called the hogs that averaged 281 which was 15 pounds heavier than the next line. 40 years latter that same line would be 30 pounds lighter than the smallest line in the NFL.

Same time period the NBA had a dozen 7 footers and now over 100 7 footers.

Simply athletes are getting bigger.

MNbadger take out JHI and tell me how many weight classes in the 106 to 120 range are high schoolers in MN.

It really is amazing. Forrest Gregg came to Green Bay at 6'2 and ~210. Eventually the HOF OL got ALL the way up to...245! The "best player Vince Lombardi ever coached," was a 245 LB OL. That's an undersized edge rusher in the modern NFL. Heck, there are literally safeties who are close to that size coming out this year. JL Skinner, 6'4 225 LB legit Safety. Darrell Washington, 6'7 275 LB TE from UGA who's athletic(wouldn't mind snatching him in the 2nd round...not to mix threads).

Speaking of which, interesting little anecdote, Teddy Kennedy at ~6'2 190, was so physically impressive, our very own
Packers tried to recruit him to play Pro-ball. I don't recall why he didn't. I'm sure Joe Sr's obsessive control of his Son's lives probably was the main reason, professional football being beneath a Kennedy at the time...but I digress.

You've got guys like Caleb Jones now, 6'9, 370 pounds and he can move. He would have been drafted Day 2 if he didn't get up over 400 pounds in College.

And it's not like the 90s when most of these OL were just fat. These guys as often as not are pretty lean. Lane Johnson being an example. 6'6 315 and he runs a 4.72. Yet...somehow NOT the most impressive linemen on the Eagles. They've got a guy who's 6'6 340+ and runs a 4.70 40 with a 32 in vertical. Our own Wyatt was a physical freak in his own right.

It's mind boggling.

Anyway, back to Wrestling. Anyone catch Micah Parsons interview at the Iowa vs Penn State meet? The reason he cited for quitting was his weight kept jumping so much each year and he didn't want to have to cut weight. I'm guessing by next year he'll have 5 years and 160M reasons why he made the right call.

Luke Fickell, a Wrestling fanatic...now coaching the Badgers and bringing attention to the program I genuinely never thought possible, I wonder if we won't see more Football players Wrestling. And what's the one reason Football players don't like Wrestling? Who wants to spend all year lifting and adding weight so they can then cut from 200 to 182(or whatever)? Hopefully we can fill in those upper weights with more athletes coming out for the sport.

Hopefully
Fickell will convince the stubborn Football coaches who stupidly DON'T encourage Wrestling to change how they do things.

I don't know though...this is an imperfect system. We won't know for a few years if these are the right moves. But I'm done with bickering. We can't do anything about it anyway.

TomM

It's the thread you know you needed: 12 weights (An oldy, but a goody... by Ghetto)

https://forum.wiwrestling.com/index.php?topic=56002.0
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MatScoutWillie

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove