WIAA 2023 Girls State

Started by Ghetto, November 02, 2022, 03:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: Numbers on November 11, 2022, 12:17:36 PMIn my opinion this should be handled like youth state.  If there are open spots in the state bracket, there should be a process to fill them.

Last year the girls state brackets were full and a good look.  Sounds like this year will be a big step backwards. 

The idea of girls with a 15% win percentage going to state while girls over 50%/60% win percentage stay at home with multiple byes in a state bracket is nuts.  The first couple years with individual qualifying sectionals should have extra considerations to showcase the high level of girls wrestling in the state.

My two cents.

This happens in boys competition with regionals and sectionals.

Numbers

Quote from: wrastle63 on November 11, 2022, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: Numbers on November 11, 2022, 12:17:36 PMIn my opinion this should be handled like youth state.  If there are open spots in the state bracket, there should be a process to fill them.

Last year the girls state brackets were full and a good look.  Sounds like this year will be a big step backwards. 

The idea of girls with a 15% win percentage going to state while girls over 50%/60% win percentage stay at home with multiple byes in a state bracket is nuts.  The first couple years with individual qualifying sectionals should have extra considerations to showcase the high level of girls wrestling in the state.

My two cents.

This happens in boys competition with regionals and sectionals.

But there are not byes in the state boys brackets.  I understand some girls at state may have a low win percentage.  I struggle with byes.  There should be a procedure to replace the state tournament byes with the next most qualified wrestler based on sectional placement.

Redeemer

Quote from: wrastle63 on November 10, 2022, 09:49:50 AM
Quote from: Redeemer on November 08, 2022, 04:44:28 PM
Quote from: Dizzy on November 08, 2022, 08:23:52 AMI know it would be the exception but I think they could do it for a year or two until numbers get up. Just look at the amount of entries to fill up the 16 person bracket. If Sectional A has 12 girls at 132 then the top 3 advance to state. If Sectional B has 3 girls at 132 then only 1 advances and so on

That's a good idea. Also, add the high-rated girls... if one sectional has the 3 top returning state placewinners from a year ago, add them to the Kohl Center mats and don't exclude them, etc. Give us fans what we want and give the girls what they deserve.
Do they do that for the boys? There are high rated boys every year who don't make it.

Of course there are top boys who get the boot at a stacked sectional weight. This is fixable to a degree.