WIAA Individual State Seeding

Started by TheDude308, February 13, 2022, 03:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude308

I know this was discussed in a different thread but I can't find it.  What is the criteria that is going to be used to seed the individual state tournament in 2022?  Is it seeded 1-16?

bud

I understand how the top 4 will be seeded in D-2 and D-3, receiving first round bye.s. How will the 5th - 12th fit into the bracket, top or bottom???? 5vs12, 6vs11 ect.???? Anyone know for sure?
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

doublegotcha

At the individual state tournament, seeding criteria will be used for all competitors. Trackwrestling will seed all 16 wrestlers in D1
and seed all 12 wrestlers in D2 and D3 at the Individual State Tournament using the following criteria:
(1) Head-to-head competition
(2) Competition against common opponents
(3) Returning state champion
(4) Returning second or third place finisher in previous season
(5) Returning fourth through sixth place finisher from previous season
(6) Sectional champion
(7) Returning state qualifier in previous season
(8) Winning percentage in the current season

tigerking

Quote from: bud on February 13, 2022, 04:12:33 PM
I understand how the top 4 will be seeded in D-2 and D-3, receiving first round bye.s. How will the 5th - 12th fit into the bracket, top or bottom???? 5vs12, 6vs11 ect.???? Anyone know for sure?

You can possibly win your sectionals and not get a bye. They will be seeding 1-12. Not the top 4 separately. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

WaupuWrestling

Does anyone know for sure if medical or injury forfeits will count against state seeding?

memyselfandi

They shouldn't. In order to take a loss you have to report. With a forfeit the kid did not report, and does not take a loss. An injury default would count as a loss. If you medical forfeit out, there should be no more losses.

FinalWord

Any guesses when seeded pairings are released to public?
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

padre

If the seeding turns out anything like how girls basketball did there is going to be a lot of complaints.

Rat

WHAT complaining about seedings and if Bill and Joe should be wrestling in the quarters or the finals. Not on this forum. ::) ::)

Redeemer

Complaining with the objective seeding protocol is much preferred to the complaining with the old method  8)

I'm sure there will be some situations where the seedings may be "wrong" but we'll go with it.

PAUL

There will be some complaints of course, but I think most people will agree it's a big step in the right direction.  It will also lend some real
'juice" to pre-tourney discussions, early round upsets and ideally the "best" matchups in most brackets on Friday and Saturday nights. 

DocWrestling

I can tell you the girls basketball players sure liked the videos and how the brackets were announced like the NCAA tournament.  Better than a coach or AD tweeting it out.  Some had watch parties.

It would be cool if they did this for wrestling
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

BPfan

Quote from: memyselfandi on February 14, 2022, 11:02:41 AM
They shouldn't. In order to take a loss you have to report. With a forfeit the kid did not report, and does not take a loss. An injury default would count as a loss. If you medical forfeit out, there should be no more losses.

I am hoping that this will not happen, but I will ask anyways.  Who gets the edge seeding wise if there is a medical forfeit in the sectional finals?

Redeemer

Quote from: bud on February 13, 2022, 04:12:33 PM

5 vs 12, etc, 5 vs 4 in the quarterfinals as long as 5 wins, etc... but some "upsets" will be brewing.

Ghetto

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 14, 2022, 06:57:59 PM
I can tell you the girls basketball players sure liked the videos and how the brackets were announced like the NCAA tournament.  Better than a coach or AD tweeting it out.  Some had watch parties.

It would be cool if they did this for wrestling

I tweeted that directly at the WIAA when I saw the girls seeding. They responded that this was the first year for girls seeding. When I responded that this was also the first year for wrestling, I got no response.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove