WIAA To Vote On NIL Deals For High School Athletes

Started by VQOriginal, April 20, 2024, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Quote from: MNbadger on April 24, 2024, 10:20:56 AM
Quote from: MatScoutWillie on April 22, 2024, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 22, 2024, 10:13:33 AM
Quote from: factfinder on April 21, 2024, 10:53:29 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 20, 2024, 10:01:15 PMIt's the dang apocalypse.

High school kids getting NIL money. I pray there's some semblance of order to it all.
Most states have had it before the NCAA brought it in.
It typically only end up to the top Nike athletes in basketball and football.
Tennis and Golf seem to benefit as well, but in wrestling it more uncommon outside of Basset.

I now remember someone telling me about this...

NIL, though a great idea in theory, has wreaked havoc on college athletics. At least in Wisconsin (for HS kids), if they kept things the same as the status quo, a student couldn't transfer after his freshman year without losing a year of eligibility. Right? I seem to remember that once you set foot in a school during your sophomore year, you would have to physically move districts to be eligible to compete.

Correct.  Transfer rules still apply. 
I don't know how things go in Wisconsin but in MN the transfer rule means very little.  It is easily gotten around and the MSHSL has no interest in investigating anything. 

I don't know how things are right now in this moment, but we had a kid a few years ago that went to school one day as a sophomore at his former school and had to wrestle JV the entire year, despite moving away from an extremely difficult home situation. Appeals were not granted. So maybe the WIAA rule still has some teeth.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

crossface21

VQOriginal

No student athlete can recieve any type of compensation based on their affiliation to school or sport. So, essentially, no. I am all for the NIL. If the WIAA plays it right the students can only benefit from it. If the argument of "only the good kids will get it" comes up, I say, then get better and you'll get a deal. Just because one athlete isn't as good, doesn't mean the others that are that good, shouldn't be able to reap the rewards.

MatScoutWillie

inappropriate term01 they didn't pass this.  But, not surprised at all.  Give me one reason not to pass this please.  And, it's not like college.  College is a disaster.  I'm coming from the position of letting kids make some cash doing camps, selling t shirts and inappropriate term5 like that.  A lot of these kids put in more time wrestling than a lot of people do at work.  Let the kids make some money!  Oh and before you say, get a job, a lot of them do that too.   

Lets hope the WIAA adopts the new rules that were just passed.  Probably not though. 

Send it!

MCB

I believe it was the AD from Cedarburg (I may have this wrong) who stated something to the effect that if the WIAA's members don't be proactive about this and quickly any kid and their family can file a suit (just like what happened to the NCAA) and have this policy in effect be dictated by the government.

That AD is smart (again if it wasn't Cedarburg, I apologize). And someone remind what is WIAA's win/loss record when they get taken to court? I am pretty sure they are batting under the Mendoza line.

My response to that is...giddy up!