NCAA should change to freestyle

Started by Whizzersoldman, April 04, 2024, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizzersoldman

I went to the NCAA div I championships. KC was a great host but once is enough for me. Got to see my hometown favorite Eric Barnett for the last time. Lot of Wisconsin talent on display. For me the talent level has passed the style of wrestling. What seems like a for sure single leg take down turns into a time wasting stalemate. Kids flop to there back and grab the opponents leg and turn it into a stalemate. Then the brick issue (they should call them nap pillows) drives me crazy. You have 2 refs let them make the calls. Endurance, stamina, and the well conditioned athlete are getting to be less important. Freestyle and having 2 out of 3 refs agree on a call makes for a fun fast pace match. I know they do throw a nap pillow out once in a while but this seams less frequent.
Be honest 22 minutes for one match is ridicules.

Ghetto

I 100 percent agree. Get in trouble- dive to an ankle and hold on. Subsequent 45 second scramble that ends in a stalemate.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Numbers

I think a 1 point step out and 1 point lost challenge would be great.

We do not need college laces.

Ghetto

Quote from: Numbers on April 04, 2024, 01:09:26 PMI think a 1 point step out and 1 point lost challenge would be great.

We do not need college laces.
[/quote

College laces? Like I get leg laced into the moon and I'm done? Or college shoe laces?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

I agree.  It sucks when two wrestlers just hang on and then look at ref for a stalemate and do-over.

If you are the first agressor in any stalemate from the neutral position you should be given one point.  I wouldn't even mind 2 points.

The ref must award 1 point to the more aggressive wrestler(initiated the action) in ANY stalemate.  Two points for a stalemate from the neutral position.  Initiates action and everyone loves higher scores.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Wis-Mallard

There are plenty of low scoring matches at the senior level in freestyle. The NCAA wrestlers and coaches would adjust. Many of the junior level kids in the US just let it fly since they really don't have a refined freestyle strategy. Going to freestyle at NCAAs is not going to generate crazy level scoring like Fargo junior freestyle.

I do like some form of penalty for dive rolls in neutral position resulting in stalemate. The neutral danger rule is not currently stopping this.

Passivity is a plus for freestyle. Traditional stalling is rarely called in college.

I think step out from neutral would help folk style wrestling.

The chest wrap/double leg exchanges are a good example of why I like folkstyle. I shoot a double you stop me for a bit and possibly change my direction and then throw me through. I maintain control of legs and flip up to secure control. This is 1-4 for me in freestyle and 3-0 me in college wrestling.

I prefer mat wrestling in folkstyle. Some find it boring, but I prefer folkstyle turns over guts and leg laces.

I like both styles and think we should keep NCAAs as folkstyle.

Chuck

Be interesting to hear Shane Sparks thoughts on if ncaa should switch to freestyle. No one gets more excited over a good strong mat return.

Whizzersoldman

Quote from: Chuck on April 06, 2024, 08:07:52 AMBe interesting to hear Shane Sparks thoughts on if ncaa should switch to freestyle. No one gets more excited over a good strong mat retu
I would love to hear more options on this. The points for the aggressor should be a serious consideration. Anything that helps scoring and makes the sport more enjoyable to the TV audience. I don't believe the novelist viewer gets excited about watching a ref on the phone with someone upstairs making a decision. Growing viewership and showcasing the best of the best talent we have developed should be a top priority.
I do believe there are changes that could be made.

DocWrestling

Stalemate techniques are being tought as they should be.  There are a lot more stalemates now than there were years ago.

I love the 3 point takedown but I think it might be suppressing some scrambles where both wrestlers do not want to risk it and settle for the stalemate

Whizzersoldman

I like fast pace, high scoring, aggressive, wrestling. Seeing 2 guys go at it full blast, at a pace where conditioning, endurance, and desire are going to determine the winner. I believe this style would help grow interest in watching wrestling live or on TV. What we have now is most matches wrestlers wrestle cautious. They don't want to make a mistake and if they do, they're trained to look for a stalemate. Boring!!!!!!
Let's hope the NCAA makes improvements to the pace of wrestling. They work at making it more desirable to the TV audience. I suggest they consider freestyle. 

hammer

Quote from: Whizzersoldman on April 07, 2024, 02:37:51 PMI like fast pace, high scoring, aggressive, wrestling. Seeing 2 guys go at it full blast, at a pace where conditioning, endurance, and desire are going to determine the winner. I believe this style would help grow interest in watching wrestling live or on TV. What we have now is most matches wrestlers wrestle cautious. They don't want to make a mistake and if they do, they're trained to look for a stalemate. Boring!!!!!!
Let's hope the NCAA makes improvements to the pace of wrestling. They work at making it more desirable to the TV audience. I suggest they consider freestyle. 

Name me a freestyle event that draws in 15k plus in college or even high school. Viewership is doing good but if you make college wrestling like freestyle your going to get the causal fan really confused. D2 and D3 seemed to have more points scored at the edge of the mat in the form of stalling and fleeing the mat. Same goes for on the mat wrestling in those 2 divisions. Maybe the NCAA is trying it out before they move it into the D1 competition.

DocWrestling

Stalemates are stalling!  Maybe instead of giving a point to the aggressor then give the non-agressor in stalemate a stalling call.  Funny how you can't hang on to a leg for 5 seconds on top but you can clinch and hold anything in neutral position

factfinder

Not a single mention of all the WI natives wrestling at the last chance today???
Such a weak forum.

hammer

Quote from: factfinder on April 07, 2024, 07:27:19 PMNot a single mention of all the WI natives wrestling at the last chance today???
Such a weak forum.

I was hoping to hear something about any Wisconsin native in the last chance. Everyone wants to talk the failure of the Badger program and by pass the great success of Wisconsin natives.