Competitive Balance

Started by bulldog24, February 14, 2024, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army Ant

I don't like it. It makes the lower divisions look more like "JV." What does a D3 state championship mean when the WIAA purposely moved the best teams up to higher divisions? That being said, I really don't like the fact that we have multiple divisions in wrestling, even though I understand why we do it.

dforsythe

Quote from: Scramble_king on February 15, 2024, 07:51:02 AMDo girls teams switch sectional to where the boys team goes, if the boys go up a division?

If they follow what they did in cross country, the girls' teams will stay in the current place. However, since there is only 1 division for girls' the WIAA may view it differently.

beastmode

I think wrestling is just a casualty of a bigger picture for mainly other more mainstream sports like football and basketball. Private schools in larger cities can draw student athletes to their program due to their continued success, yet still be in a lower division based on their enrollment. In that regard, I agree with it. With wrestling, teams like Fenimore and Stratford who have had continued success merely based on their program and not their geographic location get penalized. We've always said in our household, success is earned, not given.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

Army Ant

Quote from: beastmode on February 15, 2024, 08:48:49 AMI think wrestling is just a casualty of a bigger picture for mainly other more mainstream sports like football and basketball. Private schools in larger cities can draw student athletes to their program due to their continued success, yet still be in a lower division based on their enrollment. In that regard, I agree with it. With wrestling, teams like Fenimore and Stratford who have had continued success merely based on their program and not their geographic location get penalized. We've always said in our household, success is earned, not given.

I don't know if Fennimore is really going to see it as a penalty. They are close to being the best team in the state overall, if they aren't there. The people that get hurt the most are the other teams left behind in d3, who are now going to be striving for watered down titles.

Houndhead

I get the team aspect of moving up, but it seems very unfair for individual. My brother could be a 2 time champ in D3, but I only won one title, but it was in D2. My brother would have bragging rights for the rest of our lives. Doesn't seem right. Kids only have 4 years. Is it fair to spend 3 years in a higher division because kids that are now out of school were successful?

rankwizard

Quote from: Houndhead on February 16, 2024, 06:24:35 AMI get the team aspect of moving up, but it seems very unfair for individual. My brother could be a 2 time champ in D3, but I only won one title, but it was in D2. My brother would have bragging rights for the rest of our lives. Doesn't seem right. Kids only have 4 years. Is it fair to spend 3 years in a higher division because kids that are now out of school were successful?

I don't like it because you are adding depth to D1 (which is already the deepest division) and D1 kids will quit trying if they are too much of an underdog. I know some kids are already looking forward to tomorrow being done because their sectional bracket is a bit loaded in comparison to another sectional's bracket, and they've already lost several times this year to those guys. 

On the flip side, some kids in D3 will be happier that they lost a stud or two that would normally be in front of him on the "depth chart".

BPfan

I know teams have to average so many "points" over a three year period, but what is the break down of that? I know I have seen it before but I can not find it.

bulldog24

Quote from: BPfan on February 16, 2024, 10:30:50 AMI know teams have to average so many "points" over a three year period, but what is the break down of that? I know I have seen it before but I can not find it.

Sectional Final: 1 point
Sectional Champ: 2 points
State Finals: 3 points
State Champ: 4 points

hornbuckleb

This is the result of the 2% rule that has swept through our society.  Since the private schools have had higher success in some of the more main stream sports, the institution feels they need to apply a new rule to the entire population instead of addressing the issue directly.

Wis-Mallard

Some of the best teams have transfers and some just have the kids from their school  district. Competitive balance was needed for private and public schools loading up with best kids in area. We know some of best wrestling teams in WI have had transfers so I'm not sure why some people are upset. There will still be plenty of good wrestlers in D2 and D3.

rankwizard

Quote from: rmk12175 on February 14, 2024, 02:01:04 PMLC might struggle in D1 next year. Unless of course, they're bringing in a bunch of studs in their freshman class. First, they're graduating quite a few wrestlers. Secondly, they sent 3 wrestlers to the challenge series finals.

Lux-Casco will be fine next year-- just not as dominant as they were this past year. I feel they will likely be placed with Kaukauna, Hortonville and Bay Port for sectionals... I am kinda curious how they're drawing that up currently.

LC beat KK at Pulaski high school tourney and LC won the middle conference tournament over KK-- plus they had some good backups on their high school team.

KK is ahead of the curve with recruiting and development of wrestlers though.

Handles II

I'm not sure if this will be a huge factor in the future, word I've been getting is wrestling will be going to two divisions for boys.

rankwizard

Quote from: Handles II on April 12, 2024, 09:42:19 PMI'm not sure if this will be a huge factor in the future, word I've been getting is wrestling will be going to two divisions for boys.

I'd be sad about that for awhile, they better not do that. football and other sports get 6 or 7 divisions.

rankwizard

More kids would quit wrestling actually that way

Chris Hansen

[quote link=msg=681279 date=1712976139]
I'm not sure if this will be a huge factor in the future, word I've been getting is wrestling will be going to two divisions for boys.
[/quote]

That is quality content right there but keep in mind that what is funny to you and I can be taken as the truth by the millennials........