Reflections on The Past Couple of Years

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, March 26, 2014, 12:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

billymurphy

This was for 2015-2016 lineup. McCall will be gone. Check out these guys predictions for next year.  Only two Badgers on it?
125:

1. Jesse Delgado, Illinois
2. Nahshon Garrett, Cornell
3. Nicholas Megaludis, Penn State
4. Dylan Peters, Northern Iowa
5. Thomas Gilman, Iowa
6. Josh Martinez, Air Force
7. Tyler Cox, Wyoming
8. Edward Klimara, Oklahoma State

133:

1. A.J. Schopp, Edinboro
2. Cory Clark, Iowa
3. Mason Beckman, Lehigh
4. Cody Brewer, Oklahoma
5. Geoffrey Alexander, Maryland
6. Zane Richards, Illinois
7. Rosario Bruno, Michigan
8. Kevin Norstrem, Virginia Tech

141:

1. Mitchell Port, Edinboro
2. Zain Retherford, Penn State
3. Evan Henderson, North Carolina
4. Stephen Dutton, Michigan
5. Zach Horan, Central Michigan
6. Christopher Dardanes, Minnesota
7. Anthony Abidin, Nebraska
8. Chris Mecate, Old Dominion

149:

1. Logan Stieber, Ohio State
2. Devin Carter, Virginia Tech
3. David Habat, Edinboro
4. Brandon Sorensen, Iowa
5. Nick Dardanes, Minnesota
6. Christopher Villalonga, Cornell
7. Jake Sueflohn, Nebraska
8. Augustus Sako, Nebraska

157:

1. James Green, Nebraska
2. Dylan Ness, Minnesota
3. Drake Houdashelt, Missouri
4. Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern
5. Isaac Jordan, Wisconsin
6. Hunter Stieber, Ohio State
7. Brian Realbuto, Cornell
8. Isaiah Martinez, Illinois

165:

1. Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State
2. Ian Miller, Kent State
3. Bo Jordan, Ohio State
4. Nick Moore, Iowa
5. Nicholas Sulzer, Virginia
6. Taylor Walsh, Indiana
7. Corey Mock, Chattanooga
8. Taylor Massa, Michigan

174:

1. Robert Kokesh, Nebraska
2. Mathew Brown, Penn State
3. Logan Storley, Minnesota
4. Michael Evans, Iowa
5. Mathew Miller, Navy
6. Tyler Wilps, Pittsburgh
7. Kyle Crutchmer, Oklahoma State
8. Michael Moreno, Iowa State

184:

1. Max Thomusseit, Pittsburgh
2. Sam Brooks, Iowa
3. Nathaniel Brown, Lehigh
4. Timothy Dudley, Nebraska
5. Brett Pfarr, Minnesota
6. Lawrence Thomas, Penn
7. Ophir Bernstein, Brown
8. Kenny Courts, Ohio State

197:

1. Gabriel Dean, Cornell
2. Scott Schiller, Minnesota
3. Morgan McIntosh, Penn State
4. J'Den Cox, Missouri
5. Lelund Weatherspoon, Iowa State
6. Taylor Meeks, Oregon State
7. Nathan Burak, Iowa
8. Braden Atwood, Purdue

285:

1. Nick Gwiazdowski, North Carolina State
2. Michael McMullan, Northwestern
3. Kyle Colling, Arizona State
4. Bobby Telford, Iowa
5. Adam Coon, Michigan
6. Kyven Gadson, Iowa State
7. Connor Medbery, Wisconsin
8. Austin Marsden, Oklahoma State

stbird

Whoever put those together doesn't really have a clue.

Kodonnelllaw

Quote from: billymurphy on March 30, 2014, 11:21:40 PM
This was a freshman dominated team. You must see that this team has the potential to be very good but it will not happen immediately.
This team will be good in two years but is not quite there yet.  Wait until Jordan and Taylor and Lubeck are juniors and Medbery is a senior.  This team in two years
should finish top ten at nationals.  I agree with npope for next year though, likely outside top 10 at nationals.  Jordan will finish top 4 next season though and
Wisconsin will be a better dual meet team.  We were very weak at 165 this past season so the holes in the lineup should be gone by next season.

If I were to guess at the lineup in for the 2015-2016 year.  My prediction of the lineup would be: This team finishes top 10 at nationals.
These predictions lack specific knowledge that Brandvold will clear up next year when he tells us how the team is doing and any changes that I am clueless about.
One thing for sure, the Badgers need Thielke to work through his getting out of the bottom position problem and get Breske on this team.

125 Jimenez
133 Taylor- Lantz backing him up
141 Thielke or Crone
149 Lubeck
157 Jordan  -  Scharenbrock backing him up
165 Seth liegel -
174 Stilling
184 Christensen -
197 Robertson - Breske Redshirting
Hwt Medbery

Breske Redshirting? That would indicate that he is skipping his Senior year and enrolling early. Is this a guess?

boowrestle

futurerichguy,my thoughts exactly ;)//by the way i have heard from really good source that JT plans  to be at 133lbs.

you can run but you cannot hide.

leg turk

Quote from: boowrestle on March 31, 2014, 10:27:01 AM
futurerichguy,my thoughts exactly ;)//by the way i have heard from really good source that JT plans  to be at 133lbs.

He might have to beat Taylor for it.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

My hunch is Taylor goes 125 again next year, Cavallaris is the backup, and Jimenez and Lantz redshirt
Then Thielke goes 133 and Lubeck / Crone will be at 141, and Lubeck / Ruschell / Crone at 149.
I am assuming Isaac Jordan will go 157 again this upcoming year.

The following year, JT will Olympic redshirt and Taylor will probably go 133 and open up a spot at 125.  Jordan will eventually go 165, opening up 157.  We might have a logjam at a few weights by that point, which is a good thing !!  If Medbery becomes an All-American next year, he might Olympic Red-Shirt the following year also.  
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Gutwrench

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 31, 2014, 11:27:29 AM
My hunch is Taylor goes 125 again next year, Cavallaris is the backup, and Jimenez and Lantz redshirt
Then Thielke goes 133 and Lubeck / Crone will be at 141, and Lubeck / Ruschell / Crone at 149.
I am assuming Isaac Jordan will go 157 again this upcoming year.

The following year, JT will Olympic redshirt and Taylor will probably go 133 and open up a spot at 125.  Jordan will eventually go 165, opening up 157.  We might have a logjam at a few weights by that point, which is a good thing !!  If Medbery becomes an All-American next year, he might Olympic Red-Shirt the following year also.  

I agree with WWF

billymurphy

The qualifications for being allowed to take an Olympic redshirt will make it very difficult for Medbery to qualify to take an Olympic redshirt. 
I am not saying he will not attempt it, only that the deck is stacked.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: billymurphy on March 31, 2014, 11:19:59 PM
The qualifications for being allowed to take an Olympic redshirt will make it very difficult for Medbery to qualify to take an Olympic redshirt. 
I am not saying he will not attempt it, only that the deck is stacked.

I would have to see the list again - NCAA D1 All American's, Past National Champs in Greco or Freestyle,

Rutt placed 7th at the NCAA's and took an Olympic Redshirt
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrestle03

Even if Thielke is the guy next year at 133, it will still be difficult for him to be an All-American.  Every guy at that projected weight on the list is no slouch and Thielke didn't do much this year to prove that he can be top 8.

imnofish

Thielke did a pretty good job this year, despite being woefully undersized for 141.  If he competes at the proper weight class for his body next year, I expect his success rate to be much higher.  The man can wrestle; he just needs to be at the best weight class for his body.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Gutwrench

Quote from: wrestle03 on April 01, 2014, 11:13:25 AM
Even if Thielke is the guy next year at 133, it will still be difficult for him to be an All-American.  Every guy at that projected weight on the list is no slouch and Thielke didn't do much this year to prove that he can be top 8.

It may be difficult, but only because every weight is difficult to AA in.  However I think 133 give JT a much better chance then 141 did, and at 141 JT should have been a national qualifier.  As a small sample size, if you go back to the 2012 Midlands tournament when JT wrestled unattached as a true fresh at 133, remember that he did very well in that tournament.  He bumped off the #1 seed Sentes, wrestled Mango and Beckman tough, before being pinned by AJ Schopp in the 5th place match.  I propose that if he can do that as a true freshman at 133, then he can definately be in the mix as an AA next year at 133.

Jimmy

I think your place on the USA wrestling ladder is a large portion of the criteria used by the ncaa to determine if you are eligible for an Olympic redshirt.