Dec. 24                 Ed Ruth, Sr., PSU
Dec. 31                 Thomas Gilman, Fr., IOWA
Jan. 7                    Adam Chalfant, Sr., IND
                            David Taylor, Sr., PSU
Jan. 14                  Tony Ramos, Sr., IOWA
                             Mike McMullan, Jr., NU
Jan. 21                  Adam Coon, Fr., MICH
Jan. 28                  Sam Brancale, Fr., MINN

Hard to believe Isaac Jordan was not listed this past week with the upset of Taylor Walsh and the solid 20-4 record. When a 157lb freshman beats a junior ranked #4, that is big. I'm not knocking the Brancale pin of Gilman of Iowa, especially doing it at Carver-Hawkeye, but it is one match. Brancale is not even ranked and has been defeated and teched by moderately ranked opponents all year. Jordan deserved it more this week.

billymurphy

Jordan beating Walsh was a very minor upset since he was 1-0 against Walsh.  If Jordan beats St. John, then Jordan will be considered.  As it was, beating Walsh raised very few eyebrows nationally. 
When I saw Brancale throw Gilman on his back twice, that was something to see, as was Ness putting St. John on his back, or Telford beating Nelson.  Very hard week to claim the title of Wrestler of the Week.

MNbadger

No disrespect but you had 7 beating 5 or 6 beating 7 depending on when you count their rankings (Jordan and Walsh).
Brancale (and I am by no means on the band wagon here yet) was unranked and pinned (not a fluke , either-he put him on his back twice) #5
Ness #8 over #2 (a guy many think will be NC and has been a force for while).
I don't think this award is about their season to date.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

That Brancale stick was honey. Don't wanna go throws with that man.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TLV

Gotta go with Brancale over #3 Gilman. .First 5 pointer I thought was a fluke. Second proved that it wasn't.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Musky Hunter

Jordan & RT have the chance in a couple weeks vs. Nebraska and Iowa.  Would be awesome if they both step up. 

whatever

Quote from: TLV on February 04, 2014, 06:09:17 PM
Gotta go with Brancale over #3 Gilman. .First 5 pointer I thought was a fluke. Second proved that it wasn't.

Yeah, but I was surprised he horsed Gilman over with a cow-catcher......notice that move is NOT called a bull-catcher.

Just saying.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

TLV

Gee whilikers, I noticed that Gilman is not ranked this week and is not  starting for Iowa. wonder why?? ;D
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

TomM

Not taking anything away from Brancale, I watched the match and immediately afterwards I had the thought Gilman did not look 100% in the match.  Getting tossed twice was unusual IMO.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Perhaps upper body is his weakness.

Either he was ill or flat out manhandled.

billymurphy

Brancale is not a particularly good wrestler.  That is why his accomplishment of pinning the highly ranked Iowa kid, which helped Minnesota win the dual meet against a highly regarded Iowa team, so remarkable.
Graff, Liegel, Taylor, and Jordan have a shot at "wrestler of the week" this week, as well as our Varsity 149 lbs kid, and who that is evidently has not been decided yet.  Nebraska and Iowa will bring it.
Nebraska has some very tough guys, but that does not mean the Badgers cannot make this highly interesting.  A Taylor win at 125, and this match gets interesting.

bigG

I just hope they're ready for the B1G's. Tough season, then wrestle the best, then again. Tough, tough road.

stp

Just posted on Flo - Brute Wrestler of the Week: Isaac Jordan

;D
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: Musky Hunter on February 04, 2014, 06:28:02 PM
Jordan & RT have the chance in a couple weeks vs. Nebraska and Iowa.  Would be awesome if they both step up. 

Hey, I said there was a chance!  What a great weekend for Zeke. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf