The perfect prime rib roast.

Started by ramjet, December 26, 2015, 09:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Ahhhhh the best to date.

4.5 lb boneless prime rib roast from a well fattened prime angus (or other finished) steer.

crush and mince fresh garlic, Rosemary, and onion. I use a small food processor and Inused just the rosemary leaves from 4 sprigs and about 8 large cloves of garlic, the onion I used about one half of medium sized vidilia sweet onion.

Spread out some plastic wrap on the counter and set the roast on it. Spread the above mixture on the roast and pat it in you should have enough made up to cover the entire roast with nice thin layer. Now sprinkle a nice even amount of Lowerys season salt over the entire roast (easy on this) . Now rap that roast really tight with the plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before cooking.

Day of cooking take the roast out unwrap and let it rest on the counter for a half an hour.

I use a pellet grill to make mine so here what we do.

I get the grill up to 500 deg F and sear the fat side for 15 minutes. then flip it over and do the other side for 15 minutes. Then put the roast in shallow pan and turn the grill down to 225 degrees. Cook the roast for 2 hours and 45 minutes or until internal temperature is 135 deg F. Remove the roast and wrap it in aluminum foil and let rest rest on the counter for 1/2 hour. The internal temp will rise another 3-5 degrees during this time.

After that 1/2 hour remove from the foil and carve to your preference.

This is melt in your mouth tender and delicious. ;D

Do not forget your dogs LOVE the fat from the prime rib roast..... ;D

bigG

Very very close to the prime I made for Christmas dinner. One of the few things the whole family can agree on. Heavenly. 135 is the magic number. Usually "doneness" is best told by the human touch; but prime rib, you wanna good thermometer and check that internal temp.

Both my kids just tear into prime rib.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

no left overs at our house either G    ;D ;D

bigG

Wife, kids, dog, me....happy, happy, happy.

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

To have it trimmed too much would be a sin.

Fat = flavour (as they say in England)

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Well marbled grass fed prime is delicious just eat around the pure fat Tom and save it for the dog.  ;D

bigG

This is what my dog prefers over science diet or any of the other pricey ones.

Every grass fed animal I've eaten tastes kinda grassy. Corn fed, to me, has better flavor in the fat.

Grassfed butter is a crime. Based on a dare.

ramjet

Finished with both is really good.

maggie

I.m cooking a huge Rib tonight for a family party, I used to have a prime rib party every New Yrs day if the Badgers were play in the rose bowl, I would cook 3 whole Ribs through the morning, but the badgers have't played in the rose for so long now... :(   I always start by cut the Deco (rib plate) off first and tie it back on after rubbing on the Garlic, Tyme and Pepper and then rubbing it again with Olive Oil and Rosemary Mixed with a little bit of flour after it's back on and I always let it sit out for an hr before putting it in the oven, I put it in the pre-heated oven at 500 for the first 15 mins then turn down to 325 for 12 Mins an lb, the temp will be close real close to 130-135 after 3 to 3 1/2 hrs and will be perfect after sitting out for a good half hr, before eating...   :)....i have also placed several smaller 7-10 lb'er on the rotisserie and they come out perfect med rare at 15 mins a lb.. :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

325 seems high I am slow and low guy rather take the extra time but the first part is exactly the key and the fresh ingredients work the best for coaxing that flavor. LOVE PRIME RIB the best cut of meat. We have one of the Faberware rotisserie they work great for the rib roast but I really prefer the pelt grill.

bigG

Gotta give that fat some time to melt. I can think of few (there are 2-3)other dishes that showcase fat quite as much and well. Gottaluvdatphat!!!!

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on February 01, 2016, 04:18:27 PM
Gotta give that fat some time to melt. I can think of few (there are 2-3)other dishes that showcase fat quite as much and well. Gottaluvdatphat!!!!

Not to mention beef spare ribs!!!!!!!!