Perch fry

Started by aarons23, February 07, 2014, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

Decided to do a fish fry for the family tonight.  Fish of choice is lake perch....need some suggestions on the best way to batter and deep fry.  BigG...Rammy?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Handles II

Perch = awesome

I like to dredge my fish in an egg wash then use a 50/50 mix of Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs (they come in a can) and smooshed townhouse or ritz crackers (the kids like doing this part). pan fry with a small amount of canola oil until browned. If I don't have an ingredient, I find something in the cupboard that will work.

Have a great meal.

bigG

Nice. I agree on the Ritz , or whatever, crackers. You can also pulverize those in a spice grinder and incorporate in the flowers. I like black pepper in my flour. Cayenne if you know it's the right crowd. Here in milk country they think yogurt is too spicy. So, yeah , black pepper is just fine.

I might do the same but use a deep fryer. They'll float when ready; just don't let them float for long. Don't want 'em saturated with oil.

One little tid bit. If you thawed them, let them thaw slowly, pat them with a clean towel (dry them)and the egg, flour will stick much better. One little step that can make a big difference.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

aarons23

Thanks guys....just getting ready to fry.....used 1 cup flower 1 cup planko, little baking powder, garlic salt, pepper, salt, bubba humps sea food spice, 3/4 cup water. And 3/4 cup milk.  Mixed till smooth.....hope it works.

Made crab Rangoon first....mmmmmm.  Good !    And they are easy to make.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigG

I have a niece who makes it so well. Just her thing. MMmmmmm.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

I like the flour, egg, cracker crumb method.  Let the pre-breaded fillets cure in the fridge for an hour or so, before cooking.  It helps keep the breading from crumbling off. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!