WIWrestling.com Ranking Update Editions: Individual #5/Team #6 Jan 20

Started by TomM, January 20, 2015, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

2014-2015 Wisconsin Wrestling Online HS Ranking Update Editions: Individual #5/Team #6 January 20, 2015

INDIVIDUAL & TEAM http://www.wiwrestling.com/rank/rankindex.htm

All suggestions will be given consideration.
Send your suggestions/comments to the Wisconsin Wrestling Online Ranking Committee at: < wiwresrankingstaff@wiwrestling.com  >

When you send suggestions please be certain to send the following:
-weight class they are now wrestling (not the one they 'plan' to be at later)
-full name of wrestler
-present year in school
-name of high school
-specific qualifications/accomplishments of the wrestler(s) you are suggesting

It would be appreciated if suggestions include the correct spelling of the wrestler's name, team, grade in school, and last weight wrestled or the weight most commonly wrestled as well as the specific event where the critical wins/losses occurred.

There are wins and then there are wins of a higher quality.  Wins (in the current high school season) against ranked opponents would be helpful to note.  Season win/loss ecords are helpful.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

The Last Ride

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on January 20, 2015, 09:53:58 PM
Jacob Poches 160 Portage. 25-3.  He need to be ranked. Kid is tough as nails.   
Agree , 2 of his losses were to the 3rd and 4th place finishers at Bi-State
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

DarkKnight

Isnt he ranked?? I guess i see he is a bit low, i would think the ranking staff may move him up now that you said something...

copper63

Quote from: The Last Ride on January 20, 2015, 10:02:12 PM
Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on January 20, 2015, 09:53:58 PM
Jacob Poches 160 Portage. 25-3.  He need to be ranked. Kid is tough as nails.   
Agree , 2 of his losses were to the 3rd and 4th place finishers at Bi-State
Quote from: DarkKnight on January 21, 2015, 10:02:45 AM
Isnt he ranked?? I guess i see he is a bit low, i would think the ranking staff may move him up now that you said something...
I'm not really familiar with Jacob, He has a very good record. Does he have any overlooked wins against currently ranked wrestlers he could possibly bump.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 21, 2015, 10:02:45 AM

It probably isn't quite clear, but, you really aren't saying something until you do this:

All suggestions will be given consideration.
Send your suggestions/comments to the Wisconsin Wrestling Online Ranking Committee at: < wiwresrankingstaff@wiwrestling.com  >

When you send suggestions please be certain to send the following:
-weight class they are now wrestling (not the one they 'plan' to be at later)
-full name of wrestler
-present year in school
-name of high school
-specific qualifications/accomplishments of the wrestler(s) you are suggesting

It would be appreciated if suggestions include the correct spelling of the wrestler's name, team, grade in school, and last weight wrestled or the weight most commonly wrestled as well as the specific event where the critical wins/losses occurred.

There are wins and then there are wins of a higher quality.  Wins (in the current high school season) against ranked opponents would be helpful to note.  Season win/loss ecords are helpful.

matdad

Just out of curiosity; how does a wrestler go from NR to ranked 2nd in a weight class? You look at strength of competition for one tournament?!?! Injuries/illness run rampant this time of year; maybe a championship was squeaked out because another wrestler wasn't 100%? I feel that, just as anything else in life, those top spots should be earned, make 'em work their way up the rankings by winning multiple events and over multiple ranked opponents. Why do these wrestlers get to jump 15 spots to #2? IMO it has more to do with coach/program influence than any other reason.

Dale Einerson

copper63

Quote from: matdad on January 25, 2015, 10:27:51 AM
Just out of curiosity; how does a wrestler go from NR to ranked 2nd in a weight class? You look at strength of competition for one tournament?!?! Injuries/illness run rampant this time of year; maybe a championship was squeaked out because another wrestler wasn't 100%? I feel that, just as anything else in life, those top spots should be earned, make 'em work their way up the rankings by winning multiple events and over multiple ranked opponents. Why do these wrestlers get to jump 15 spots to #2? IMO it has more to do with coach/program influence than any other reason.
I don't believe a coach/program can influence the rankings committee to put a wrestler into the number 2 spot without earning it. If an unranked wrestler beats a top ranked wrestler he has earned that spot IMO. A returning state qualifier/champ returning from an injury also has earned one of the top spots if they are back 100%. Rankings are great for the fans but at the end of the year the matches still have to be wrestled.

matdad

Quote from: copper63 on January 25, 2015, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: matdad on January 25, 2015, 10:27:51 AM
I don't believe a coach/program can influence the rankings committee to put a wrestler into the number 2 spot without earning it. If an unranked wrestler beats a top ranked wrestler he has earned that spot IMO. A returning state qualifier/champ returning from an injury also has earned one of the top spots if they are back 100%. Rankings are great for the fans but at the end of the year the matches still have to be wrestled.

I don't agree 100% with your logic. Just because they are a state placer from last season shouldn't automatically give them a #2 spot above some other very good wrestlers in that weight class. You said it; they are returning from injury. Well, we all know that injuries can have a lasting effect on our bodies. How do we know that these injuries won't hamper these kid's production at other times during the rest of this season? As to your other point; a top ranked wrestler can be beat any day of the week. An injury/illness could limit that top ranked wrestler or a surprise headthrow could put that top ranked wrestler to his back for a fall. Any thing can and will happen. One day's performance in a 16 man bracket with 5 byes and only 1 top ten ranked wrestler in it, should not be enough to propel 2 wrestlers into the # 2 spots in divisions 1 and 2. That is my opinion and if I had a vote on the committee, my reasoning would be to have them work their way up through the rankings by compiling more wins, in events with tougher competition.

copper63

Matdad, I don't completely disagree with your argument. The way I read your last sentence in your first post made me think you felt a wrestler could be in a top spot just because they wrestled a for a certain team or coach. I didn't believe that was a correct statement to be made.

boowrestle

Iam glad to see that the rankings are serving their purpose,""giving the parents/fans something to debate about thru out the season as the kids go thru the grind of the season."The rankings give us a pretty good idea of who top kids are,,but really dont mean squat come Feb.The true rankings will be determined by the kids and not any ranking committee in Madison last Sat night of Feb. ;)
you can run but you cannot hide.

aarons23

Quote from: boowrestle on January 25, 2015, 05:17:39 PM
Iam glad to see that the rankings are serving their purpose,""giving the parents/fans something to debate about thru out the season as the kids go thru the grind of the season."The rankings give us a pretty good idea of who top kids are,,but really dont mean squat come Feb.The true rankings will be determined by the kids and not any ranking committee in Madison last Sat night of Feb. ;)

You are correct...I predict you will see some #5's end up #1.... No need to get bent out of shape about it now....use it motivation.   Committee can not know details of every match, every tournament and every wrestler....they are steered by what personal knowledge they have and what ever info is sent to them...and even that may not always be accurate.  Let's just be glad they at least know the names of the wrestlers.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

handsandtoes

I would bet the people complaining about rankings are just interested in 1 maybe 2 weight classes and most likely 1 division. Hats off to the ranking committee for trying to follow every single wrestler in ever single division in every single weight class. So and so beat this guy but lost to this guy and so on. #5 in D1 beat #3 in D2... Does that mean he is no longer deserving of the #5 D1 ranking? Come on man give them a break!

TomM

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." -Niels Bohr
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"