Big Ten Predictions at the NCAA's for Next Year

Started by theunionchair, March 23, 2014, 02:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: stbird on March 28, 2014, 11:24:49 AM
Being a finalist automatically puts your team in the top 20 doesn't it?  

Well, there's that.   I was considering ranking of teams throughout the season, all the finalists came from top teams.  But one elite wrestler does help you get into top 20.

It's pretty obvious that the best wrestlers cluster on a few teams.

I was just watching an interview with GWiz, the heavyweight at NC State. (see it free at http://ulive.cbssports.com/?sport=m-wrestl)  He said a big part of his development was that NC State provided him with money to travel and train at different locations.   That makes great sense, there isn't anybody in his region to give him competition.

Just looking at the Big Ten,  when Purdue or Indiana or Michigan State gets a rare, really talented wrestler, they generally don't go very far.  Even the very best wrestlers need competition to keep getting better.

stbird

I definitely agree.  Generally when you see a really good wrestler, there is another really good wrestler at either the weight above or the weight below. 

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 28, 2014, 01:51:19 PM
Quote from: stbird on March 28, 2014, 11:24:49 AM
Being a finalist automatically puts your team in the top 20 doesn't it?  

Well, there's that.   I was considering ranking of teams throughout the season, all the finalists came from top teams.  But one elite wrestler does help you get into top 20.

It's pretty obvious that the best wrestlers cluster on a few teams.

I was just watching an interview with GWiz, the heavyweight at NC State. (see it free at http://ulive.cbssports.com/?sport=m-wrestl)  He said a big part of his development was that NC State provided him with money to travel and train at different locations.   That makes great sense, there isn't anybody in his region to give him competition.

Just looking at the Big Ten,  when Purdue or Indiana or Michigan State gets a rare, really talented wrestler, they generally don't go very far.  Even the very best wrestlers need competition to keep getting better.

billymurphy

John Smith had 4 in a row in the finals. 149-157-165-174.
Did he even need to leave his chair?

Numbers

Quote from: billymurphy on March 28, 2014, 04:28:30 PM

Yes, they started at 174.  Question is what did he do for 6 matches?

imnofish

Quote from: Numbers on March 28, 2014, 05:37:23 PM
Quote from: billymurphy on March 28, 2014, 04:28:30 PM

Yes, they started at 174.  Question is what did he do for 6 matches?

Prepared to give interviews to the media, hung out at the concession area, took a nap, bought tickets to Disney World...   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan