“Hot Topics in the Sport of Wrestling”

Started by TomM, September 24, 2015, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

There will be a Breakout Session at the WWCA Clinic...
The title is "Hot Topics in the Sport of Wrestling"

If it is up to you what topics would you suggest be discussed?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

12 weights
JHI
Structure of middle school conferences
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on September 25, 2015, 07:45:10 AM
12 weights
JHI

everything Ghetto said except the reduction of weight classes....you can not improve the sport by killing the sport.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bulldog

completely agree with aarons23...maybe add in skin fold testing at a commutative site

Handles II

Quote from: aarons23 on September 25, 2015, 07:49:30 AM
12 weights
JHI

everything Ghetto said except the reduction of weight classes....you can not improve the sport by killing the sport.

But aarons23, 14 weights (and/or how they are currently distributed) is not helping our sport. In the eyes of those who hold the purse strings as well as an uninformed public, a varsity program that can't field a full team is a bad thing.  They don't get that we need 14 evenly dispersed athletes to do that. They don't care.It doesn't matter what sport it is. 
Adding more weights was only a benefit for the teams that can fill them with quality wrestlers on an annual basis. Going back to 12 or 13 could keep some kids on JV for another year or two, thus helping them and the sport. It could help more teams have full squads which ultimately helps in the eyes of the school board and public. That's the real important part.

ramjet

Coaching certification.
Head injuries.
JHI
JV state tournament.
Reduction of weight classes for DIII dual meets only.

aarons23

Quote from: Handles II on September 25, 2015, 10:25:38 AM
Quote from: aarons23 on September 25, 2015, 07:49:30 AM
12 weights
JHI

But aarons23, 14 weights (and/or how they are currently distributed) is not helping our sport. In the eyes of those who hold the purse strings as well as an uninformed public, a varsity program that can't field a full team is a bad thing.  They don't get that we need 14 evenly dispersed athletes to do that. They don't care.It doesn't matter what sport it is. 
Adding more weights was only a benefit for the teams that can fill them with quality wrestlers on an annual basis. Going back to 12 or 13 could keep some kids on JV for another year or two, thus helping them and the sport. It could help more teams have full squads which ultimately helps in the eyes of the school board and public. That's the real important part.

IMO your wrong...those with the purse string will view us promoting cutting weight classes as giving up and that our sport is dying.  Which is the farthest from the truth.  There is only two ways to cut weight classes ( both will reduce participation in the sport). One cutting the weights out at the top and bottom (virtually illuminating the little guys and football players.....terrible for the sport) or two by reducing weight classes in the middle and spreading out the weights more.  Why would we want to make wider gaps in the weight classes which will cause more weight cutting and less participation for the area we have the biggest number of wrestlers?  Cutting weight classes will not reduce forfeits, it will strengthen the already strong teams, maybe help one or two smaller teams for a year or so.....but that's it. 

Yes we need to change the culture of jv wrestling...that's not going to happen over night or by cutting weight classes and reducing participation. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

trout1

I like the idea of reduction in weight classes in DIII for dual meets only.  Many of the smaller schools who fit in this division are opting for 8 man football. This also may help other small schools add the sport back.

hasbeen

If you're looking for "Hot Topics" it looks like reducing weight classes is definitely "HOT". A lot of discussion here already.

aarons23

Quote from: trout1 on September 25, 2015, 12:45:55 PM
I like the idea of reduction in weight classes in DIII for dual meets only.  Many of the smaller schools who fit in this division are opting for 8 man football. This also may help other small schools add the sport back.

Which smaller schools are doing 8 man football?  I ask because I truly do not know of any.

It's very strenuous! 

trout1

From WIAA site: http://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Football/8PlayerFBJamboree.aspx

2015 Eight-Player Programs
Abundant Life/Madison Country Day/Saint Ambrose - 185
Birchwood - 87
Bowler/Gresham Community – 177.6
Bruce- 167
Elkhart Lake-Glenbeulah - 150
Gibraltar – 210
Green Bay N.E.W. Lutheran – 125
Heritage Christian – 164.3
Lena/Saint Thomas Aquinas Academy - 149
Luck – 125.6
Mellen – 69.3
Menomonie Indian – 240.6
New Auburn - 100
Northwood/Solon Springs - 225
Oakfield - 125
Oneida Nation - 101.6
Prairie Farm - 106
Sevastopol - 155
Siren - 131
Valley Christian - 64
Wayland Academy – 213
Winter 74.66

* Only schools with a three-year enrollment average of 200 or less are eligible for the end-of-the-season jamboree.

Schools with a three-year enrollment average of 200 or less are eligible for the end-of-the-season jamboree.

aarons23

Quote from: trout1 on September 25, 2015, 01:31:45 PM
From WIAA site: http://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Football/8PlayerFBJamboree.aspx

2015 Eight-Player Programs
Abundant Life/Madison Country Day/Saint Ambrose - 185
Birchwood - 87
Bowler/Gresham Community – 177.6
Bruce- 167
Elkhart Lake-Glenbeulah - 150
Gibraltar – 210
Green Bay N.E.W. Lutheran – 125
Heritage Christian – 164.3
Lena/Saint Thomas Aquinas Academy - 149
Luck – 125.6
Mellen – 69.3
Menomonie Indian – 240.6
New Auburn - 100
Northwood/Solon Springs - 225
Oakfield - 125
Oneida Nation - 101.6
Prairie Farm - 106
Sevastopol - 155
Siren - 131
Valley Christian - 64
Wayland Academy – 213
Winter 74.66

* Only schools with a three-year enrollment average of 200 or less are eligible for the end-of-the-season jamboree.

Schools with a three-year enrollment average of 200 or less are eligible for the end-of-the-season jamboree.

Thanks...I honestly didn't know it existed here in WI.  Im not against lower enrollment schools having a different set of rules to help them out.  But even in 8 man football it appears the WIAA is saying enrollment of less than 200 for a three year average is the starting point.  How many of those teams have wresting teams?  I can only pick Elkhart Lake out for sure.   

It's very strenuous! 

ramjet

Aaron you are not D3 we are struggling all over the state to fill the many weight classes. If they do in many cases its joke and only to get points off a forfeit. If you would spend even a little time researching this on track you see I am correct on this. Reduction in weight classes in D3 will improv the quality anfpd participation in wrestling.

Your argument against this is filled with misinformation and emotion and even I agree with HandlesII on this.

As far 8 man it projected those numbers may double in the next two years.

My goodness Aaron I cannot see how you can possibly argue about D3 you do not have a clue about it. Those who live it know far more than you.

aarons23

Quote from: ramjet on September 25, 2015, 07:22:53 PM
Aaron you are not D3 we are struggling all over the state to fill the many weight classes. If they do in many cases its joke and only to get points off a forfeit. If you would spend even a little time researching this on track you see I am correct on this. Reduction in weight classes in D3 will improv the quality anfpd participation in wrestling.

Your argument against this is filled with misinformation and emotion and even I agree with HandlesII on this.

My goodness Aaron I cannot see how you can possibly argue about D3 you do not have a clue about it. Those who live it know far more than you.

Lol.....you sure  read alot into everyones post.....i havent made any argument for or against d3.....why would I when we have you as an expert. ..lol.

It's very strenuous! 

ramjet

Quote from: aarons23 on September 25, 2015, 11:44:04 PM
Quote from: ramjet on September 25, 2015, 07:22:53 PM

Lol.....you sure  read alot into everyones post.....i havent made any argument for or against d3.....why would I when we have you as an expert. ..lol.

Well as related to the topic of reducing weight classes; you have not made any reasonable argument at any level.