Federal Court-wolf hunting ends now

Started by maggie, December 19, 2014, 07:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

that's what really kills me, your going to apply for a tag... :o...like i said, if ya have a problem, fix it! if ya don't , don't worry about it..have a happy new yr... :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

I was just on the Ft. today. Nice place for any critter to live. I think I'll get much of my wood from there. Maybe I'll get to see one. Doubt it, though. Chainsaws aren't too friendly soundin'. I usually see tons of stuff there. Lotta bald eagles everywhere, lately.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

Interesting that you brought up bald eagles. when they went on the endangered species list in the 50's their resident population in wisconsin was about equal to that of wolves at that time (about 40). They are now off the list and we have over 1200 resident breeding pairs (2400 birds). In that same time span, wolves increased to about 850 total. Some people on here, and elsewhere have been claiming how fast the recovery was for wovles, how quickly they reproduce. Apparently that isn't really the case at all, as most of us on here were witness to how slow the actual recovery of eagles has been, and their are 3x more of them than wolves.
Hunting season for bald eagles anyone? I think we are beyond the carrying capacity (based on my own opinion and not actual fact), and it's known that they have killed family pets. These are the same reasons why wolf hunting was started. Just sayin'.

bigG

Good points. I would like to see numbers of pet fatalities and see how many were hunting dogs and how many were nabbed from a yard, off the chain, etc. 1200 pairs of eagles? I'd swear I see all of them when I drive over the Mississippi. :)

Hound must be busy these days. Carrying capacity will be a hotly debated term. It took about 30 years to get the wolves to where they are now. Nice to see a happy medium. It's very different hearing from an opinioned person that we are at carrying capacity, as opposed to someone who studies the darn things. Ya know?

Gotta be a balance somewhere.

imnofish

When the eagles were making their comeback, one resort owner I knew was very upset because they were taking ducks from his docks and beach.  Personally, I liked the decrease in duck manure and swimmers itch. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Quote from: bigG on January 04, 2015, 11:18:35 AM
Good points. I would like to see numbers of pet fatalities and see how many were hunting dogs and how many were nabbed from a yard, off the chain, etc. 1200 pairs of eagles? I'd swear I see all of them when I drive over the Mississippi. :)

Hound must be busy these days. Carrying capacity will be a hotly debated term. It took about 30 years to get the wolves to where they are now. Nice to see a happy medium. It's very different hearing from an opinioned person that we are at carrying capacity, as opposed to someone who studies the darn things. Ya know?

Gotta be a balance somewhere.

In reality it was more like 60 years to get the wolves to 850, Longer than many of us have been alive. It took only 3 years and we dropped back to 350. It will take an estimated 40 years to get back to 850 again. Something to think about.

As for the eagles, you might be seeing some of the large numbers of migrating eagles, not just the "resident" eagles.

bigG

Prolly right. Just nice to seem them. Been a good bird year. had a huge pileated woody in my birch the other day. Just about 15' from my kitchen window. Looked like a little dinosaur.

bigG

Sounds like a long-standing political debate among lobbysists. Oregon Outdoor Council is a state pro-hunting trapping libbyist; while the humane society, among others, are wolf huggers.Too bad. I think our DNR should make the call.

Maybe if our state allowed biologists to make the decisions, folks wouldn't have to wait for this to be overturned.

I just wanted to know if any of Hound's pooches got hurt by wolves and how it afflicts his livlihood.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on January 05, 2015, 09:31:28 AM
Sounds like a long-standing political debate among lobbysists. Oregon Outdoor Council is a state pro-hunting trapping libbyist; while the humane society, among others, are wolf huggers.Too bad. I think our DNR should make the call.

Maybe if our state allowed biologists to make the decisions, folks wouldn't have to wait for this to be overturned.

I just wanted to know if any of Hound's pooches got hurt by wolves and how it afflicts his livlihood.

G you keep saying this when with little work you can find the wisconsin DNR biologists setting the wolf policy the law was based off but you continue line HandlesII make this political.

Again I think handlesII and you should Allow wolves to be released on or near your house and 5 years later I want to survey the attitude you have about them. Heck Handles has many acres he hits so they would be well within the eco system they were hundreds of years ago less the cars and houses and fido the dog.

bigG

Again, you seem to think there is one political side to this debate. There are clearly two. Handles harped on it; now I will ask you where you get this DNR made this happen. Please link us.

Make the work little for me. LINK IT!

Is there some mystery? I can't find this group of biologists and their agreement.

"WI dnr biologists for wolf hunt"

I googled this. Nothing. Please, lift the haze!

Handles II

So goat, why is it that a parent should show the wolf/moose video to their children? Is it so that they can see how nature really works when not interfered with by man? How one life sustains that of others? The overall circle of life? How many small individuals can overcome one large individual (my personal favorite). If so, good for you! I readily watch nature shows with my children, as did my parents with me. Death can be pretty gruesome, especially when it is starvation from a population being higher than the habitat can afford. Perhaps you could supplement with some information about Isle Royale National Park, and how left to themselves, the wolves and the moose have quite a symbiotic relationship, each population rising and falling almost in unison? Each population completely kept in check by the other as virtually have been all populations of all animals without human intervention.

Or is it that you would simply like to begat more wolf haters? Or perhaps haters of predators in general? Or a hatred of all things that hunt other things?
A cat playing with a not-dead-yet mouse, so they can learn to hate cats?
A dog doing the same with a rabbit, so they can learn to hate dogs?
Maybe showing them videos of wounded deer shot by hunters and still barely alive hours and days later would also prove your point?
How about hogs at a slaughterhouse being crushed to death by a hydraulic press?

Ramjet, 8 pages now and you have shown ZERO other than a report on the BENEFITS of re-introduction of wolves to yellowstone.

ramjet

G if you go onto the site DNR and review the plan and also understand the season was mag ament lol proposed by the DNR with input from its Biologists. For you to say otherwise because of some liberal democratic and tree hugger tripe does not make that gospel either.

Again if you guys want wolves to be high in numbers and prosper without management then by all means volunteer your area for placement. This would go along ways towards supporting the reintroduction effort.

HandlesII just so you know it's too freaking late NOT to interfere with Nature that started with Cain and Able....

Handles II

You mean the report I posted on page 1 of this? Yup. If you have another, why don't you post it? Big G asked nicely.

Handles II

Nice reply, I expected as much.  :o

This is an awesome video to show your kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q#t=231

imnofish

Quote from: Goat Roper on January 05, 2015, 10:00:36 AM
Couple of things, first of all wolves are "PACK" animals.  They don't prey on the sick and wounded as fish thought.  I have seen a video at the lodge we go to in Canada where six wolves kill a big bull moose on the ice.  According to the owners it took the moose over two hours to die, even as the wolves were feeding on them.  I would recommend all on here find a similar video and show them to their young children.

Second, Handles says the wolves weren't introduced well that is not completely true.  The DNR did introduce two wolves in the Shiocton area about 6 years ago.  They denied this of course until security video was produced (because the land owner had problems with burglaries in his hunting shack) and the DNR was stupid enough to set them free at the end of his private drive.  The DNR warden initials MY stated that if the locals didn't want to take care of the deer population these wolves would.  Needless to say the first wolf was killed within two months and the second was killed one year later by fox/coyote hunters.

All predators will take the easiest prey to catch, when it's available.  When I stated that, I was not claiming that they would exclusively consume those animals, however.  Try this: Snip off part of a minnow's tail fin before hooking it; then throw it into the school of minnows upon which fish are feeding.  Fisherman have successfully used the technique many times.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!