Badgers at NCAAs

Started by CLC FAN, March 09, 2022, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you think the Badgers land at the end NCAAs?

5 or more AAs and a Top 10 Finish
4 (5.5%)
4 AAs and a Top 15 Finish
25 (34.2%)
3 or fewer AAs and a Top 20 Finish
44 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: March 23, 2022, 11:30:08 AM

littleguy301

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 23, 2022, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: Harris on March 23, 2022, 01:10:16 PM
It was announced today on twitter that Koy Hopke is coming to the prospect camp!  It was also announced Brogan Tucker from OH is coming as well.  Let's go!

Wow that is great news! For those of you who know Koy Hopke better than I do. Do you think he projects as a college 197 or HWT?

Geez here we go beating the horse again. After Fargo last year koy expressed his interest in being a HWT.

Do you think a kid that is wrestling 220 as a sophomore is going to cut down to 197 in 3 years? Certainly can be done but I dont think he has any interest in cutting that kind of weight in 3 years but who knows.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

vsmf2010

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 23, 2022, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 23, 2022, 01:35:16 PM
It was announced today on twitter that Koy Hopke is coming to the prospect camp!  It was also announced Brogan Tucker from OH is coming as well.  Let's go!

Wow that is great news! For those of you who know Koy Hopke better than I do. Do you think he projects as a college 197 or HWT?

Geez here we go beating the horse again. After Fargo last year koy expressed his interest in being a HWT.

Do you think a kid that is wrestling 220 as a sophomore is going to cut down to 197 in 3 years? Certainly can be done but I dont think he has any interest in cutting that kind of weight in 3 years but who knows.

Sorry I did not know that this had been discussed.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 23, 2022, 01:15:48 PM
Even more important Trent is officially back. He says his redemption tour starts now and wants to bring a trophy to Madison, so guessing that means no redshirts.

Trent also said in his tweet: "this team is special..The culture and brotherhood of this team makes it hard to leave"
Pretty great compliment to the culture Bono is building considering Trent was a Davis recruit!!

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 23, 2022, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 23, 2022, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 23, 2022, 12:32:21 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 23, 2022, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 23, 2022, 08:55:13 AM
Quote from: asdf on March 22, 2022, 11:29:48 PM
Stating Academics is a reason why UW isn't getting WI recruits is not only a weak, weak excuse but it is an insult to insinuate that those who elect not to go to UW that they are not smart enough. 

Stop drinking the badger kool-aid and accept the fact that not everyone wants to go the Madison.  That is fine and I hope they succeed wherever they go.

Recruitment overall has actually been great.

Now tell me why WI ranked #60 in the tourney in placement related to seeding while UNC, NW, Princeton, Penn, and Cornell were all in the top 15?  Seems like all those tough academic schools are getting the best out of their recruits.

What NW did this year to get all 10 in the tourney and finish top 6 overall while doing it within one year of losing a top recruit and assistant coaches is simply amazing.  Oh, and NW did it without getting a single point in the tourney from a transfer.  NW has a 9% acceptance rate and 33-35 ACT range by the way.
That is a big negative from the tournament. While our 3 AAs did very well and wrestled basically to seed the rest of our team did not. They even wrestled lower than seed in most weights. UNC had 15 seed Clarke make finals, NW had DeAugstino place 4th after being seeded 10 with Yahyah, Cannon, and Davison all outplacing their seed, Princeton had 2 in the finals which was unexpected, and Penn had Composto AA out of 12 seed.

If you dig into this. Of the 6 that were not AA's, 4 wrestled to their seed, 1 wrestled above their seed and 1 wrestled below their seed.

125  - EB wrestled 1 spot below his seed but did get a bit of a bad break with how the back shook out with Arujau, McKee and EB all on the same side. They all one their placement matches and you cold make a case that they were the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best guys
133 – KB wrestled to his seed
141 – JZ wrestled above his seed
149 – AG wrestled 1 spot below his seed and you could make the case that his ceiling was #2 with Yianni sitting there so there was not a ton of room for him certainly could have finished 2nd or 3rd but he ended up 4th
157 – GM wrestled to his seed – did not get a kind draw with the 6th seed on the front and an NCAA champ in this first match on the back
165 – DJ wrestled 2 spots below his seed but he was definitely injured and if healthy I think he wins the consi semi and wrestles to or above his seed
184 – CW wrestled to his seed
197 – BA wrestled to his seed
HWT – TH wrestled below his seed
So basically every one below their seeds which is exactly the problem. Zargo is the only one who beat his seed and he only beat the #22 guy. Not a negative on him as he wrestled Matthews extremely tough.

No Burwick, Model, Weiler and Amos wrestled to their seed not below their seed.
1 out of 9 wrestlers wrestled marginally above their seed.

That is correct and I was actually mistaken Trent wrestled to his seed (my son corrected me).  ;D

bigoil

Thought I read PSU underperformed to seed as well.

They had only one wrestler marginally outperform seed as well, Brooks, only by one spot, slackers.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: bigoil on March 22, 2022, 07:37:49 PM
O'Toole had already decided on Missouri by the time Bono arrived, I believe he committed after Bono arrived but had already made his decision.

Yes...I believe I pointed that out earlier. So did Parker before Bono got the job. I've also repeatedly said I don't think Bono is to blame for not getting the recruits that are currently exceling elsewhere AND that I think he's off to an outstanding start on recruiting those in-state kids. Rivera -who it was speculated could not get into UW when it appeared he was going to Iowa as he was apparently one of their top targets...which isn't surprising considering what he did to Nate Jesuroga, a Cadet World place winner and top 10 P4P recruit in this years class- Is an outstanding get.
Grayson Clark is another.

There's no blame being assigned...there's no delusions of grandeur. I'm not just saying if a kid wins a state title or 2 in the State, that in and of itself means the Badgers should be going after him. The best in the State though?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Harris on March 22, 2022, 07:43:21 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 22, 2022, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: bigoil on March 21, 2022, 09:18:13 PM
University of Northern Iowa admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 79%; ACT Composite: 20–26.

Wisconsin admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 54%. Students that get into Wisconsin have an average ACT score of 27-32

NOT EVERY STUDENT ATHLETE IS GETTING INTO UW.

Does anyone know Parker Keckeisen's ACT or Grade Point Average? If they do, please don't share on this forum, it was a rhetorical question, but UNI was a SINGLE example because of ONE kid who we lost to them who's now excelling.

I also know for a fact there have been several highly recruited kids from Wisconsin who easily had the grades to get into the School who never received so much as a phone call from the Badgers(in fact...at least one got into a much more difficult school).

I also remember one of the Wisconsin Wrestlers was a class valedictorian. I don't recall if that was Keckisen or O'Toole or Buchanan.

Either way...not blaming the current Badgers coaches. Not blaming Bono for not getting Wrestlers who committed before he was even hired.

Simply said it'd be a good idea to get guys like Rivera, like Grayson Clark, like Koy Hopke, like Austin Sinclair...like Charlie Milard, the Mirasola kids.

Now can someone please tell me why the first reaction to that is a list of excuses and arguments, disagreements, pointing out outliers like Destin McCauley or whomever?

I'm clearly just not that bright, wouldn't get into Madison and I'm missing something. I know I said I'd stop, but I desperately need to know why that's an issue that ANYONE would even argue with? You'd think on a board with both Badgers fans and Wisconsin Wrestling fans people would be excited we've got some truly elite Wrestlers coming up and we'd want them to Wrestle in Wisconsin rather than the dozen other schools that has produced Wisconsin All American's in the last ~20 years.

So explain it to me like I'm a child. Why is that an objectionable statement? Is it because people think I'm attacking the Badgers? I'm not. Most of the kids Wrestling right now committed before Bono even had a job(as I've said).

Do they simply not want to set themselves up for disappointment? We're almost certainly not going to get all of them(should still make an effort though).

I agree with everything you are saying and would love to see the Badgers get more high level recruits from Wisconsin.  Personally, I think Jon Reader is an excellent recruiter and I love his passion and energy.  The entire staff and team has really turned the corner in my opinion.  I am not sure what happened between Bono and Askren but when that relationship went away it makes it much harder to attract top AWA guys who are dominating the state wrestling scene right now.  On the flip side, if the Badger coaching staff keeps improving and the team keeps getting better, I think the top level recruits are going to give Wisconsin a fair look regardless.  12-2 in the Big Ten, 9 qualifiers to the NCAA tournament, a Big Ten Champion, electric dual meets, and 3 AA's is a great sales pitch to any high level recruit in the state.  The results speak for themselves and the recruiting will continue to get better.

Koy Hopke wrestles in the summer for Pinnacle so getting him would be a challenge considering Pinnacle has a great relationship with MN but anything is possible.  Having Trevor Brandvold on staff from River Falls just makes it even harder considering Hopke is from Amery.  He is the real deal and would be a HUGE get.  When was the last time a high level Pinnacle wrestler came to Wisconsin?  Out of all the Wisconsin high school wrestlers not committed, Hopke is on the top of my list.

I also love to see the success the program had this year when so many people doubted the team.  Don't count the Badgers out.  The coaching staff is building something special.  Watch the following interview on Instagram and you will see a different side of Bono.  He loves his guys!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbRDn6yrw6k/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

They definitely seem like they're building momentum. I don't know how much more difficult Wrestling for Pinnaccle, but I am ignorant about that situation...as I am frankly about most of these kids situations...which is why I'm not demanding or saying if they lose Hopke to Minnesota it'll be a great failure. Simply...it'd be a massive coup for the program. And at some point, you have to break through and steal a kid. Apple Valley kids often went to Minnesota. Now, again, even though he didn't work out, we did get Destin McCauley and another light weight about 10 years ago who had success at Wisconsin.

I'm not sure I completely buy the club connection. These are individuals. And as people love to point out, Madison isn't for everyone. But, for a lot of kids in Wisconsin, it's the school they grew up rooting for and are more likely to feel a connection with.

And I would agree, just by virtue of him being a future Heavyweight, he has to be the top priority. Probably worthy of a full scholarship...which again, is rare.

The only addition I'd make to the staff would be to see if they could add a 4th coach from in the state who may have closer ties to the state...and Branvold would seem to be a great fit, but again, I have no idea what happened there.

These are the types of things that build on themselves. These kids Wrestle together. You have a group of Soph in HS and you get in on them now and you get one, and now you have a friend recruiting another friend, talking about shared goals for the team. You get guys who are competing Internationally like one would presume Hopke would, like Amos would, Hamiti. Those things help out the RTC...which we do need to support.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Harris on March 22, 2022, 07:43:21 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 22, 2022, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: bigoil on March 21, 2022, 09:18:13 PM
University of Northern Iowa admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 79%; ACT Composite: 20–26.

Wisconsin admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 54%. Students that get into Wisconsin have an average ACT score of 27-32

NOT EVERY STUDENT ATHLETE IS GETTING INTO UW.

Does anyone know Parker Keckeisen's ACT or Grade Point Average? If they do, please don't share on this forum, it was a rhetorical question, but UNI was a SINGLE example because of ONE kid who we lost to them who's now excelling.

I also know for a fact there have been several highly recruited kids from Wisconsin who easily had the grades to get into the School who never received so much as a phone call from the Badgers(in fact...at least one got into a much more difficult school).

I also remember one of the Wisconsin Wrestlers was a class valedictorian. I don't recall if that was Keckisen or O'Toole or Buchanan.

Either way...not blaming the current Badgers coaches. Not blaming Bono for not getting Wrestlers who committed before he was even hired.

Simply said it'd be a good idea to get guys like Rivera, like Grayson Clark, like Koy Hopke, like Austin Sinclair...like Charlie Milard, the Mirasola kids.

Now can someone please tell me why the first reaction to that is a list of excuses and arguments, disagreements, pointing out outliers like Destin McCauley or whomever?

I'm clearly just not that bright, wouldn't get into Madison and I'm missing something. I know I said I'd stop, but I desperately need to know why that's an issue that ANYONE would even argue with? You'd think on a board with both Badgers fans and Wisconsin Wrestling fans people would be excited we've got some truly elite Wrestlers coming up and we'd want them to Wrestle in Wisconsin rather than the dozen other schools that has produced Wisconsin All American's in the last ~20 years.

So explain it to me like I'm a child. Why is that an objectionable statement? Is it because people think I'm attacking the Badgers? I'm not. Most of the kids Wrestling right now committed before Bono even had a job(as I've said).

Do they simply not want to set themselves up for disappointment? We're almost certainly not going to get all of them(should still make an effort though).

I agree with everything you are saying and would love to see the Badgers get more high level recruits from Wisconsin.  Personally, I think Jon Reader is an excellent recruiter and I love his passion and energy.  The entire staff and team has really turned the corner in my opinion.  I am not sure what happened between Bono and Askren but when that relationship went away it makes it much harder to attract top AWA guys who are dominating the state wrestling scene right now.  On the flip side, if the Badger coaching staff keeps improving and the team keeps getting better, I think the top level recruits are going to give Wisconsin a fair look regardless.  12-2 in the Big Ten, 9 qualifiers to the NCAA tournament, a Big Ten Champion, electric dual meets, and 3 AA's is a great sales pitch to any high level recruit in the state.  The results speak for themselves and the recruiting will continue to get better.

Koy Hopke wrestles in the summer for Pinnacle so getting him would be a challenge considering Pinnacle has a great relationship with MN but anything is possible.  Having Trevor Brandvold on staff from River Falls just makes it even harder considering Hopke is from Amery.  He is the real deal and would be a HUGE get.  When was the last time a high level Pinnacle wrestler came to Wisconsin?  Out of all the Wisconsin high school wrestlers not committed, Hopke is on the top of my list.

I also love to see the success the program had this year when so many people doubted the team.  Don't count the Badgers out.  The coaching staff is building something special.  Watch the following interview on Instagram and you will see a different side of Bono.  He loves his guys!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbRDn6yrw6k/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Awesome. You can only imagine what he's going to look like and develop into 3-4 years into the future. He could be a massively important recruit for Bono. Tucker is also obviously a stud and looks like he'll end up being one of the top recruits in 3 years.

If Hopke choses to go elsewhere because "Madison isn't for everyone," sobeit. It's not the end of the world.

If he doesn't go to Wisconsin because Wisconsin wasn't the first College in on him or ONE of the few Schools in on him and offering, then that's a problem.  I would assume that's not an issue whoever...namely because it would appear Bono is doing a good job and his fair share of due diligence.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 22, 2022, 10:43:56 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on March 22, 2022, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 22, 2022, 08:33:46 PM
I have not seen anyone mention Braeden Scoles on this recent string in regard to top notch WI talent. He has been near the top of my wish list of WI kids for a while. Does anyone know what his plans are? I remember a picture of him taking a visit with 2 other recruits who ended up committing. I do not remember for sure who was in the picture but it was Scoles with some combination of Clark, Rowley and Bobzien.

Yah. He's right up there. I just didn't think he was quite at the level of Sinclair, Whiting or Hopke. He would be a great pick up either way.

If you believe Flo he is right there.

Flo Weight Class Rank

Scoles - #6
Sinclair - #14
Whiting - #1
Hopke - #4

I'm sure there are a lot of other kids that should be a part of this discussion. I was focused more on 3 kids D-1 from the Soph class...also mentioned the Mirasola's, but HWTs are tough to find(Hopke), Sinclair is ranked 4th in the Country as a Soph and I was just particularly impressed from the 152 pound kid from Homestead. 3 kids who may be at a weights we need to fill as we've got Rivera and Clark(just from Wisconsin) coming in.

Redeemer

Quote from: Army Ant on March 22, 2022, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 22, 2022, 08:33:46 PM
I have not seen anyone mention Braeden Scoles on this recent string in regard to top notch WI talent. He has been near the top of my wish list of WI kids for a while. Does anyone know what his plans are? I remember a picture of him taking a visit with 2 other recruits who ended up committing. I do not remember for sure who was in the picture but it was Scoles with some combination of Clark, Rowley and Bobzien.

Yah. He's right up there. I just didn't think he was quite at the level of Sinclair, Whiting or Hopke. He would be a great pick up either way.

You haven't watched Scoles in the past 3-4 years I take it.

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 23, 2022, 01:15:48 PM
Even more important Trent is officially back. He says his redemption tour starts now and wants to bring a trophy to Madison, so guessing that means no redshirts.

+1!

MNbadger

I hear rumblings the Gophers might get Hopke.....
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Maybe not the same air of the studs on this list but has any one ever thought of Ian Smith from northwestern. 2 time runner up to Whitting as a freshman and sophomore at 182. Now that Whitting, Ramberg are gone he could be a 2 timer at the upper weights. Has some out of season success also. Might be one to get ok n the contact list also if football isnt first in his mind.

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on March 24, 2022, 06:23:39 PM
I hear rumblings the Gophers might get Hopke.....

Well......Hopke is not eligible to be recruited until June 15th so.........but I totally understand with Hopkes tie with Pinnacle and being so close to Minnesota it could be a no brainer. Family is right there also.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Narwhal on March 24, 2022, 10:25:21 AM
Ohio State wrestling can't match Big Ten success, take 13th at NCAA Championships https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2022/3/23/22990701/ohio-state-wrestling-buckeyes-cant-match-big-ten-success-take-13th-at-ncaa-championships-osu-2022

I was just reading about that class OSU had where they got 4 4-time state Champs from a small school in Ohio.
Logan and Hunter Stieber, Cam Tessari...and arguably the best HS Wrestler in the last 20 years at the time, Chris Phillips. A 171 who came into the Ironman and beat 3 of the top 171 pounders(including the #1 ranked kid) easily on his way to a title.
He had one loss at the Ironman I believe his Soph year to Ed Ruth who was a Sr...which he later avenged. Hard to imagine that Hunter Stieber was not the #1 recruit on his HS team despite having just 1 loss...