Schedule; June 12 at the State Capital re: Joint Resolution on Olympic Wrestling

Started by TomM, June 06, 2013, 10:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Schedule; June 12 at the State Capital re: Joint Resolution on Olympic Wrestling
Floor period is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. on that day.
Long time UW Whitewater Head Coach Willie Myers will say the Opening Prayer for the Assembly session.

June 12th is a session day for the Assembly. The plan is to have all of the special invited gentlemen (Olympians etc.) sitting in the front of the Assembly Chambers. Representative Kuglitsch will introduce them and speak briefly about the resolution and then Willie Myers will give the Opening Prayer. After the prayer, the Assembly might pause for a moment for Representative
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

We were at the Wisconsin State Capital in the Assembly yesterday for the Resolution procedures.

We owe many thanks to Mitch Hull (at USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs and former Evansville wrestler) for spearheading the Joint Resolution legislation and also to Dave McCarthy (President Elect of the Wisconsin Wrestling Coaches Association) for his efforts as well in making this happen.

There was a crowd I would estimate at 100 people in the gallery.  The majority were wrestlers, parents, coaches and fans from Evansville.  I attended with Jim Stephenson, Gary Gutknecht and Al Bauman.  Some others I can name were friends, Mike Briggs (Plymouth, but originally from Richland Center), Chris Hansen (Head Coach at Hudson), Ben Pringle (Head Coach at Turtle Lake) and Bob Empey (Stoughton Head and WWCA President). If I tried to name everyone I could not and I hope I did not leave anyone out whom I do know. There were many people I did not know and their attendance was appreciated.

The presentation to Jake Janes was very nice. Jake did a great job addressing the Assembly and received a very long standing ovation from the Assembly and gallery.  Coach Willie Myers (former UW Whitewater coach) did a good job with the opening prayer and was accompanied by Tim Fader (current UW Whitewater coach).

All the 'special invited guests'; Jake Janes, Tom Talbot, Willie Myers, Ben Peterson, Andy Rein, Lee Kemp, Jim Haines, Fred McGaver (hope I didn't leave anyone out) were introduced and stood in front of the Assembly Speakers podium/stage (not sure what it is called).  They were each given many applause.

The Resolution was presented and passed unanimously on a voice vote.

I could not catch all the names of the Assembly 'persons' on the floor, but many stood and made positive statements about wrestling and some stated they had participated in the sport in high school and/or college and some noted they had brothers who wrestled.  

Chris Hansen

Dave McCarthy said something Wednesday that I think is a good way to live life.  He was talking about the trip to Madison and said you could never regret having went to the Resolution at the capital.  However, you could regret not going.  That is a good way to look at things.

TomM

Glad you were there Chris... Hudson/Turtle Lake.. Those are long drives.  Thanks for making the trek.

Assembly teams up to support wrestling
(Good picture in this article... and it's not a 'cookie cutter' article. And theirs an audio report too!)
http://www.wrn.com/2013/06/assembly-teams-up-to-support-wrestling/

Thanks to reporter Brian Moon.