suggestions to help me please

Started by thequad, June 03, 2013, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

As many of you already know I am receiving a courage award from the  National Hall of Fame.

I have to give an acceptance speach. I am uncertain as to what I should talk about. I would

appreciate suggestions as to what you guys think people would like to hear.

For those of you that don't, I am a quadriplegic on a ventilator paralyzed from my neck down.

Thank You for your suggestions.

Dale
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Kjohnson

Quality  over quantity, I think people would like to hear your story.  Give them something that they can take with them and tell others.  Give them examples of why you are courageous.  So, if they know someone else that is in a situation close to yours that they have someone to look up to. 

Congratulations !!!
  ps: I would like to hear your story on the forum.

Todd

Quote from: Kjohnson on June 03, 2013, 01:43:22 PM
Quality  over quantity, I think people would like to hear your story.  Give them something that they can take with them and tell others.  Give them examples of why you are courageous.  So, if they know someone else that is in a situation close to yours that they have someone to look up to. 

Congratulations !!!
  ps: I would like to hear your story on the forum.

+1000
"This page intentionally left blank".

Street Glide

Dale,

We've contacted each other before.  Myself in a similar situation my advise would to get through to others is to take advantage of time.  Meaning most people think they have all the time in the world, but do we really?  Time is a commodity that cannot be saved or banked like vacation.  Once it goes by, one can not get it back.  I've found I'm a happier person not putting things off whether its work or play.  Thanks Dale you have been a inspiration to me.

littleguy301

Quad,,,,,,,,first of all congrates to you!!!!!!!!

I would not worry about what your going to have to say. I believe that when you are up on that podium receiving such an outstanding award, most will be inspired just by your courage and outstanding charater that I dont think what came out of your mouth would matter. Just by getting that award speaks volumes louder than any words can say.

Quad, sometime I would be greatly honored to be in your presents, it would be a treat for me.

Thank you for being the fan and supporter of wrestling that you are!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

npope

Indeed, congratulations, Quad - a very nice honor. I think many of the thoughts and comments provided above are good as part of your process in preparing for the moment on the stage. May I add to them with a few more thoughts that may hold some value for you.

Answer this following question for yourself: You have something of value and importance to share with your audience - what is it?

While your answer to that question may provide you with a handful of specific answers, what is it that makes you really special? Why have you been chosen for this award? People see something in the way you are living your life, you're special to other people - but the reality is that you're special in ways that others may not even know. Only you might understand those "real" reasons for being special. Some of those special qualities won't have resonance with your audience and you should abandon them and instead, focus on one or two points that may have special meaning for your audience. Develop those ideas and understand what they do for you in your life and how, by sharing them, they may make those in your audience better people - even if only for the moment. So, first it's about you, then its about your audience.

Quad, given your experience, you have a unique insight into life; you are living a life that few can even contemplate. And yet, you get up everyday and soldier on and contribute to the world and those around you. Your experience is unique. Others faced with far lesser challenges have quit and crumbled, yet you persevere. I suspect, from your perspective, you are just trying to live your life; to live the life that has been thrust upon you. But that life is bigger than just you - your life stands for something to others.

You are fighting the "great fight" and people draw strength from your fight. Everybody understands that you didn't choose your current circumstance, but you are choosing how to live your life. Others learn from your example; gain courage from your courage. Use the stage provided to you to share and teach what you know of life based on your singular experience.

Again, a great honor - congratulations! Good luck with that moment in the sun.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Kjohnson

Quote from: littleguy301 on June 03, 2013, 10:23:00 PM
Quad,,,,,,,,first of all congrates to you!!!!!!!!

I would not worry about what your going to have to say. I believe that when you are up on that podium receiving such an outstanding award, most will be inspired just by your courage and outstanding charater that I dont think what came out of your mouth would matter. Just by getting that award speaks volumes louder than any words can say.

Quad, sometime I would be greatly honored to be in your presents, it would be a treat for me.

Thank you for being the fan and supporter of wrestling that you are!!!

+++++1000

bigG

I notice you're a very honest, straight-forward, no BS kind of guy on here. I think your best angle is none at all and just write up something simple and honest, and it will, in turn be powerful. Give facts, then feelings, then facts, then feelings, then wrap it up with what you would like folks to take home with them.

Personally, I wish you'd post more often. I like hearing from you. you're just no BS. Maybe it's us BSers who notice that trait the most in others. :)

I think the only way to screw it up is to talk like someone you ain't. They're not coming to hear Obama, Ghandi, Hitler nor Hendrix. They want to hear you. Give you to 'em.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

thequad

Thanks to all for the nice comments and all the suggestions. These suggestions will give me a good idea what to talk about.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

maggie

Conrad's Quad!....just be yourself.....it will work out just fine.... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Kjohnson

With all the technology, any way we can see or hear your speech?  video & post on youtube?

pantherphotoman

I can't really add to what was already said.  I think Kjohnson nailed it.  You are an inspiration to people like me and Street Glide who have realized that life isn't turning out like we had planned.  Be yourself.  You naturally inspire.  Congratulations. 

And yes, I think we ALL want to hear what you end up saying.  All the best to you!

Spartan

Dale,

Congratulations on a well deserved honor. I look forward to hearing your speech. Thank you for always being a LC supporter it is always fun to see you and visit with you at events.

Congrats

Steve